HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Build Log
2012 Vintage and Old Timer buildoff-the Dennyplane Jr

Hi ya'll. It's been a bit since my last Old-Timer build log. I started 2 projects in that time, but temporarily shelved them both...I knew what my problem was...I really wanted to start another old timer, and also get and entry in the 2012 buildoff...but what to build? I have plans, short kits and kits stashed away...something esoteric, like a Weathers Go-Getter? Something more mainstream,like a Playboy? Maybe another bird built for SAM competition, even though I've not made a contest YET.
Then it hit me..I have a kit of the Dennyplane Jr. This kit was produced by 4K's models for Denny Industries, at least that's what it says on the box. Mine is a later kit, as it came with three different sets of plans, the original Denny and 2 that were re drawn by 4K's, including one that shows RC mods. The kit has the metal cowl, a ton of lumber, machine cut parts and RC hardware including hinges.
I'm taking my time with this one, since I just don't see the Denny being a real "thermal ship", I intend to build her up as an Old Timer "liason", a plane that will be pretty enough to get attention, and fly well enough to be passed around to different people to try out. She's going to have a 40 4 stroke up front for power..with that in mind..
I got my bench cleared tonight and got started..only got one side frame done tonight, took about an hour. The 4K's kit had a pretty good instruction manual, as it pointed out that the fuse is framed up from the front of the cabin back, then the nose section is added. That can be gleamed from looking at the plans, but just barely, and it was nice to have that pointed out..everything else looks like a piece of cake..suuurrreee..
Here's pics:
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,644 Posts
Denny's Industries

Reginald Denny, Hollywood Blvd was it ? That guy already had RTF's hanging in his shop. Handbuilt in the workshop behind the shop. I do mean : not in China. Namesake. And was favourite filmstar of my mother. Picked up this Denny kit somewhere .... and it's the Condor. Love the glass tubes with Denny Dope (it was just dope then) and Denny Cement. Pre-carved prop. Lovely kit.
Have you got a dennymite for it ? I've got both the Permold PAC tank and the Tin-can version. Quite often for sale on ebay. The Pac version that is. I do have a book on R.Denny somewhere.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Nice model and project.

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Reginald Denny, Hollywood Blvd was it ? That guy already had RTF's hanging in his shop. Handbuilt in the workshop behind the shop. I do mean : not in China. Namesake. And was favourite filmstar of my mother. Picked up this Denny kit somewhere .... and it's the Condor. Love the glass tubes with Denny Dope (it was just dope then) and Denny Cement. Pre-carved prop. Lovely kit.
Have you got a dennymite for it ? I've got both the Permold PAC tank and the Tin-can version. Quite often for sale on ebay. The Pac version that is. I do have a book on R.Denny somewhere.
Hi Reginald...so Reginald Denny's your namesake? That's cool!! Wish I had been around to see Denny's shop.
Don't have a Dennymite, this one's getting three channels and a used, but well cared for and tuned Saito 40. We had this engine on the bench last year, and it just idles so slow.... Imagine what it'll do with the plug lit..
You ought to build that Condor, or make a copy of the kit conttents and build it..bet it would fly a ton!!
Cash
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czirh View Post
Nice model and project.

Cem
Thanks Cem.
Cash
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRC View Post
Hi Reginald...so Reginald Denny's your namesake? That's cool!! Wish I had been around to see Denny's shop.
Don't have a Dennymite, this one's getting three channels and a used, but well cared for and tuned Saito 40. We had this engine on the bench last year, and it just idles so slow.... Imagine what it'll do with the plug lit..
You ought to build that Condor, or make a copy of the kit conttents and build it..bet it would fly a ton!!
Cash
The forename Reginald is the same. Those Denny's do'nt go all tht expensive
there are quite a few about. I did fly my Comet Clipper a few times at my old club's field, I was one of the founders of Pegasus RC Vliegklub but left to join the Royal Broken Wings. There is an Ohlson 60 on that one and it is very loud. Used to have a Buzzard Bombshell and a GBerg Sailplane. Fourstroke is a good choice. Why did'nt you copy the kit wood with recent balsa and keep the kit original ? They are very rare. Like hen's teeth. Got the plans for the Good Bros Big Guff somewhere.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
The forename Reginald is the same. Those Denny's do'nt go all tht expensive
there are quite a few about. I did fly my Comet Clipper a few times at my old club's field, I was one of the founders of Pegasus RC Vliegklub but left to join the Royal Broken Wings. There is an Ohlson 60 on that one and it is very loud. Used to have a Buzzard Bombshell and a GBerg Sailplane. Fourstroke is a good choice. Why did'nt you copy the kit wood with recent balsa and keep the kit original ? They are very rare. Like hen's teeth. Got the plans for the Good Bros Big Guff somewhere.
Hi Reginald...I thought about copying the kit, but decided to build it. It's from the late 70's or early 80's, judging by the radio equipment shown on the plans and the nylon hinges included in the kit. If it was an original from the 30's, I probably wouldn't build it.
4K's built a number of old-timer kits in the sevnties and eighties..don't know a lot about them, but my Buzzard Bombshell is built from one of their kits, and I traded/sold a Lamb Climber rubber model that was produced by 4K's..(shouldn't have sold that one, it had a folding prop in the box from Superior Propeller!!)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Here is a bit of information which I found fitting for this thread. http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html

I wish I had been around in those days as well.

Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Greg, thanks for the link..yeah, I would have liked to seen that shop too.

Got a bit more done today, the other side was framed yesterday, and some crossmembers and part of the forward fuse was done today. The Denny is built a little different forward of the cabin..there are 2 formers that lie flat between the fuselage longerons. I left the bottom longerons untrimmed, they bracketed the bottom former, the upper former had 2 longerons added then trimmed. There is a bulkhead forward that ties it all together. At this stage, I need to add the rounded half formers, gear blocks, stringers and firewall.

Here's a few pics..
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
String(er)ing everybody along..:)

Okay, I'll keep this short. Maybe. Had some nasty weather roll in tonight, so I epoxied the firewall on before Gracie's bath..(BTW, she informed me the other day that her name is GRACE, not Gracie..I looked at her and said "okay, Gracie..")
Anyway, after I had a squeaky clean daughter, I decided to do a little more on the fuse. I have most of the bulkheads installed, about 75 percent of the stringers. I'm deciding on whether or not to sheet the fuse between the firewall and the former at the windshield. The original's built up of 1/8th strip and covered, but I might just sheet/plank this area. Don't know how I want to approach it just yet. I also need to install the gear blocks, solder up and install the gear, and then plank that area back to F-4, where the lower stringers terminate..need to install them too.

BTW, here's the bad joke of the day..Why does a chicken coop have 2 doors?
Because if it had 4 doors, it would be a SEDAN..

Okay..no more caffeine for me..here's pics.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,805 Posts
She looks great Cash!
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Nice fuselage construction..

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Nice.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post
She looks great Cash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by czirh View Post
Nice fuselage construction..

Cem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Nice.
Thanks guys, I do appreciate it..
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Sweet plane! I was a bit surprised to see the rounded front end. Cant wait to see this guy covered as the picture on the box doesnt do it justice.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber