HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Question
Is my RX dead?

I'm building an ARF and today I was working on my rudder which uses pull pull cables. I wanted to boot up the RX to make sure the servo was centered and didn't seem to get a connection with the TX.

What I have:
DX8 that was sent into Horizon for the recall.
AR8000 with sat.
Hitec 645mg servos.

I turned on the TX with the correct model selected then turned on the RX. The light came on and the servos centered but they did not respond to control inputs. I turned off the TX and the RX light went out. I turned on the TX and the light came back on but didn't blink. I rebound the RX, same results.

I checked the RX battery while the RX was on, over 6v.

I turned on two other models and both worked. I then got out an old DSM RX which is bound to my DX6i and hooked my servos to it using he same battery and the servos worked fine. Plugged the servos back into the AR8000, still didn't work.

Since the RX light comes on and goes off with the TX power it seems to be getting a signal so whats the problem? It worked two days ago when I was working on the elevator.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Might seen silly, but is it possible you have the signal wire from esc upside down in the Rx. Has a failsafe system locked out all controls? All I can think of to check! FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
San Diego
Joined May 2010
133 Posts
Re-bind the AR8000 to the transmitter.
QuadManiac is offline Find More Posts by QuadManiac
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
I had a simular proplem that drove me crazy trying to figure out. It turned out to be a bad connection to the sattelite. It was doing the same thing you described. I replaced the sat. wire, and all was fine.

And of course, when in doubt.....re-bind.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Doug, it's an fuel plane, plugging battery directly into the RX so no signal lead.

Quad, I did rebind to the DX8 and a DX6i, no change.

Flyextreme I did not try to remove the sat. but it did light up with the RX and also flashed when binding but it is worth a try.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Bob,
I know you did the bind again, but as others have said ... take a deep breath, back off for a minute, and try again. I surely don't know why, but I have had a few that are cranky and need another try. OH ... almost forgot this one ... also, it seems some don't like to be too close to the transmitter when you do the bind. Back away 10' or so when you do the binding. It did work for me.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
I tried to rebind a number of times and at different distances and even with a different TX. I have a FunCub with a Spectrum 6100 and at times it acts the same way but if I walk around the plane or reboot it will connect, this AR800 doesn't respond at all other than the light going on or off with the TX power.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Sorry, might be DEAD.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Even if you were to manage to get it working...I'm not so sure I would trust it after all this. Simply send it in.

Bill
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
I just packaged it up and it's going to Horizon tomorrow.

Also I had a new servo that I thought might be bad because it didn't move smoothly and I had tried it on the aileron then elevator channels and it acted the same. However after removing the dead AR8000 and using a 6100 to set up the servos I found that the problem servo now acted normal. Maybe there was just something about that RX that it just didn't like.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Well I think I found the issue with my AR8000. I found that one wire on the Sat. lead had broken off the connector although I know that the light on the sat was working during binding each time I tried. I tried the RX with the sat removed and it still didn't bind. Today I read that this RX and the AR7000 will not control servos without a sat. connected, supposedly that is a "safety" feature. Not sure how having a wire between the two break during flight taking out the main RX is a good thing though.

Unfortunately I found this out four hours after sending the RX back to Horizon!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
420 Posts
Is there a checklist of tests to do to figure if an receiver is dead or dodgy?

I have a collection of rx I do not trust but has not proven to be ineffective or defective or damaged, but I have no definitive reason to believe they need servicing: they have gone in the drink and so far been dried out, been in massive mysterious crashes, or showed weirdness in the air and have since been grounded even though I got the thing down in one piece (once, once).

I would like to know if they should fly again or go in the circular file or get serviced. (And, worse yet, I think I have some of them together with some new but opened ones).

Maybe this is hijacking, but it also seemed the next logical question too. Sorry, none the less.
demuddy is offline Find More Posts by demuddy
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
In that case I would get some type of foam trainer or other plane I wasn't too emotionally attached to and use it as a test bed, fly until you are satisfied they are safe or junk.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
Well I think I found the issue with my AR8000. I found that one wire on the Sat. lead had broken off the connector although I know that the light on the sat was working during binding each time I tried. I tried the RX with the sat removed and it still didn't bind. Today I read that this RX and the AR7000 will not control servos without a sat. connected, supposedly that is a "safety" feature. Not sure how having a wire between the two break during flight taking out the main RX is a good thing though.

Unfortunately I found this out four hours after sending the RX back to Horizon!
This is what I was trying to get you to check out....... Mine had a loose wire that was almost impossible to detect.

At least you know now
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Well after I read your comment I disconnected the sat., that is when I found 1 wire broken and it still didn't work. What I didn't know or missed it if it was mentioned is that this RX will not work without the sat. I thought the sat. was optional, I know the Orange RX I use in other planes work with or without the sat. Now I know.

OTOH when I tried rebinding more than once I saw the sat light blinking so I assumed it was OK, I don't know if you could have one broken wire on the lead and still have the sat light act normal. I was thinking I might have broke the wire while trying to unplug it. Anyway Horizon will have the RX in a few days.