Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 92PathSE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
Discussion
Soldering inside a foam plane

Too lazy to remove the ESC that's glued in the fuse? Break out the Reynolds Wrap.

92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
ROFL, good for solder drip but I imagine if you let that tip touch that tin foil it's still going to let a lot of heat through
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
It saved the plane from having a few holes in the bottom, that's for sure. It's amphibious so leaks are no good.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
It saved the plane from having a few holes in the bottom, that's for sure. It's amphibious so leaks are no good.
What do you think of the A5? I am I was thinking of getting one as a first sea plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
I'll compare it to the HZ Super Cub, since that's the only other float plane I've flown.

I've only flown the A5 twice, but it seems fine so far. It handles better than the Super Cub in the water for sure, although I tested it when there was no wind at all.

The recommended CG setting (30-35mm) seems a bit too far forward. I'm going to try it again at about 40mm. At 30mm, my up elevator trim was maxed out and I still had to add some on the stick to fly level at any throttle setting. I am using 2250mAh 45C packs, which is probably why the CG setting isn't perfect to spec. 2200s are recommended.

I expect 10 minute flights with some reserve. I fly off a lake that is busy on the weekends with ski boats, so some reserve is kinda important. After 9 minutes, voltage was still up at 11.8V, although I'm a bit conservative when it comes to speed.

Speaking of speed, it's pretty quick. I had a botched landing attempt that required a steep climb to avoid some trees. There's also a power line... It climbed nearly vertical up to about 75' but it was going to stall. I hit full right rudder, dropped back down below the power line, leveled out about 5' off the water and came screaming past where I was standing on a dock. It was easily doing 50mph but probably more like 65. I was in panic mode.

The finish work was pretty good. Better than my Super Cub. They went to a lot of trouble having it appear scale.

I've seen a lot of videos of people trying to land this plane too quickly or too fast. Getting the speed right is a challenge if you're used to flying something slower. This plane does not float around like the Super Cub.

At full throttle, it is LOUD, but in a good way.

It does have a bit of dutch roll. It wasn't a problem, but I am a little concerned with the foam becoming weak. I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

Once I get some time with it I'll be able to give you a better idea of how it flies, but so far it seems good. I am in no way disappointed.

Check this thread for other opinions:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478925
(start at maybe page 15. early pages are all speculation.)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Running it on 3S or 4S? Seems like a good plane to put flaps on if it doesn't already I am going to check out that thread too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
Sorry, 3S. There's no flaps. I might do that in the future.