HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
OH yeah, I always use a BEC. Right now I am being startled by the price of 9 gram digital servos. GULP......
25 bucks each for HyTec HS5045HB, dammmm.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-504...5hb_servo.html
Ron
I have used these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6314
They are a bit heavier but only $5.76
Lots more from HK
Galand is online now Find More Posts by Galand
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Despite a bit of breeze (10mph, gusting to 15+), I maidened my A3 this morning.

Worked great!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Despite a bit of breeze (10mph, gusting to 15+), I maidened my A3 this morning.

Worked great!

Tantalizing!!!
Tell us some more.
Galand is online now Find More Posts by Galand
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
A flight video would be worth a thousand words.

But I don't do video. Yet.

So here are some photos of the A3 gyro setup, on the underside of the wing of my Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick.

This was my test flight protocol:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=58

With the gain set at about 40% in each axis, the plane flew straight and smoothly, tracking where I pointed her, despite a breeze and gusts which otherwise would have made her much twitchier.

I'm new to both gyros and 3D flying, so I'll leave it to others to speak more authoritatively. But, for me, and in today's windy conditions, basic aerobatics (loops, rolls, hovers, KE, etc.) were much easier to execute smoothly with the help of the gyro.

In calm air, the Slick is a beautiful flyer -- and really doesn't need a gyro at all. Conveniently, then, when I want the gyro off, it takes only a flat-blade screwdriver and few seconds to turn the gain down to zero on the three potentiometers. With the gains at zero, it's as if there's no gyro.

Likewise, I can bring the gyro back to life with a quick turn of the pots.

(I'm going to see whether the gyro switch my DX6i will allow me to turn the gyro on-and-off in flight. Any of you old-hands or rocket scientists know about that???)

I didn't notice any reduction in flight time due to the gyro's extra power consumption and servo activity. But I'll have to watch for that.....as well as for signs of extra wear-and-tear on the servos -- which might shorten their life.

IMHO, this first experience with the A3 was highly successful and suggests that it has the potential to do much more -- for more-advanced airplanes and pilots.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Thanks for the description of your experiences.
Quote:
(I'm going to see whether the gyro switch my DX6i will allow me to turn the gyro on-and-off in flight. Any of you old-hands or rocket scientists know about that???)
..:
The A3 only takes in 3 channels from the receiver: aileron, elevator and rudder.
As I recall, the gyro switch typically controls another channel (ch. 5 for most heli's, I think), so to me, the A3 will never see the effects of the gyro switch.

The A3 will need to take in the gyro channel from the receiver to see the effects of the gyro switch.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Thanks for the description of your experiences.

The A3 only takes in 3 channels from the receiver: aileron, elevator and rudder.
As I recall, the gyro switch typically controls another channel (ch. 5 for most heli's, I think), so to me, the A3 will never see the effects of the gyro switch.

The A3 will need to take in the gyro channel from the receiver to see the effects of the gyro switch.
To turn the A3 on and off you would need to have a separate lead from the unit with dedicated circuitry to accomplish the task of turning the unit on and off..This unit doesn't have this circuitry...If you mark the pots where you like the settings then you can always turn the pots off/on like Pugs did...Great review, Pugsam!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
This is a video I did a while back for switching gyro rates on the cheapo's. The switch setup could apply for your needs.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...b7ac26a0e6b6c2
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
This is a video I did a while back for switching gyro rates on the cheapo's. The switch setup could apply for your needs.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...b7ac26a0e6b6c2
Would you need one for each channel or could you use one for all three channels???...Can you show how you could wire this up to control all three servos???...Like I stated, you would need separate circuitry to accomplish this---Looks like just what we need if you can turn all of the A3 unit on/off...

Kevin
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Well, I tried the Eagle A3 system as well, but with only one airframe so far, I would not say: "AS3X---Move Over!!!" for sure. I'll have to try it in a different airframe, but in my little Sbach, the AS3X technology is VERY safe and not about to move over.... Sure enough, the whole aircraft, with the board on it is just a bit over 70 grams, and with only 19 inch wingspan, it's almost in the ultra-micro caterory. So, who knows, maybe the Eagle A3 will be happier in a heavier airframe (which is likely what it was designed for).

My positives:
- Very easy to install
- VERY easy to tune
- Not power hungry for sure (I'm using a 6amp Turnigy ESC with a 1amp BEC for the whole airplane!)
- As a simple 3-Axis gyro system, it's working perfectly. Ex.: you can make beautiful flat turn with the rudder only.

My negatives:
- It's not even close to the AS3X technology. Yes, I've been spoiled, but this doesn't touch AS3X as far as fighting wind, or helping you doing hover or KEs in the wind...
- 8 grams is a lot particularly on a small airplane (heck, it's 1/7 of the whole weight of my airplane!)
- Doesn't come with cables (those are cheap enough, so sell it for $2 more but include the cables.
- Make a version without the onboard connectors. That may reduce the wiring clutter a bit if we can solder wiring directly to the board.

So, for me, again, AS3X is very safe! I'll have to try it on a bigger airframe to see if the added weight/inertia make things better. But so far, yep, at $30, it's an awesome 3 gyro solution that work well and is easy to tune, but that won't replace AS3X anytime soon.

Blue Foamy Sbach 19" with Eagle A3 gyro system onboard (4 min 25 sec)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
RG,

All good points!

Yes, my Extra Slick is 32" wingspan -- probably more the size that the A3 is intended for.

And I agree with you about how awesome AS3X is. My Beast 3D was the greatest (until I flew it so much, and so poorly, that I beat it to death).

At the top of my shopping list right now are three AS3X birds which I hope will be available soon: the MiG 15, Carbon Cub, and UM Spitfire.

Will you try your A3 in a larger airframe -- a size where HH isn't offering AS3X (yet)?

It's nice to see one of your videos where the ground isn't covered with snow.

Dave
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
RG---You have know I was kidding about "AS3X---Move Over!!!".......That was a teaser title to get modelers involved and discussing the device....Comes from my salesman days I guess...

Pugs and RG----Good reviews!!!...I'm looking to get one of these for my 49" Sukhoi...Note the home-made SFG's...I have a How-To thread on how to build your own SFG's..

Kevin
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Will you try your A3 in a larger airframe -- a size where HH isn't offering AS3X (yet)?

It's nice to see one of your videos where the ground isn't covered with snow.

Dave
LOL, yes, snow is gone! I will definitively try it in a larger and heavier aircraft in a few weeks. As I said, I also want to try my Sbach indoor, so this may delay things a bit. Will then probably go into my Funtana, or my Lancair or I may also fix my old Stryker C (damaged while hitting one lonely post in the middle of a HUGE field) so I can try it on a wing (not using my Q though, keeping that one as is, for a while still... No way, I'm screwing my lovely boomerangs with some added electronic!)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Pugs and RG----Good reviews!!!...I'm looking to get one of these for my 49" Sukhoi...Note the home-made SFG's...I have a How-To thread on how to build your own SFG's..

Kevin
Look like a great bird for this board! As I said, I suspect a large and heavy bird will yield much better results than I had. Just make sure you have access to the C.G. when you pull the top. Battery can go over the board while flying, but technically, it should be stuck right on top of C.G. and those little potentiometers must be easily accessible. I tuned mine ten times already... That's truly one of the nicest thing about this little board. Very easy to adjust to taste. But again, looking at my fleet, some of my birds would not be good, or I would have to make another access panel so I can tweak it quickly.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Kevin, I looked over the user manual and for anyone wanting to turn of the A3, I would suggest getting the guardian as there would require a lot of mucking about wiring a triple switch system. It's doable but for me, I would pay the extra 30 bucks and be done. I think the guardian is the one to class as AS3X for the big models?

RG, great feedback and thanks for the vid and report!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Kevin, I looked over the user manual and for anyone wanting to turn of the A3, I would suggest getting the guardian....
OK, I'll bite..........

- Does the Guardian have a firm availability date yet?

- Can the Guardian be turned on-and-off in flight with a DX6i, or does that require a more sophisticated TX? (For the A3, it takes only a turn of the screwdriver -- but obviously not in flight!)