HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Brushless Sensored Motor: Standard Pinout?

Hi, sorry if the answer to this is obvious... I'm interested in building my own brushless motor controller. Bought a sensored motor, and it has a plug/cable with six pins that i presume go to the hall sensors. But I really don't know what's in there.

It's a duratrex motor (here)

Is there an agreed upon standard between motor manufacturers and ESC manufacturers? ie are these standardized, and does anyone know what power to supply it and what to read out?

Thanks in advance.

Attaching an image of the socket
lcgerke is offline Find More Posts by lcgerke
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:24 PM
Sebastopol, CA
Joined May 2006
446 Posts
I have no idea about a standard, and there is not much info on the manufacturer page. Best bet is to ask their tech support.

http://www.duratrax.com/techsupport/index.html

Dan
IneptOne is offline Find More Posts by IneptOne
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,919 Posts
Tower Hobbies has some pretty good info on the motor and a controller for it:

motor - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=DTXC3445

tech info - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=DTXC3445#tech

sensored controller - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZXJ5&P=V

tech info on controller - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XZXJ5&P=V#tech

It would seem to me that if you connect a sensored motor to a ESC that was intended for use with sensorless motors, that the motor should work fine.

The motor is a passive part of the process and would not know the difference, would it? The sensorless ESC would be able to do it's normal job of reading the back EMF and controlling the motor wouldn't it?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2007
891 Posts
Hall sensors come in many different types. There is the bare Hall element which is what many CDROM and disk drive motors have. There is the latched type, both latched on or off. There is the switch type that are on or off and so on.

First find out what type of sensor you have and then worry about the pin out. You may have to take the motor apart to determine the sensor type.

Six pins could imply bare sensor elements, two pins for each sensor.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Sebastopol, CA
Joined May 2006
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
It would seem to me that if you connect a sensored motor to a ESC that was intended for use with sensorless motors, that the motor should work fine.

The motor is a passive part of the process and would not know the difference, would it? The sensorless ESC would be able to do it's normal job of reading the back EMF and controlling the motor wouldn't it?
Yep, motor will work fine on a sensorless controller. I think the OP is interested in making a sensored motor controller though.

Dan
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:16 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,919 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right, Dan.

The question just crossed my mind and I thought I would ask about it.

And I thought maybe he could do without the need for the more complicated/expensive ESC if he did not know that.

Is there is any advantages to the sensored motors? They had pretty much disappeared from the scene when I got started a few years ago so.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sebastopol, CA
Joined May 2006
446 Posts
Actually the firmware for a sensored ESC is much simpler from a programming standpoint. You do not need any special startup code to get things moving, and you do not have to try and detect zero crossings. The only downside is that the motors have to have sensors, and the reliability can be less because there is more wiring that can break.

The real upside to a sensored system is that the motor does not need to be spinning in order for the ESC to determine which motor phases to drive. Because of this, it is much better for traction applications or any application where the inertia is large. Sensored motors work fine right down to zero RPM. If the ESC is current limiting, you can operate in torque mode. Instead of commanding an RPM, you command an output torque.

Dan
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:19 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,939 Posts
Hi
IMHO the connector is "EFRA standard" (RC cars)
see here page 25
http://mgm-compro.com/manuals/en-man...-071011-a1.pdf
Pin #1 – black wire, ground potential (minus)
Pin #2 – orange wire, sensor phase C
Pin #3 – white wire, sensor phase B
Pin #4 – green wire, sensor phase A
Pin #5 – blue wire, motor temperature sensing, 10 k NTC
(other end of sensor is on ground potential, pin #1)
Pin #6 – red wire, sensors feeding, +5.0 V ± 10%.
(supply voltage for sensors provide controller, don΄t connect external voltage !)
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Thanks each of you for your excellent replies. I'll proceed based on your advice, louis, and hope for the best. if i burn it.... well, i guess then i'll tear it apart and see what's in there.

will report back. thanks again!
lcgerke is offline Find More Posts by lcgerke
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Exactly What I Was Looking For

I'm also planning on making my own controller. I searched long and hard to find a simple pinout, THANKS Fourdan. Only question now is if this is a standard that every brushless rc sensored motor manufacturer follows.
ideled is offline Find More Posts by ideled