HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
Rogers Municipal, Arkansas, United States
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
jda, another thing I did that I probably wouldn't do were I to build the model today was to paint it with gloss paint. I don't think the real Emma C. Berry had high gloss paint. Also, I really didn't do any research at all. I just built the model according to the plans. Remember, we didn't have the internet to look things up back then. My, have things changed during those 30 years! And again, this was the first model of any kind for me to build other than the little plastic models when I was kid.
Benny Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Benny Thompson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:49 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,260 Posts
Nice build Benny, and Welcome.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Benny, Hope you get back to boat building and that you will post some more pictures of your work. It's interesting how often I learn from my prior efforts and what I might do differently on any "do overs". Save that gloss varnish for the bright work. Here's a picture to let you all know I haven't quit. BTW, the doc said yesterday I'm going to need to replace my hip. That will put a hold on this build sometime in the not to distant future. About 6 weeks recovery time. jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Rogers Municipal, Arkansas, United States
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
Looking good jda. I hate that about the hip surgery. These old bodies do just wear out. Kind of nice thinking that my models will outlast me. I have a son who knows that they will pass on to him when I pass on to the other side.
Benny Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Benny Thompson
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:15 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Getting that yellow stripe might be of interest to someone. Since I was painting a light color over red primer I knew it would take several coats. So I marked the stripe line with a compass from the caprail down to the traiboard. Then using a brush that would lay down a good 1/8" line, I brushed on coat after coat of yellow and payed little attention to following the line. I just wanted a good coat of yellow slightly oversized. When dry, I used the compass again to draw a fine line. I then took 1/16" masking tape and carefully followed the pencil line. Then I painted over the masking tape with one more coat of yellow so any bleeding would be the same color as what I had laid down already. Then I masked below the tape and painted (brushed) the black from the stripe to the caprail. Let it dry and masked the black and airbrushed the green below the stripe. Always remember to pull the masking tape back on itself as you remove it. Frog Tape is a big improvement over past tapes. Try it. jda
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,470 Posts
Very neat look, nice teqnique.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:28 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Surgery has been delayed. Before painting the bottom I thought I'd better build a stand for Emma. For some boats you can get a profile of the bottom from the kit's plans, from the hole left in the laser cut frame board or I have used solder to get the outer profile of a hull. In this case I had some left over caming (?) from my stained glass days and this really held its shape after bending it around the hull. I went from port to starboard at the waterline. Transfered the shape to some pine and did the curve cutting on the band saw and the straight cuts on my old faithful Sawsmith. (Probably before most of your time) Some sanding on the belt sander and we almost have a stand. jda
Old May 03, 2012, 11:44 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,470 Posts
Sitting in the cradle really makes the great lines stand out.
We still wish good luck on the surgery !
Old May 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
A few days postponment on the surgery allowed me to work on the rudder. I used the plywood pieces from the kit and then improvised somewhat with the method for attachment. I got out my Staybrite silver solder, and attached an arm to the rudder post. Epoxied the arm into a hole drilled into the rudder and made a shoe that will attach to the keel of the boat. I think the pictures will explain it. That was Saturday, this afternoon I started on the bowsprit. I need to enlarge the hole in the bow of the boat before mounting the bowsprit. jda
Old May 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,470 Posts
Bowsprit get paint or stain ?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
After surgery and complications I am back on a very limited basis in my shop. It took three sessions to get the bowsprit (square) to fit into the round hole. And for Tim, it will be painted eventually. jda
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,470 Posts
Been very much looking forward to this project resuming Sir.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Slowly getting some time in my shop. (Don't get a bladder infection!) Instead of finishing the bowsprit, I decided to make the grate for the fish well. A sheet of basswood was marked with some 1/8" pencil marks and was run over the small table saw so that I had grooves that were half the thickness of the sheet material. Then I ripped off !/8" pieces and lapped them to form the grate. I will border the grate with a different colored wood when I install it. More doctor's appointments next week.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,470 Posts
Great to see a post

JDA, Great to see a post on this build, it is going to be a special model.

Sorry to hear about all those doctors appointments mister...

By the way, trade you weather, we are fogged in here and having the coldest summer Ever...

Tim
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:05 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Instead of finishing the bowsprite, I started making more of the cabins. So here is the progress to date. BTW, more possible surgery on the horizon so my sessions in the shop are short.