HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,114 Posts
An important challenge well met, that rail is a prominant feature..
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
It's time to think about how the sails will operate. I have two drum sail winches that hopefully will control the main and jib sails. Am not sure they will be up to the task. I have seen some layouts for multiple sails on this scale sailboat group but I think I need to post a HELP thread on the sailboat segment for directions on installing these winches. Any suggestions?? I feel like I need to get these installed before the coamings further constrict the openings in the deck. ALSO, anyone who ever ballasted this model, please check in! I think the ballast may be needed in place before the servos go in. jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
Rogers Municipal, Arkansas, United States
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
Old Emma C. Berry

I built the Emma C. Berry back in 1982. I have three photos of the Berry from back then. I last put her in the water last summar, and she performed flawlessly. I did make a removable keel to help in windy conditions. This is my first post on RC Groups and I don't know how to post photographs (I'm old and I live in Arkansas--felt I needed some explanation). I'll try to take some photos of her and post the old ones and the new ones.
Benny Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Benny Thompson
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
JDA, I ballasted it with old balancing weights from a tire store. When I added the removable keel I had to take a pair of pliers and pull some of them out.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
This is the kind of info I was hoping for. Your Emma C looks great as a schooner. Hope my sloop looks as good. Post more pictures. Just go to manage attachments, browse your picture folders, select the ones you want and wait (a longtime) for them to upload. They will come up on your computer screen and you can add comments. Click upload, close window and then click on upload on the new screen. Works for me.

Sounds like a detachable keel is in order. Hadn't made any plans for that. My thinking was that enuf' lead in the hull would suffice. Any idea of how much lead is needed? My old back may not stand this. My plan was to put lead & epoxy in small packages and lay them along the keel. They would be removable. At this point I have no idea how to go about attaching a detachable keel. jda
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
PS Benny, I'm old and live in Tennessee! jda
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
jda, I've told you I'm old...what I didn't say was that I was also senile. I took a picture of the Emma in her resting place over my computer desk. I got a little step ladder and took her down. I started outside to take some pictures, hit the top of a cased in door with the mast and knocked it off the stand I was holding. It hit the floor directly on the bowsprit, broke it into three pieces, bounced over and landed upside down on the masts. This is a tough little model. I examined it and other than the bowsprit there was very little damage. It's very fixable. I'm sending the one picture I took before the disaster and will send some more a little later today. I'm sending it with the damage. I'll send a picture also (baring any more disasters) of the keel I made.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,114 Posts
Benny, thats a beautiful model.
You must have done an excellent job of building it for it to survive such a fall.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
Some bad pictues...should have put it in the sun.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
The removable keel is made from an old anchor that I had no need for. I took a reciprocating saw and sawed off two edges, glued them together with epoxy and smoothed the joint with epoxy. It already had the vinyl coating. As I was gluing the two halves together I inserted a small metal bar (can't remember what metal--it was thirty years ago). If I remember right I had parts left over from a ceiling fan installation and among the parts was a cone shaped brass tube. I put this over the metal bar, smashed it down flat and painted the whole thing maroon.

The first few times I put it in the water the wind wasn't that strong, but it was gusty. It laid it over on its side and water got in. The rudder and sail control stopped working and luckily the wind blew it to a bank where I was able to grab it. I dried everything out and was surprised to find that it all worked again. That's when I decided to add the additional keel. I had to place it more to the stern because I had more keel there to hold it. I had fiber glassed the hull so that gave some strength. In the picture the keel is slanting backward a little, but when I tighten the bolt it's very straight and stable. I worried that it would snap off if I hit the bottom or an obsticle, but haven't had any problem.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
Some more pictures--loose rigging and all.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
In the 5th picture, you can see where time has taken its toll on the name board "Emma C. Berry."

This was my first ship model. I've since gone into rc airplanes, but I've started to crash a lot--maybe it's time to renew my interest in model boats.
Last edited by Benny Thompson; Apr 16, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Benny, Many, many thanks for the photos and my sincere regrets at the damage to your boat. I look at my mishaps as another opportunity for building. If I didn't I would drown in my tears. Old age has a number of downsides. The keel looks like it might work. I hadn't visualized anything that far back. I only used .03 oz cloth and two coats of resin over the balsa keel. Did you use anything heavier? I'm asking with the understanding it was 30 years ago.... The pictures are wonderful and will be extremely helpful as I progress. Even like your stand! You did an outstanding job. Thanks again. jda
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Am concerned about the decals that are over 30 (maybe 40) years old. They are very yellow with age. I'm thinking about scaning them into the computer and getting a friend with a photo shop program to see if he can take the yellowing out and then print out the resulting gold names onto new decal paper. Is that a plan? jda Once my decals are on a model I always spray them with a clear coat finish, sometimes a semi-gloss varnish.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2003
11 Posts
As I said, I put it that far back so I would have more support. It doesn't seem to adversely affect the way it moves in the water. I also built up a little dome with clear silicone where the sail control cord comes out of the deck. It's hard to sail it in any kind of wind without getting a little water aboard. The fix isn't going to be hard at all. I just have to replace the bowsprit.

I also put a clear coat on my decals---now! Back then I didn't know I needed to do that, and never thought about going back and coating those decals until it was too late. Your mentioning it makes me realize that I need to do it on those that are still there.

Have fun building!