HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Even if you use poliester, I would sugest that you get the primer of, so that a nother coat would adher to the resign and not to the primer..
If you are going to use any filler or glacing putties, do not worry about the primer.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
To take a break from sanding I decided to work on the interior of the bulwarks. The kit instructions call for 1/16" balsa and I have substituted 1/8" to allow for sanding. Each piece had to be sanded at the appropriate angle and a block of wood was cut to size for a spacer. It was easier for me to work with a long balsa stick, sanding it at the right anle and then gluing the end in place. Then I would cut off the top with sidecutters and sand it flush with the top of the bulwark.
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Still priming and sanding. Also stained some 1/32" cherry that I intend to use for planking the deck. I had to paint the yellow strip just to see what it might look like. That will get sanded off in the next few days. Progress has slowed down a lot. jda
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,378 Posts
Fast building, by my standards, and beautiful results too. Happy to see your progress fast or slow.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,381 Posts
Looks like alot of hard work, will pay off.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Except for the sanding it's a lot of fun work! Put some more primer on the inside of the bulwarks and added holes for the anchor chain. Current plan is to
1. Paint the bulwarks gray
2. Lay the decking
3. Add the cap rail.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:50 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Great day to model...... the bulwarks got sprayed gray, started the hole for the bowsprit and took the first step towards converting the schooner to a sloop.
In spraying acrylics I find it helpful to have a jar of thinner near at hand as I always seem to clog the nozzle with the acrylic paint. No big deal when I can just unscrew the paint jar and replace it with the thinner. Run a little thinner through the air brush and reverse the process and I'm good to go again. Did this twice while spraying the bulwarks.

You will see the replacement king plank that I made from cherry and the plywood one provided in the kit. As a sloop, I had to move the mast back apprx. 5/8". This distance was derived from the plan in the Mystic Seaport restoration project booklet. The king plank and the two adjoining planks were thicker than the piece of plywood provided. The remaining planking will be 1/32" cherry just under 1/4" wide.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
809 Posts
that's lookin pretty spiffy!!
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:45 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
The last few days have been spent staining the 1/32" cherry decking, ripping it to strips and then laying (glueing it down) it. I used Elmers woodworkers water proof glue, a Razor saw, a black Sharpie pen on the one edge of the plank, not neccesarily in that order. It is extremely important to get the first planks straight as you will see in the pictures. jda
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:04 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,381 Posts
Perfect alternate spacing on the deck planks...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
glen burnie, md
Joined Feb 2009
179 Posts
Looks great. I always liked that boat. The first time I saw the kit was back in the 70's when Jerry Todd had one. Can't wait to see it sail.

Just curious, what is the slot in the kingplank for where the bowsprite goes? Is this something the model kit has on the plans? The acual boat has a different layout and the bowsprite is set off the deck completely.
captmsr is offline Find More Posts by captmsr
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
You guess right. The kit had a die cut plywood piece with the slot. I just patterned my cherry peice to theirs. Apparently it was a mistake to do this as I am trying to follow the plans provided by Mystic Seaport. I have built several models with bowsprites and none of them were set into the deck. Dah! It's still correctible if I decide to make the effort. jda
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:10 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
One more picture to end the day's work. FINISHED PLANKING THE DECK.
I sharpened the end of the smallest diameter brass tube that I had thinking I might make bung holes on the decking. I tried it on a sample piece of planking and it didn't look right. Basically too big of a circle. Since my main interest is making this boat sail as a sloop, the bung holes have been sacrificed. Will come back to this project after Easter. jda
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:23 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,541 Posts
Why am I inclined to say "That deck is really cherry!"
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Hey jda,
I was tempted to make my seat side planking & floor planking with "bung hole impressions" that you could just barely see on the full size boat. I could not get a impression that I liked unless I really was rotating & pressing with a very lite touch. Because of that I decided the look could be ruined with out a lot of tedious care doing them so scrapped the idea.
Reg
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant