Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:13 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Build Log
Emma C Berry Sloop Edition

A little background.... A Conneticut native moved to Chattanooga sometime in the 70's and brought with him a Scientific kit of the schooner, Emma C Berry. He had started the build some years before his move and had the keel, frames and chines glued up. Some wood was missing from the kit and the plan was ready to fall apart. He also had a book published by the Mystic Seaport Museum telling of the restoration of the Emma C from 1977 to 1979 bringing her back to her original build as a single masted sloop. I will be attempting to build her as per the book, not per the plans. (Which by the way, fell apart as they went into the Kinko machine.) The first step in obtaining this kit was a trip to the man's home and a look see at what he had done. After showing me his full sized rowing skiff that he had built himself there in his workshop I was truly impressed with his workmanship. What he had done years ago on the Emma C was square and fair. He later showed me some of his gas powered airplanes and they too were of the highest quality. The end result was I purchased the kit at fair market value and he loaned me the book.
I decided not to plank the hull in the manner outlinged in the plan. Instead I cut 1/8" balsa strips on the old Jarmac saw and started in with the garboard plank and the shear plank on both sides.
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
She is going to be a beautifull when she done, nice work so far.
So is this a kit or scrach build?
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,622 Posts
jda- I too planked mine in a fore and aft way with I believe 1/2" planks I cut. Of course that was probably 35-40 years ago. I coudn't fathom that silly cutting out and glueing together squares in the directions. I remeber trying it and soon said this isn't going to work.
By the way, I visited her at Mystic Seaport before I move south.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
THIS will be a master's planking job....
Im pullin up a seat.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
420T, I too saw her years ago when I was at Mystic. Was surprised at how small a boat she was. Maybe it was because the Charles Morgan and others were so large. Also had seen the Scientific box art back then and thought it was a much larger craft.

The planking was not a great job but the method I use when I plan to fiberglass and/or paint the hull is to just get some wood over the frames and sand to the correct shape. I use Elmers Carpenters Max for the edge to edge gluing and medium CA at each end of the plank and on the frames. Just push the plank tight against the previous one and apply the Kicker to the CA.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
TEE, Sure glad you checked in. Q#1 How did you ballast this boat? Q#2 Did you have a detachable keel? Q#3 Did you make your own sail winch? winches?

I had on hand a Dumas geared sail winch but I can see already it is too big. The arms aren't the problem. The motor, gears and arm are too deep to fit under the deck. I've ordered servo type winches with drums that I plan on using. One for the jib and one for the main.

Sorry Rapanach, this is perhaps a 40 year old kit, (maybe older) that I will be modifying from a schooner to a sloop. The boat was originally a sloop in the 1880's, was converted to a two masted schooner sometime in the 1930's and was then restored to it's original build by Mystic in 1977-79.
Last edited by jda; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Wish I could plank like that - you just started and your almost done !
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Tim, You can't plank like that with a natural or varnished finish. I get glue everywhere with "my" method. First of all it's balsa and bends easily. No soaking or ammonia needed. By just running the glue bottle down the edge of the plank and then smoothing it with your finger you can get glue on the adjoining surfaces, your bench, even drip it on your shoes. But it's fast. Reach for the medium or thick CA and put a drop on each frame and the ends of the plank and put it in place. No clamping, pinning or holding. Go to the oposite side and repeat the process while the first side sets up. Elmers Carpenters glue MAX is really tacky and sets up in minutes. The entire process is different on a natural finish model. You need to be as glue free on the surface as possible. jda
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
I see !
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Great trick to glue the deck to the top rail THEN put the last plank on !
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Getting the waterways in place. Just laid a sheet of basswood on the deck and scribed the curve with a pencil. I cut on the curve, sanded and then set my compass the width that I wanted 3/8", and scribed the inside curve. Cut out the pieces and glued them in place. Next I will add the bulwarks but not the stanchions. Wait for those until after I fiberglass. (Hate fiberglassing)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Beautiful, what a great looking boat so far...
Working fast !
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Woah, you stop lurking for 20 seconds and someone builds half a boat.

Great pics - although if its not too much hassle, any chance of a few more of intermediate stages with descriptions?
audigex is offline Find More Posts by audigex
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
TOO fast !
Is that deck a sheet, or did you lay 1000 planks overnight ??