HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Help!
Frequency selection help please, 5.8 or 900mhz. Need to decide which one to get

Hello,

I'm just looking for some assistance and get some assistance. I purchased a 200mw 5.8 system but it didn't work out.
The company in China I ordered it from was very helpful and sent another one with still poor results. below is a few videos showing the range only to be 10 feet or so.
The really horrible videos are from when the cable was plugged unto the inside of the dual AV output port on the RX (obviously a problem) and the other 2 videos are from when plugged into the outside port. Great video but from only a few feet away.

I ask which frequency because I'm going to order today and I have a Range Video 900mhz receiver from a few years ago but lost the TX when my plane crashed.

Just looking for some assistance on choosing weather to buy a TX/RX 5.8 combo again for $80 or just a 900mhz TX from Range video for $65.

I do not need long range since it's not going into an airplane, but in my hexacopter. But I would like to do some FPV a little ways away and not lose signal. I live in Tucson in a semi rural area and not downtown with buildings all around. I don't want to go cruise through the neighborhoods but just want to cruise around the river wash and the desert.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
If I remember correctly, I bought the Range Video 500mw 900mhz system a several years ago and I was only able to go a few hundred feet away with my Easystar before the signal started to break up.

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/y...%20video%20TX/
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
You really want CP (circularly polarized) antennas on 5.8Ghz, I'm no expert but it seems like multipathing is at least part of the problem.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
I was getting IbCrazy's CL antennas but couldn't get the system to work well anyways without the antennas. If I order another 5.8 system, I plan on ordering the CL antennas.

Just looking to see if in my situation will 900mhz 800mw TX be fine since I already have the RX
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
NKK for short...
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
I don't know much beyond the fact that 900mhz at 200mw should already give you quite a bit more range than 5.8Ghz at 200mw - so 800mw seems like it might be a little overkill and you could probably save yourself some money, weight and power consumption by getting a less powerful 900Mhz TX.

I really can't comment on whether 900Mhz is a good idea on a multirotor in general, I have no experience with it.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
ok, thank you very much.
800mw is the only thing I see on 900mhz from Range Video where I got the receiver from .

I've been having issues with 2 different 5.8 systems for 3 weeks and I'd like to order something from the US and be FPV flying in a few days instead of another week or 2 getting something from overseas.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Watch This!
United States, LA, Washington
Joined Feb 2007
122 Posts
I have been flying with 5.8Ghz with the 200mw TX from Range using the 305 receiver and pretty happy with the setup. I am using IBCrazy's CL antenna on the RX and Crazy's SPW on the receiver that I made. With that combo I'm easily getting 500yds in all directions with perfect video. For further than that, I am using a home made IBCrazy 6 turn helical on my receiver and I did my first 3/4 mile excursion with perfect video the whole time... 5.8 at 200mw works if you have the correct antennas, also the receiver (305) has 90db gain which is very good.. I'm just a newbie in FPV, but there are guys out there getting some serious range with 5.8.. So make sure your using the correct antennas and polarizations for the antennas. Its all in the antennas!
Corocrumpler is offline Find More Posts by Corocrumpler
Last edited by Corocrumpler; Mar 15, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,135 Posts
The short range symptom while using the popular 5.8GHz/200mW systems is usually caused by incorrect DIP switch settings. Post clear close-up photos that show the DIP switches on the TX and RX so we can check where you have set them.

BTW, be aware that testing around your home will be full of multi-pathing interference. All those hard surfaces will bounce the RF around and make a mess of things. So eventually you will need to get out in an open field to perform the range tests.

- Thomas
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:02 PM
NKK for short...
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Good call on the dip switches.

It's worth noting that on the RC305 RX and the TX that comes with it the the channel selection combinations for the dip switches for the channels doesn't match.
If I remember correctly the same combination on both meant mismatched channels, it's been a while since I set mine up.

Works great now
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
I messed with the dip switches for a week following the directions then used almost every combination and still never got a straight answer why the switches don't match the directions.
The second one they sent me he said that it was already tested and to leave the dip switches in the up position on both the TX and RX I did.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RC-CAM View Post
The short range symptom while using the popular 5.8GHz/200mW systems is usually caused by incorrect DIP switch settings. Post clear close-up photos that show the DIP switches on the TX and RX so we can check where you have set them.

BTW, be aware that testing around your home will be full of multi-pathing interference. All those hard surfaces will bounce the RF around and make a mess of things. So eventually you will need to get out in an open field to perform the range tests.

- Thomas
But even inside, shouldn't I get more than 5 feet. and I also tested it outside at work next to a wall but there's no electronics or anything on the other side of the wall. Then I only get about 10 feet or so.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,135 Posts
Quote:
The second one they sent me he said that it was already tested and to leave the dip switches in the up position on both the TX and RX I did.
On the 5.8GHz / 200mW systems I have seen that DIP switch combination is wrong. Some clear close up photos would be grand so we can see the exact A/V system you have and confirm the DIP switches are correct.

- Thomas
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
It's pretty much already boxed back up and ready to send back to China.
When the second one arrived and tested by them, both TX and RX dip switches were all in the up position. They said to leave them there and that is the correct settings.

Anyways, in the meantime I ordered this 900MHz 800mw TX since I already have the RX that I bought from Range Video years ago.
I hope this combination will get me a few hundred yards of clear video.
Here is the TX
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=228

And here is the RX
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/cctv-900r...anual-4ch.html

When I bought the system long ago I also used this antenna but it didn't seem to do any better than the whip antenna.
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...products_id=17

I've been waiting for over 3 weeks to do some FPV flying, I hope this system comes in the mail soon and works great. I have so many cool places in the desert that I'd like to check out in FPV.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
It's pretty much already boxed back up and ready to send back to China.
When the second one arrived and tested by them, both TX and RX dip switches were all in the up position. They said to leave them there and that is the correct settings.
OK, you should realize that NOT ALL freqs on a given vTx are legal to use in the US and Canada. I found that only a couple of the higher freqs are legal to use, so I moved all my 5.8 equipment to 5885 MHz. Some of the channels rerquire DFS, which we do not have with any of our video link systems. But I understand the Rangevideo uses a different set of freqs, suitable for use in the USA.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker