HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:22 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
572 Posts
Maidened mine yesterday

Flew in lift that normally I'd only fly my Alula in. Very nice. Crisp, responsive, thermal turns with ease, awesome energy retention, very well rounded bird. Look forward to my next chance to fly, and hopefully in a bit sportier conditions.
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,872 Posts
Go to Green's Peak for photo's of GlasairIII's Prodij-HM.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Playing about with editing some footage I had of my ProdiJ the other day.
The footage was taken by standing my camera on my transmitter box, then all the follow shots and changes of view etc were done in edit by pan/zoom. Some were at 400% zoom so quality does suffer too much. so best watch in full fat HD.
Its not a great flying vid but was a fun exercise in learning about vid editing.

ProdiJHM (4 min 0 sec)
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
ProdiJ HM is a fantastic little model, I fully endorse this model - do not hesitate to buy one if you are looking for an extremely versatile 60" with a stunning flight envelope.

Mike
I did not expect to like a 60" mouldie quite as much as this.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
I understand that a nice new shiny yellow one will soon be winging its way around a Warwickshire hill side.

Congrats Tom you won't regret it..
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:05 PM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
686 Posts
Does anyone flying the new version have experience with the gen 1? I'm curious about impressions of the differences. The gen 1 is one of my favorite 60s.
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
Yes, I have had 3 gen 1 Prodij's and they are one of my favorites. The new HM's are a lot more effiecient, and mine seems to be pretty tough for a molded ship. They both turn very well, but the new HM will out turn the old one by a margin, and accelerate more quickly because it can fly faster at a lighter AUW. Where I used to ballast up my Gen 1, I haven't needed to do this as much with the newer version. The newer HM will fly in even lighter lift than the old Prodij...that really is amazing!

Ballast bars are somewhat finicky to load or change on the slope on the new version, The older tube worked nicely, but the tradeoff is the thinner fuselage that you get with the new version. The build on the newer version is quicker because of the premade tail surfaces. I like the central flap and crow function for landings on the new version. It is easier to spot land, although I didn't have much problem with Spoilerons on the old. Build quality is slightly better, but still very "Aero-mod" overall, so don't expect some Jaro Mueller beauty.
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:21 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Mine has a split wing which made building trickier - but ballast is in the wing and an easy change. Although like Andy says it flies great empty in pretty much any wind. Adding half wing ballast seems to be a sweet spot for most conditions.

I did note earlier that the servo retaining plate in the fuz can be reduced down to almost nothing and still do its job. Thinning it down frees up some fuselage space if you need it for improved ballast access.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
I did note earlier that the servo retaining plate in the fuz can be reduced down to almost nothing and still do its job. Thinning it down frees up some fuselage space if you need it for improved ballast access.
Good call on this! I imagine a flat plate of composite laminate with some threaded inserts for the attachment screws to hold on to would be the way to go to get max clearance. I will use that method if I have to do a full change out of the palet in the future. I agree with your ballast comment. I mostly fly with the "half bar" set up. The full load seems to bog it down somehow, even in higher winds.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:49 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,542 Posts
new prodij hm. Rustic version with wing ballast.

Don't know how long it will take to get from the spare bed to the air though....
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Nice!

I'm pencilling in summer 2014 for the maiden....
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Nice!

I'm pencilling in summer 2014 for the maiden....
Alright don't pressure me!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Lol.

At least you won't have to guess where the wing joiners and similar stuff go (like a Voltij etc.)...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,542 Posts
it has aeromod features. The centre flap appear to hinge in a really bad place to get a decent position for a horn for the flap.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
it has aeromod features. The centre flap appear to hinge in a really bad place to get a decent position for a horn for the flap.
You'll really enjoy that part of the build!!

Droydx
RCG Plus Member