HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
That is some serious crash testing there Mike. Great endorsement.

(So, is pink / red the new yellow?)
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:54 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Do you mean MKS 6100 Mike? I think I may choose something else for my MV if they are that power hungry.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:20 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
I've got six of the MKS 6100's in my Dorado and never had a battery consumption problem.
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_editor View Post
Do you mean MKS 6100 Mike? I think I may choose something else for my MV if they are that power hungry.
Yes 6100's but don't make any decisions yet John. As I said it's one of a few possibilities.

When I unearthed the model on both occasions the battery was completely drained. But the wing has sheared its nylon bolts and the wiring in the process, possible short after the crash - but there was no sign of any smouldering damage which I would expect at the least if this had been the case.

The wing wiring was also difficult to position within the fuselage to ensure that it didn't become damaged by the flap servo, which together with the shape of the 6100 servo could potentially shear the wiring against the servo casing - but again no signs of a short.

So that leaves the battery - now changed as the first one wasn't new but did still charge up to the correct level.Possibly out of balance and failing sooner than expected.

Lastly (of course) is operator error, maybe I just should have charged the model up more.

This is backed up by Saturdays usage - but wait until I have done a few more runs before making any decisions.

The servos are small and very fast and powerful with a very nice action to them for a small servo all pretty impressive. Usage is livable with if you know and use suitable batteries etc.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Last edited by isoaritfirst; Jul 02, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:10 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3X View Post
He-he same Aeromod toughness!!

Nice set of toys you have there!

Beautiful slope as well!
Cheers Tom,

The grass is especially green over here at the moment.

After the wettest June on record.

Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:35 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
569 Posts
Could you post a pic of your wing connector, and do you put the entire connector inside the wing? I'm setting mine up now. And the flap linkage is causing me some grief.

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
Yes 6100's but don't make any decisions yet John. As I said it's one of a few possibilities.

When I unearthed the model on both occasions the battery was completely drained. But the wing has sheared its nylon bolts and the wiring in the process, possible short after the crash - but there was no sign of any smouldering damage which I would expect at the least if this had been the case.

The wing wiring was also difficult to position within the fuselage to ensure that it didn't become damaged by the flap servo, which together with the shape of the 6100 servo could potentially shear the wiring against the servo casing - but again no signs of a short.

So that leaves the battery - now changed as the first one wasn't new but did still charge up to the correct level.Possibly out of balance and failing sooner than expected.

Lastly (of course) is operator error, maybe I just should have charged the model up more.

This is backed up by Saturdays usage - but wait until I have done a few more runs before making any decisions.

The servos are small and very fast and powerful with a very nice action to them for a small servo all pretty impressive. Usage is livable with if you know and use suitable batteries etc.
glasairIII is online now Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:05 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,034 Posts
Look at post 28, the entire connector goes into the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasairIII View Post
Could you post a pic of your wing connector, and do you put the entire connector inside the wing? I'm setting mine up now. And the flap linkage is causing me some grief.

Thanks,
Steve
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:57 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post

Sadly suitable batteries aren't always the answer as you can't always fit them in. I'd want at least three hours out of a sporty plane on the hill. My Brio would do 5 hours on a 2000 pack with 6 Futaba 3150 and have loads left in. I'm worried now about my choice. Thank god my next couple of planes could squeeze a car battery in there.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:16 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
The flap linkage was a little tricky due to the rear wing fixing being set too low into the fuselage.

It needed a small bend into the rod to ensure it ran clear. I dont like bending pushrods but also didn't fancy trying to remove and reposition the rear wing fixing.

Following the problems I had with mine it has been rebuilt a couple of times and in the last one I sanded down the fuselage servo plate to its absolute minimum.
I reduced both its thickness and its height, so that it now allows the servos to sit much closer to the fuselage sides.
This has made the whole installation a lot better, and improved the flap rod's run and angles.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:22 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Very nice electrics install Mike. Not that I expected anything less.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:54 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
569 Posts
Thanks for the help. I've finally sorted out my flap linkage. Although I did burn out an MKS servo in the process Had to stick a servo I found in my parts bin for a temp replacement. For whatever reason my flap servo is in front of the v tail servos. And the plates for the wing hold down we're rubbing on the flap pushrod. Some creative bends in the pushrod has solved my issue for now. Hope to maiden thIs weekend. Off to Greens Peak AZ!
glasairIII is online now Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:02 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,541 Posts
Intellect 1600s are more like 1400s for a start. All that stuff about the formation charge makes no difference, the capacity is not 1600.
Something to bear in mind.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:19 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Yep I have had the odd pack that runs up to 1500, 1600 is just about achievable if you trickle charge for a day or two.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_editor View Post
Very nice electrics install Mike. Not that I expected anything less.
Cheers John, its all a little messy in the finishing dept - due to being designed on the hoof, but all works well.

Aeromod stuff is more about function than fashion