HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 12:31 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Now for the fun part. Mounting the servos to the plate is really critical with a small model like this. You don't have much room up or down, or even sideways to be off. Follow the dimensions given on the instruction sheet...but I think the picture that is in there is backwards or something. Anyway take your time here, or you will have to do it twice or thrice over.
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Place your servo mounting plate on your bench and carefully lay out your radio gear. Make some alignment reference marks on the plate. The wooden mounting blocks are in the kit. Take care to watch the grain is running correctly. Note the "stepped" ruddervator servos, and the highth of the flap servo. you only have a mm to spare or so, so plan ahead. Some of the mounting blocks will go directly over the blind nut locations if you follow the dimensions in the assembly manual. You will also have to cut down the nylon wing mount screws to about 16 mm long, or else they will interfere with the mounting of the pallet. Make up the servo pushrods from 3-4 mm carbon tubing This didn't come in my kit package, so I had to order up a couple sticks to make pushrods about 63.5 cm and 61 cm for the tail surfaces. I finished out the push rods with 2/56 all thread and used Rocket city ball links for the tail.

Trial fit your servo tray and check closely for interfence from any side.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 01:30 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
The flap servo is really close to the aft of the pedestal. I tried to use a carbon plate servo horn set up like my wing drives but it didn't work out, so I went with a stock ball link set up.. The position of the ball link is critical to full operation/travel of the flap, so take a lot of time to get the right higth. I had to carefully smooth over the top wing mounting plate inside the fuselage, and then clearence the metal quick link on the servo, the plastic ball link body and slightly open up the pass through to make it all fit and work right. It took a lot of time to get right, but it works and gives both up and down travel of the center flap panel

The drive link is a simple short piece of all thread with a ball link and a clevis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Time to power it all up and center the servos before final installation. Make sure that your transmitter switches are where they should be, or you will be fudged, and have to do things over again (another thing I have done many times).

Clean builds happen when you can get it right the first time.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Put it all together. You will probably need to push the servo plate in place from the top access hole with a little screw driver when you are attaching it to the fuselage side. Be sure to grab the flap servo drive and guide it through the hole. When it is correct it doesn't extend very far outside the hole, but you can still attach it to the wing ball, as you are mounting the wing.

I put a 4.8 volt pack of 2/3 aa 1500 mah Elite cells in a III- configuration. Of course, I found out that I had a bad cell on initial charge, and had to redo it.

The ship balanced out with only about 1.5 oz. additional weight. After playing around with an end pin receiver, I settled on an old Electron 6 as it fit better. Plan so you can swing it out of the way to install the ballast bars as needed.
My auw was 26 oz, or around 740 g which is under the 750 g quoted in the manual...cool. CG is on the ballast bar spot, starting at 68 mm back from the LE

I have a lot of throw set up on the ailerons, and mix of about 7mm both ways, so I will see how it flies and adjust. Hoping to catch some air with it today!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 03:45 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx View Post
Now, shut up and fly.
SIR YES SIR!!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
Wollongong, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
Great job mate! I received my pinkie HM about a weeks ago. A little problem with the servos not in the shipment, everything else is great. I'll start the built when the servos will be here. I can't wait to start
moatdib is offline Find More Posts by moatdib
Old May 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
First flights went well, thermal conditions and light lift. It picked up lift like a champ, and really climbed out well with a little down camber. It was slightly nose heavy, so I took out about .5 oz and it was flying better..probably could pull out another .5 oz. It felt a lot like my old Banana...maybe a little grippier in turns. .Acceleration was nice too off turns. I had to leave just as it was picking up so next time I hope to get some ballast in it. Yipee!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 02:34 AM
France, Midi-Pyrnes, Toulouse
Joined Sep 2005
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx View Post
The wings are super thin, only 10mm to the outside skin, so Aeromod put some "speed humps" in the area around the wing servos. It looks a little wierd, but that's why I like it!!
It's not just "speed humps", it's a different thicker section to have enough thickness to place a good servo: aerodynamically it's far better than a bump with a servo cover wich destroy completly the section or a servo without enough torque or precision !!!
You have the same at root wing for the joiner for 2 piece wing and if you look carefully it's the same on the first 2 inch on the tail for joiner.
Of course much more work for CAD designer and looks different but it's the best solution for performance.
Regards
Loc
Blanco Loc is offline Find More Posts by Blanco Loc
Old May 05, 2012, 02:43 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,983 Posts
Very nice build Andy The color scheme looks so cool.

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old May 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Hello Kai! You are responsible for my Prodij fetish!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 10:40 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this one fly, Andy. Looks the business, as they say!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Loc View Post
It's not just "speed humps", it's a different thicker section to have enough thickness to place a good servo: aerodynamically it's far better than a bump with a servo cover wich destroy completly the section or a servo without enough torque or precision !!!
You have the same at root wing for the joiner for 2 piece wing and if you look carefully it's the same on the first 2 inch on the tail for joiner.
Of course much more work for CAD designer and looks different but it's the best solution for performance.
Regards
Loc
Yes, it certainly seems to work well, as this is a great flying model! It is a different approach and takes some getting used to, in terms of conforming aesthetics. Combining the different airfoils is a unique way to deal with the problem of very thin sections and wing mounted servos. I am really impressed at how well this ship turns. With active camber (or 4 axis) on the wing surfaces, it bangs out turns much better than the Bird that I have been flying. Good job to you and your team Loic!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 01:06 AM
Always looking for lift...
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
379 Posts
Great build report Andy! Thanks for sharing.

Good to read that the Prodij fly well for the maiden!

I still work on my Xperience Pro and Organic 2.5 electric to get them in air asap.

When finished them (I need the Organic for a contest next week and the Xperience for a contest end of this month) I hope that the MKS 450 will be available again in Germany (waiting for them since March ) as I decided to replace the "large" 488 BB MG fuse servos .

R, Tom
sky_surfer_fra is offline Find More Posts by sky_surfer_fra