HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Interesting... Would there be more useful room in the fuse for ballast if you ditched the flap servo and went for a 4 servo wing?? Is the Prodij available in a version like that?
It would be easy enough to make as a four servo wing, just cut out the servo hole and slice the flap in half.

I watched Alexis flying his a few weeks ago - very impressive little model.

I am considering one with a two piece wing - as a holiday / suitcase model.

Mike
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
I'm really impressed with just how small this ship is, even for a 60" model. When you put it up against a Bird or Nemisis for instance, you can really see how petit the thing is. I think that it will also build out very light, but with the wing so darn thin that it should be very quick for as light as it will be. the wing is so thin that it needed "speed humps" in the wing skin to hold a thin 10mm servo. Can't wait to hear your flight reports, I will be starting my build on Friday.
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:51 AM
Always looking for lift...
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
376 Posts
flap linkage

When testing the servo tray position I saw that the flap linkage hits the fuse before the limit position of the flap.
Only possibility was to move the linkage more backwards.
So last night I did this adjustment
Additionally linkage has a 10 angle backwards.
A first test looks good, but have to wait that resin curse completely.
sky_surfer_fra is offline Find More Posts by sky_surfer_fra
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:53 AM
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Interesting... Would there be more useful room in the fuse for ballast if you ditched the flap servo and went for a 4 servo wing?? Is the Prodij available in a version like that?
No MattyB, would not help to get more room for the ballast as the challange is the width of the fuse.

R, Tom
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:56 AM
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
376 Posts
four servo wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
It would be easy enough to make as a four servo wing, just cut out the servo hole and slice the flap in half.
Hi Mike,

This is a good idea. But I would have no idea how to build a linkage without any additional air drag in this super thin wing ...

R, Tom
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:01 AM
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx View Post
... I will be starting my build on Friday.
Andy
Hi Andy,

would be great if you could share your build (and later on flight) impressions (with some photos) as well .

Guess you will finish the build before me, as my time is very limited (3 other glider projects in parallel, family and business related commitments and flying if weather and free time permits).

R, Tom
Last edited by sky_surfer_fra; Apr 22, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
Germany, HE, Offenbach
Joined Oct 2003
376 Posts
running out of time...

Time flys (too fast).
As I will not finish the Prodij build the next few days I cannot use her for a slope contest next week where she was planned for.

Therefore I have decided to pause the build until I have finished my F3J, TD and electric glider projects.
In the summer half year I mostly fly in the flat lands and so I need to get the thermal ships airborne at the earliest possible date (assuming the weather and thermal conditions becomes better soon).

She is now planned for a North Sea coast vacation later this year and I guess I will revive the build end of May/early June.

Hope to see some Prodij HM build impressions from others meanwhile ,

R, Tom
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,402 Posts
With the flap linkage - just make a L bend in the end of the push rod, and a simple rod end for the eyelet in to the flap.
Install the L bend through the eyelet as the wing as being fastened onto the fus. Once the wing is in place the rod cannot come out of the eyelet.

Its a lot easier to rig that way than having clevises or ballinks, it is also means that the push rod is just 2mm thick right up to the connection which makes it much easier to pull the flap all the way down without the clevis etc fouling the fus sides.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_surfer_fra View Post
Hi Andy,

would be great if you could share your build (and later on flight) impressions (with some photos) as well .

Guess you will finish the build before me, as my time is very limited (3 other glider projects in parallel, family and business related commitments and flying if weather and free time permits).

R, Tom
Tom,
OK, your build thread has been very helpful for me. I will tag on to what you have and share my experience. I'm just about finished except for the final connection of the flap to servo...I like the idea of a simple "l" bend. It's a tight fit back there!!
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 11:25 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Thread jacking, by permission? I'll try to follow through, using the experience that I got during my build...hope this is useful and not just a re-hash of what has already been posted. These are interesting are an interesting alternative for the 60" class, the two piece wing looks great for travelers. For those who have built Prodij's in the past, the build is similar,, easier due to the pre cut hinges, etc, but the overall dimensions that you have to work within are smaller, so it is still not a build for a first time molded ship owner, IMHO.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 11:43 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Definitely plan on using the MKS ds450 servos or the 6100s? that are similar in shape size with less deadband. The ship seems to be designed around these units, and the dimensions become really important when you are building the fuselage up. I got mine from our SoaringUSA friends...super fast to ship too!

The wings are super thin, only 10mm to the outside skin, so Aeromod put some "speed humps" in the area around the wing servos. It looks a little wierd, but that's why I like it!! Some other strangeness is that the wings are not live skin hinged. Similar to the 1st v Prodij's they are silicon'd hinged. You may see that in some of the pictures. I do a lot of my homebuilt stuff that way, but it must be a lot of work for the manufacturers, but hey it works!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
I decided to not use the ball links on the ailerons, and made up my own linkages, using some carbon platefor control horns that I had on hand and good old dubro metal quick links. I did this because the ailerons are so thin (3/32") that I didn't see the metal ball rod having a lot of purchase area, which I could get with a flat plate and better distribute the load...it was easier to match the heights of the linkage too.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
The wing servo harness connector and two leads are provided with the kit. Take your time and label everything. I used common positive and negative leads for both servos, and the signal wires went in the middle of the connector block. Keep the servo leads as short as possible because excess wire will get in the way when you go to mount the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 12:12 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
at this point, I simply taped the servos in place for the time being, and made up the linkage using a piece of 2/56 threaded rod and two quicklinks.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 12:21 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
I began the fuselage by working on the V tail...this is so much nicer that Prodij 1! I installed aluminum tubing to hold the carbon rods, I use CA to spot them in place, check the fit and then when happy, slow epoxy and thickener to finish it up. The holes go through the fuselage on the lower side to keep things aligned. I simply put a small detent in the aluminum tube so the carbon rod didn't slip out the bottom. Remember to leave room at the bottom interior of the tailboom for your pushrods to exit out!
RCG Plus Member