10 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King FPV/UAV V2 or EPP FPV?

Hey guys,

I am debating between:

Hobby King FPV/UAV

or

EPP FPV

I want to know what people think about these two planes and what I should go with. I am fairly new to the FPV world but have been flying for a few years now.

Just wondering what you guys think!
onboardtherc is offline Find More Posts by onboardtherc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,768 Posts
the fiberglass one is fast, has a higher stall speed, and needs a clean smooth runway to operate off of. Not forgiving for landing unless you did some serious modifications making it possible to belly land. Also a lot more prone to damage in a crash.

The EPP FPV is slow, sluggish and handles a bit odd. Can haul a lot of equipment and is a great platform for certain uses. Can find some good mods to improve it in the big thread on here. I have one and I am mothballing it in favour of a flying wing for the wider flying envelope - not different enough from my Easystar to keep it around.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 15, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
528 Posts
i got the epp fpv because its epp foam which can bend to crazy angles and you can just glue and tape it back together if you crash.

there are mods you can do to improve flight charicteristics. you can search the epp fpv thread for more info.
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
I love EPP it is great for field repairs hot glue tape never have to go home. The EPP FPV is different some guys don't like but if you add stability to it or do some mods like dyheadral she can be a very nice plane. I chose to go with electronic stab on mine. For AP/AV I like the point that she is neutral sable because the electronic then do not have to over come aerodynamic stability.

HK EPP FPV KK OpenAero Test Flight.mov (8 min 25 sec)

Winter Fun.mov (11 min 23 sec)

Here's my tread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393228
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hunter H.
United States, CA, Bonsall
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
Okay thanks. I am also thinking about the ritewing zephyr. I love the way the wings handle. Only thing holding me back is the price.
onboardtherc is offline Find More Posts by onboardtherc
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboardtherc View Post
Okay thanks. I am also thinking about the ritewing zephyr. I love the way the wings handle. Only thing holding me back is the price.

Chirs makes a great product and it is worth the money. The wing is nice because it flys like it is on rails. Just not the easiest to slow down but I'm just about ready to drop the hammer on one of those bad boy my self.

Cheers Jerry
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
I say EPP FPV, (instead of fiber glass). It flies very smooth when trimmed out, but the COG is very rearward when empty so you would need a very big (say 5000mah) battery to balance it out. I actually shortened the carbon talboom a few inches, but it was still tailheavy. After putting in the two batteries (a 4000 3 cell and a 600 3cell for video) we needed to put in a steel battering ram in the nose to balance it.

It does fly very nice now, but it slips alot in the turns so you would need to either coordinate the turn with the rudder manually or mix in some rudder on your tx.

I crashed it several times, but the EPP fixes very nice with some wood glue.
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:19 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
You could also go with this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1615487

Set up ARF with FPV gear installed. Drop in your RX and hook up your viewing screen (or goggles) and you're ready to fly.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy