HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
202 Posts
Discussion
F-16 foamie glider

Hello out there from RCbobcat55@yahoo Has anyone other than me looked at the Estes F-16 toy foam glider? I picked one up over the weekend at a local Cracker Barrel Restaurant and intend to convert it to a micro pusher jet. It has all the right moments and if you were to use tailerons you could remove the wings for transportation or shipping. I have ordered a small outrunner from HobbyKing and a 6 amp esc and will be converting it to RC. It spans about 21" and the wings are stretched a bit from the scale outlines but it looks really cool. It looks like it is made from the same grey foam that multiplex uses on some of its arf jets and pusher models. I am even thinking of building one as a micro slope jet. Maybe I can inspire others to try it out too. I am looking into buying a case of them to resell to others who cannot locate them locally. They sell for $15.00 a cheap pusher jet indeed. Anyone else interested in trying this I will take some photos of the build as I go along. How about someone coming up with an unusual semi scale color scheme? I saw some wild ones out at Luke AFB about a year ago when I was out there. Ok enough of this babbling. Thanks for listening Bob M.
rcbobcat55 is online now Find More Posts by rcbobcat55
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
40 Posts
I just picked one up at Cracker Barrel. Looks like it has possibilities. My thoughts are to cut out the cockpit area for all the radio equipment but I'm not sure what that would do to it structurally.
It has the perfect spot for micro servos between the wings and the elevator.
jhmagill is offline Find More Posts by jhmagill
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
Racing Enthusiast AMA 3557
United States, MO, Sedalia
Joined Sep 2011
675 Posts
Got a couple today with Crashawk to convert to pusher config. Thanks for the heads up. Apparently Cracker Barrel is the exclusive distributor on these. Going to use a Turnigy 1818-3500kv motor, 2s Rhino 370 pack and a 10a esc. Elevator, aileron, throttle. Taking the dihedral out on the first try. Will try to post pics along the way.
JetMech2002 is offline Find More Posts by JetMech2002
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JetMech2002; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
40 Posts
Pictures would be great JetMech2002. What are your thoughts on the tailerons? I've never done a model with tailerons.
jhmagill is offline Find More Posts by jhmagill
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Racing Enthusiast AMA 3557
United States, MO, Sedalia
Joined Sep 2011
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmagill View Post
Pictures would be great JetMech2002. What are your thoughts on the tailerons? I've never done a model with tailerons.
I think the tailerons would work fine if you got enough support, but that support comes with added weight in the back, which may create issues.
JetMech2002 is offline Find More Posts by JetMech2002
RCG Plus Member