HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Question
Flybar adjustment

I have a coaxial Helimax copter and I don't know how to adjust the flybar balance. The flybar has individually adjustable weights on each end and I would like to know if I should adjust the flybar balance with the link attached to the top rotor or detached from the rotor. Also could someone tell me what the adjustment in the top link is for and/or how to adjust that.
Angelwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Angelwyngs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:10 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
Unhook link to balance flybar. Blade position will affect apparent balance with the link on. If like some, the link remains on the flybar though disconnected from mainrotor, the weight of the link will also affect apparent balance.

On the only coax I had with adjustable link I turned it several turns from center and couldn't see a difference so I left it in the center. Wouldn't hurt to experiment, as my model was not identical to yours.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
You don't need to literally balance the flybar. Just set the weights the same distance from the center of the main shaft and your flybar will be balanced. No need to detach the link or remove the flybar to do this.

The link is used to adjust the flybar position so that it's parallel with the top set of blades. Adjust the link while closely watching the distance between the blades and the flybar, and just keep adjusting until they're parallel. Eyeballing it is close enough.

On the flybar weights, I use a dial caliper and set the weights position within .02" of each other. Probably more accurate than necessary, but not hard to accomplish.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwyngs View Post
I have a coaxial Helimax copter and I don't know how to adjust the flybar balance. The flybar has individually adjustable weights on each end and I would like to know if I should adjust the flybar balance with the link attached to the top rotor or detached from the rotor. Also could someone tell me what the adjustment in the top link is for and/or how to adjust that.
Thee most important item making a coax fly correctly (disregarding bent shafts or gears missing teeth) is the fly bar. Simply, you should be able to flick the fly bar with your pinky and it will bounce up and down freely. No binding, no goes to half way to one side more than the other. The fly bar link can be made shorter or longer. Experiment until you can flick it and it bounces to both sides equally. No binding! A hot knife through butter. Remember there is a peg in the middle that should be showing through the hole in the heads side. That round peg can not be facing up and down.

Leave the weights alone they should be on the end. When your good experiment weights inside/half way and it's less stable and faster/more responsive.

Good luck.....free floating fly bar!!!

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers.The advice is very helpful. Much appreciated.
Angelwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Angelwyngs