Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Discussion
PA Addiction, Addiction X, or ???

Hi RCG 3D gurus :-)

I'm looking for a 3D trainer type model. I've flown quite a bit with sport aircraft, and also with a 3D flat foamie. Looking for a aircraft that can help me learn 3D flying, and also be used for general sport flying on low rates.

Leaning toward an Addiction or Addiction X but open to other suggestions.

Would like to be in the 40-50 inch range, and using my existing stock of 3s 2200 batteries would be a big plus.

Your thoughts, gurus of 3D?
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
For learning 3D, you can't beat an EPP foam plane. The good ones fly very well and can take a lot of punishment. I would start with a 32" plane from Twisted Hobbys, like the Edge or Extra Slick. They are almost unbreakable and really inexpensive to get in the air. You can fly 3D low and practice with them without worrying about breaking anything in a crash.

I know it's not what you asked for but they're great airplanes. If you want to use your 3S 2200's, the Telink airplanes like the 44" Extra Slick or 43" Yak 55 (also available from Twisted) are also very durable but fly more like a balsa plane, and do better in the wind.

After that, if you want to progress to wood planes and you like the Addiction, I would skip the regular Addiction and go straight to the Addiction X, I find that it's a huge improvement.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:58 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,446 Posts
Addiction X hands down will have you flying 3d before anything else! And all on your 3s 2200mah batts.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
If it is a balsa 3d trainer you are looking for I would have to say the 3Dhobbyshop 48'' edge, or 47'' Extra SHP. both take 3-cell 2200 mah batteries and fly great.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:28 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
If it is a balsa 3d trainer you are looking for I would have to say the 3Dhobbyshop 48'' edge, or 47'' Extra SHP. both take 3-cell 2200 mah batteries and fly great.
I agree with this COMPLETELY.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
For learning 3D, you can't beat an EPP foam plane. The good ones fly very well and can take a lot of punishment. I would start with a 32" plane from Twisted Hobbys, like the Edge or Extra Slick. They are almost unbreakable and really inexpensive to get in the air. You can fly 3D low and practice with them without worrying about breaking anything in a crash.

I know it's not what you asked for but they're great airplanes. If you want to use your 3S 2200's, the Telink airplanes like the 44" Extra Slick or 43" Yak 55 (also available from Twisted) are also very durable but fly more like a balsa plane, and do better in the wind.

After that, if you want to progress to wood planes and you like the Addiction, I would skip the regular Addiction and go straight to the Addiction X, I find that it's a huge improvement.
Thanks for the input. I think there is a lot of merit to this approach.

I ordered a 32" Extra Slick this morning. Looks like a good way to learn the 3D basics. I'll put the rest of the funds aside for a bit and plot my next move after flying / bouncing / learning on the Slick for a while.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
Good choice, you'll have a blast with it. Having flown all the Twisted 32" EPP foamies, the ES is the closest to a wood airplane.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik