HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2012
453 Posts
Discussion
A "no landing gear needed" recommendadtion, good for grass landing plane.

I wanted to know what a good plane for landing in a grass field would be. Its not the smoothest field either, kinda chunky w 5-6" grass. I was thinking of a pby catalina 55" wingspand???
Dr.JJ is offline Find More Posts by Dr.JJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
A Multiplex Twinstar with a 250W - 300W brushless conversion and 7" X 4" props is fun off grass. Landing would be no problem but it might do a bit of mowing on take off. Apply some clear packing tape to the bottom of the fuz for protection.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:08 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,803 Posts
Iv noticed that any pusher style does good with rough surface landings. My flying wing and FPV Drones are stable enough to bring it to around 5mph before touchdown so very little space is needed. My aircraft range from 30" to 60" wingspan now.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:10 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC(UK) View Post
might do a bit of mowing on take off.
I had the wing come off my dual prop cargo and fly down my yard cutting two 9" wide paths through the grass... lost two good props that day, but gained a nice straight landing guide.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC(UK) View Post
A Multiplex Twinstar with a 250W - 300W brushless conversion and 7" X 4" props is fun off grass. Landing would be no problem but it might do a bit of mowing on take off. Apply some clear packing tape to the bottom of the fuz for protection.
Is there any way to connect 2 motors to one esc and battery?
Dr.JJ is offline Find More Posts by Dr.JJ
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.JJ View Post
Is there any way to connect 2 motors to one esc and battery?
To one ESC? Its been done, but the conventional wisdom says no. One battery? No problem.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
411 Posts
Hyperion sniper/Hacker super zoom.

3D performance with EPP durability. Belly lands easily without the landing gear.
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,646 Posts
I'd recomend what 732002 says. These planes can be hovered in and dropped straight down. Would fly equally well with or without the landing gear, as long as you keep the CG in the right place of course. These are tough birds and any damage can be fixed with a little hot glue.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:17 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,996 Posts
You didn't say whether is had to be an ARF, or whether you were willing to build.

If build, and it is quite a simple build, I would recommend the Polaris, -

Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer thread

It will fly slow or fast, take-off from grass, even from water if you have any locally.

The pictures are of mine -
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Whatever you pick, be sure to move the aileron controls to the top of the wing if it has a low wing.
Desert Rider is offline Find More Posts by Desert Rider
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Any foam model with a high mounted pusher motor is ideal for belly landing, no chance to break props on landing, check what is available here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454577
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Multiplex EasyStar is a perennial favorite for this purpose (belly landings on any kind of surface.) Put some packing tape on the bottom of the fuselage.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,359 Posts
"Polaris, "

I built one of those years and years ago, but it wasn't called a polaris. I don't remember the name it had then.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
338 Posts
The Parkzone Corsair (full-size, not micro) does fine on a field like that. I added some wedge-shaped "hats" made from folded aluminum flashing to protect the servo arms, and built it without the LG. Several dozen flights, still in good shape. Also any EPP or EPO flat foam 3D plane. Or a flying wing, as long as the aileron linkages are on top of the wing and not underneath.
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,371 Posts
And if you want something a little more stout then packing tape for protection, check out anti chip tape. It's the stuff auto manufactures use on the rocker panels, door edges, and fenders for paint protection. 3M is a major maker of it, you can get small sections at most auto parts stores. Or if you are silly like me you buy a roll of it.

It's a little thicker then packing tape, but way tougher. I use it on all of my birds for those just in case situations. Like where the gear fails and sliding across a paved run way could tear the bottom off. The tape handles it just fine, and if you tear it up, it's a snap to replace it.

Even on the sponson of my water craft. Slips right over grass and dirt, and even the occasional asphalt and concrete.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...be7PJ6KTK7DLgl
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl