HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cheech658
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub Build

Hi there. I purchased a super cub lp a while back and had a great time with it. I have mastered the plane and am ready to make some modifications! I just finished building my first plane-the slow stick. i am planning on using as many of the slow stick parts as possible. The parts I have now are my spektrum reciever, an eflite 25amp brushless ESC and a customer aluminum motor mount. I plan on buying the eflite 480 motor even though it is a little pricey. The batter that came with my super cub and that was used on my slow stick is a 3s 1300mah 20c battery. How much flight time would I get with this battery? I want to extend my flight time so I was considering a 3s 2200mah 25c lipo. Is the discharge rate too high? Or does it not really matter? I am also planning on painting my plane o.d. green and adding some old air force or air corps stickers. can standard spray paint be used no problem?
Cheech658 is offline Find More Posts by Cheech658
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
107 Posts
Standard spray paint is a 'go'. You should do it up like the old Cessna 180 Army birds.

The 480 is also a 'go' but lookout...the prop will need to be stepped up from the stock 9X6 to a 10X7. Max draw is about 28 amps so only full throttle for short periods (5-10sec). Both batteries will be ok to use as they can handle 26amps and 55 amps. Go for it and put up some pics.

Sources: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1505
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ7380.html
ArmyFlight is offline Find More Posts by ArmyFlight
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,790 Posts
The Eflite 480 will be GREAT on the supercub, as will the ESC. I would go with a larger battery though because a 20C 1300mAh lipo wont give you more than around 5 minutes of flight time. The 2200mAh would give you a good 10-15 minutes depending on how you fly.

Since you have mastered the plane the way it is, I would consider adding ailerons to your supercub. It's a whole new plane once you do that. Much more responsive to stick inputs and more aerobatic.

Another option you can go with, is getting the float set for this plane. If you have a pond or lake in the area, flying and landing off of the water can be serious fun!

As for paint, acrylic paints work fine as does Krylon H2O as well.

If you use the same 9X6 prop, you won't have to worry about cooking your ESC. Just get 2200mAh 35C lipo packs from HobbyKing

I use the same setup on my cub and i'm only drawing about 23A (after burst). It has plenty of power to fly around with authority. But not overpowered. Later you can get a 35 or 40 amp ESC so you can really push your setup and have some serious performance with a larger prop as Army suggested!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hit N Run; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
Cheech658
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Awesome!

Once I get used to the plane being brushless with three channels, I'll add the ailerons. I have considered the floats, too. I actually live on a lake so that would be fantastic. But, i am worried about losing or damaging the plane. What if I crash in the water? Will the electronics fry? Also, what if it gets stuck out in the middle of the lake? How do people get them back out? There is no wading or boats or anything.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech658 View Post
Once I get used to the plane being brushless with three channels, I'll add the ailerons. I have considered the floats, too. I actually live on a lake so that would be fantastic. But, i am worried about losing or damaging the plane. What if I crash in the water? Will the electronics fry? Also, what if it gets stuck out in the middle of the lake? How do people get them back out? There is no wading or boats or anything.
There are a few different techniques people have come up with to retrieve a plane stuck in the middle of the pond/lake.

1) Get an inflatable raft and fetch it
2) Use a fishing pole to "snag it" if it's within reach of a cast
3) Construct a rescue RC airboat to tugboat to tow it in

I've used all three methods
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
Cheech658
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Custom Motor Mount

I just got my aluminum motor mount from customer rc parts on Ebay. It looks like the mount was either machined incorrectly or intentionally machined to to make it so that it mounts a little crroked. When I look at the ebay listing, it mentions something about maintianing thrust angle with the mount. I take it that it's supposed to be that way? Why?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
Cheech658
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
here is the link to the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260965350379...84.m1423.l2649
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
Yes, it's suppose to be that way. Otherwise you'd have a difficult time keeping it in the air.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem