SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Question
Why is thisTop Flite AT-6 kit so valuable on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-FLITE-GO...ht_1340wt_1181

Could someone tell me why this kit has a bid on it for $380? I dont understand why it would be so much. I understand it the kit is not available from Top Flite but that is more than an ARF. I dont see any retracts and it mentions the engine is not included
haines74 is offline Find More Posts by haines74
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
Probably because it's hard to find. Demand + Availability = Market Price

Also, just my opinion, but the cost comparison to an ARF doesn't matter. People that want to buy that more than likely don't want an ARF...They are building it because the enjoy kit building. I'm almost done with my first kit, and I'll probably only buy kits from here on out.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,916 Posts
Trader Rating: 234
All it takes is two people with enough money and the "gottahaveits" to start their own bidding war.

Guys buying kits aren't going to be doing a value comparison between a kit and an ARF.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Sep 2009
229 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Plus some folks collect old discontinued kts they are collectable items much like gi JOes to some folks, and they might not even get built.
If you read some of the ads they mention the conditiion of the box also. The more prestine condition the higher the price. There is a web site you can go to and it gives pricing for old kits and what the price range is. I have a Dynaflite FunScale Corsair that is ranging from 80.00 to 140.00 dollars at this time I built one and have another that is in great shape might sell it down the road.
jt182 is online now Find More Posts by jt182
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,379 Posts
Trader Rating: 393
Plus, just because an item sells on Ebay for "X" amount, does not mean the seller will get paid.
AKA, way past with the bearded dude selling the wedding dress for 10K.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Plus, just because an item sells on Ebay for "X" amount, does not mean the seller will get paid.
AKA, way past with the bearded dude selling the wedding dress for 10K.
eBay auctions not going through are pretty rare these days. The only instances of this that I've seen lately are the crazy auctions that go into the tens of thousands by fake bidders.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
There must be something special about it. There's a seller here who had a "red box" P-39 up for sale. One of his trade-for items is a Gold edition P-39.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
I just bought a "Hollywood Zero" kit from a fellow RCGroup'er and wanted to use it as my first Top Flite build. I never thought the AT-6 kit was very well loved. It seems like most complain about a CG problem and say there is a reason it was discontinued. When I saw the ebay auction I thought I was missing something. Anyway I still think it will be a fun build and I think the Zero conversion looks pretty cool. I will most likely go electric.
All about supply and demand I guess!! Thanks guys!
haines74 is offline Find More Posts by haines74
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
List too Big for a Bucket!
USA, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jul 2010
428 Posts
Trader Rating: 54
Too Much Money

Haines, you are right on...this kit is way over-priced... considering it doesn't have the zero conversion. But, as others have said, someone must want it badly. I guess the question is... if that person buys it for top dollar, does he build it or put it away to resell later.
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Overpriced would mean that the seller put it for sale at a price that is too high based on current market value. In this case, it isn't overpriced...somebody has offered to pay a higher than normal price for it...probably because they are hard to find. It actually is what helps form future market price.