SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Discussion
Parachute Drops - 'Chutes, Releases, and Rigging

I see there is very little on the forums about dropping cargo of various sorts from RC aircraft. I think it's incredibly fun and brings a new challenge to the sport. I would like to start up a discussion about different ways designers and pilots have been dropping things from their planes, for what varied reasons, and what kinds of successes and failures they have had.

I'll open it up with a few of my own foamie cargo planes and scratchbuilt parachute videos. I personally enjoy going for heavy cargo (up to 1500 grams so far) and accuracy drops, both from altitude and LAPES style.

Please share your ideas and experiences!

Ed
"ExAir"

SKYVAN #2
SKYVAN Cargo Dropper (12 min 23 sec)

RC-69
RC-69 Cargo Dropper - In Action (3 min 49 sec)

SKYVAN #1
RC Short SC.7 Skyvan - cargo drops & crash (2 min 58 sec)

SCRATCHBUILT PARACHUTES
RC PARACHUTE FABRICATION (18 min 8 sec)

DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
RC PARACHUTE DEPLOYMENT RELEASE (16 min 15 sec)

CARGO RIGGING CONSIDERATIONS
RC PARACHUTE RIGGING (14 min 16 sec)
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,609 Posts
your right very little. can you post just some picture. no video where i am sitting today
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
You got me aboard!
tonytiger20 is offline Find More Posts by tonytiger20
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
70 Posts
Wow, nice! I love the drogue parachute along with the main. Did you make your parachutes or bought them from a model rocketry store?
teflyer is offline Find More Posts by teflyer
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflyer View Post
Wow, nice! I love the drogue parachute along with the main. Did you make your parachutes or bought them from a model rocketry store?
Made them - see the fourth video listed.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Cool.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Ive got a number of bombs that in need of a good drop system, so this has my interest.

I remember a few years back some one was making a drum drop system with a ratchet wheel. But I dont think they got very far with it. I dont think it got much farther then the design phase on scetchup.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Nice job.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
Ive got a number of bombs that in need of a good drop system, so this has my interest.

I remember a few years back some one was making a drum drop system with a ratchet wheel. But I dont think they got very far with it. I dont think it got much farther then the design phase on scetchup.
So what does make a good, safe, consistent RC "bomb"? I have thought about rack systems too, but haven't quite figured out what the ordnance should be. What about little Nerf darts? What were you thinking of using?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:27 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
So what does make a good, safe, consistent RC "bomb"? I have thought about rack systems too, but haven't quite figured out what the ordnance should be. What about little Nerf darts? What were you thinking of using?
The bombs I made are simple looking EPS bombs. The nose has some hot glue with a piece of heat shrink to cover up the meeting point of foam and hot glue. The big bombs have automotive silicone for the noses. Though I had an idea of molding the nose around a paint ball that would be held in place by some weak double sided tape.

The small bombs are 3 grams and the big bombs are 5-6 grams. I set the fins up in such a way that it will spin the bomb in air to keep accuracy. All are about 1" diameter. Smallbombs are about 3" long, larger bombs are 5".
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:05 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
The bombs I made are simple looking EPS bombs.
Nice bombs. Now you've got me wanting to make some.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:16 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
just stuck a chunk of foam on a spindle and spun it around my hot wire to make the bodies. Wooden dowel goes down the center to give it something for everything to hold onto. they fly good and strait. Kind of look like bad mitten birdies though
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:36 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
This is a bomb deployment system I've been thinking of building for some time now. You could implement it with a 3 position flap to release the bombs one at a time. On my radio I can program a push button that would retract the servo one position at a time to get the same result.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:43 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
I understand you said the skyvan was 92 oz. What kind of motors are you using to lift that thing off the ground? Also did you design the plans yourself or find them on the net. Nice job
tonytiger20 is offline Find More Posts by tonytiger20
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger20 View Post
I understand you said the skyvan was 92 oz. What kind of motors are you using to lift that thing off the ground? Also did you design the plans yourself or find them on the net. Nice job
On the slightly smaller Skyvan #1 I used 300w 2836 1100kV 70g motors with 10x4.5 props and they did fine. The same setup on the larger Skyvan #2 was good for flight but anemic for cargo so I went to 400w 3536 1000kv 110g motors with 12x6 props, which work better. I designed the Skyvan as I went, from pictures and memory. It's such a box that it's pretty easy to come kind of close to scale. Sorry to confess I build all my planes on the fly without plans. You do any parachute stuff?