SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:40 AM
Chuck1073
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Help!
Blade 120 SR question...from a noob

I'm just getting into single rotor after fooling around with a Blade Scout for a bit.

I've just brought my 120SR home and think there may be something wrong.

Upon spinning it up and attempting to just practice basics like moving the tail back and forth on the ground..no flying yet....the heli pulls so hard to the left that full trim...and even riding the stick hard to the right doesn't control it.

Do I just have lots to learn..or is there an issue with the heli?
chuck1073 is offline Find More Posts by chuck1073
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,463 Posts
I have a 120SR and it will lift off very gently. The 120 is a very stable and easy to fly heli. Something is wrong with your heli or setup. Is yours a RTF or BNF version?
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Chuck1073
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
It's an RTF. I think I'll drive it over to the place of purchase today and see what they say. Had a feeling that this was alot harder to fly than it should be.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
You have a lot to learn. First of all, you need to make sure your swashplate and servo travel are correct on any heli. General, the swashplate should be level, with the battery plugged in and transmitter on. On the 120SR there may be some right bias to the swashplate; I can't recall if Horizon provides a leveling guide for this model. All of your trim settings should be neutral.

Secondly, the heli will not sit close to the ground, unless you are really good. It gets caught in it's own air current, which usually results in strong leftward movement. You need to get it up in the air quickly, to at least 2 feet. This is the same with any heli, except those that have very limited movement authority, like 3 channel coaxes.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Chuck1073
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
That's what the hobby shop just said to me. He said the heli would be "a real handful" until I got it at least a foot off the ground.

You're absolutely right. I have a ton to learn. So glad this resource is here.

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
You might take it to the store anyway. I spun mine up on the kitchen floor just now. It jiggers left a little but about 1/3 R stick stops it. Unless you're spinning it hard enough to produce lift just short of takeoff (don't do that) it shouldn't want to go left as hard as you describe.

BTW mine is in perfect flight trim and generally takes off without tendency to go much of anywhere but up. It came out of the box that way (hats off, Horizon).

Better to have the shop confirm there is nothing wrong with it, than to get it in the air and have it slam into a wall or tree because there WAS something wrong with it. THAT'S what they should have told you on the phone.

If the shop crashes it because it was wonky they will hand you another one. If YOU crash it because it was wonky they can say it was your fault.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Mine drifts hardcore to left when im spooling up and skids are light. I just "pop it" off the ground fast holding right stick right ... Or you can spin it around and around to the left until you take off ... Then ull get no drift. Pop it into the air man ... It flys like a coax and their unbreakable specially from 1ft.

Once u get it off the ground it will be stable as can be!

1. hold right stick to the right to counter it drifting to the left
2. pop it off the ground. Once you get it off the ground ull have complete control.
teamscon is offline Find More Posts by teamscon
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,463 Posts
I went from a coaxial to the 120sr as you did. I didn't find it an easy transition. I crashed over and over breaking many parts. Now I wonder why it was so difficult. You need to find an experienced flier to verify the heli is OK or not. Then practice, practice, practice. That's what I did.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:33 PM
Chuck1073
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
After talking with the hobby shop guy I did take the 120 out into the backyard today. It's whole new ballgame compared to the Scout..of course. I did manage to hover and move around a bit though. I did have to ditch a few times..nothing major. Even managed to put it down softly on the skids a few times.

It's going to take lots of practice but...it was lots of fun.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Here's a pretty useless piece of information for you: the only kind of heli that doesn't act like that (hard left) when close to the floor is a quad. It has no translating tendency.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1073 View Post
After talking with the hobby shop guy I did take the 120 out into the backyard today. It's whole new ballgame compared to the Scout..of course. I did manage to hover and move around a bit though. I did have to ditch a few times..nothing major. Even managed to put it down softly on the skids a few times.

It's going to take lots of practice but...it was lots of fun.
Awesome, im glad to hear your getting there! If you wanna look into spare parts you need ... Order main shafts (they break where the holes are drilled) and tail boom's (you can make your own when they break out of 3mm hollow carbon fiber rod from a lhs or online. You have to solder the wires back on because the plugs wont fit through the boom ... Or they sell the complete boom/wires/tail motor/tail rotor for 15.00 at my lhs which is a great deal. usually boom/wires are 12.00 ... tail motor is 5.00 ... tail rotor is 3.00 so your getting 20.00 of parts for 15.00 buying the whole set together. I also have a broken canopy support. I think you can replace them. If so, I would recommend them also.

Also, you can check into trex 250 landing gear when you break yours. Its coming lol. Heres the link for mod info. Im positive their stronger, and look awesome! I was sold on landing gear upgrades after putting blade 400 gear on my blade SR. Much more tame and steady heli for learning and they look great!

In a week or so you will have to order more batterys because the 1 wont be enough to quinch ur thirst lol. I ordered the 600mah tiger lipos (10 of them for 19.99 off ebay) I cant find any reviews on them, but im gunna test and post results. For now the best lipos are hyperions which everyone is sold out of sept china ebay sellers and who knows if youll ever even get them.

Hope my info helped. Post your progress if you would like to share ill keep up.
teamscon is offline Find More Posts by teamscon
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:17 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
Ahh OK, so it is NOT wonky. Excellent. 120 is a very capable flyer. I've had it out in many conditions and it only broke once. Tailrotor, when I crashed into a Cessna 172. A real one.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,463 Posts
Glad to hear hings are looking up. I used my 120SR to learn the different orientations (tail in, nose in, left side, right side) as it is very stable. Then I bought a mcpx to learn CP flying. That's a whole other story.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1073 View Post
It's an RTF. I think I'll drive it over to the place of purchase today and see what they say. Had a feeling that this was alot harder to fly than it should be.

Thanks!
chuck......
One thing that CAN make flying helis easier.....especially the RTF's.....is to use a more advanced transmitter than the unit that comes with the RTF......A DX6i/DX7/DX8 has programmable functions to better control how the heli flies...
I've seen guys at my local club, who've had lots of problems flying their 120's with the stock tx......but, given the right settings on, say, a DX6i, they get their "bird" under control quite quickly....
OK...understand a tx like the DX6i runs ~$160 new.....and ~$80-$100 used on eBay.....but it really DOES make a difference in how your heli is controlled..Plus you then have a tx that will work with other helis as your fleet grows!!! (Trust me...it WILL!!!)
I'm mighty glad I pulled the trigger and got the 6i when I bought my mCPx....
Together, it's an unbeatable combination (along with LOTS of sim time....!)!
Happy Flying!!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:31 AM
Chuck1073
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Thanks for all of the input guys. @dasblade300x - I'll look into the DX6i. So far I've been able to get the hang of working the sticks to the point of being able to hover at about 4'...slide left and right and even fly back into position in front of me after drifting left a bit. The stock TX does seem quite touchy even in low rate mode. I'd love to be able to have it be a bit more forgiving until I develop more confidence at the controls.

That's one tough little heli! I've put it down a few times harder than I would have liked. The worse that's happened so far was the tail fin popping off.