HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:13 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I'm a big supporter of only changing one thing at a time. If you get a new pinion, new spur and lower voltage battery all at once you have no idea what change did what.

IMO, try it as is with a 2s, and adjust gearing from there if needed.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I broke something...

At first I thought it was the slipper clutch because the tires weren't spinning....but then I opened the suspension box and found out the one of the gears were half stripped, lol...after looking at the parts catalog it turns out its the part number 1996 (idler gear)....there are few types, stock, aluminum, and steel...I ordered both the steel and aluminum...which one should i run if i want to prevent this from happening in future? not just these but also the rest of the parts in gear box....and yea i know the 1996x (aluminum) has to be used with the 3195X top gear....also looking into a steel/aluminum gear box casing or whatever you call it.
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:23 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Steel, while you have it open you might as well put the steel ring diff gear in too. How is your top gear?
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kistner View Post
Steel, while you have it open you might as well put the steel ring diff gear in too. How is your top gear?
Got ya...don't think they sell steel top gear...if you know part number plz post!

edit: 2381X

i got it....I placed an order on that as well....lets hope this stuff arrives in a few days!
Last edited by jsarwar469; Apr 27, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
are there any bushings in there? It has been a while since I had an old rustler transmission apart. if there are, I'd upgrade to bearings - since its open
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
ohhh good call kistner always a good idea to replace the bearings
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
are there any bushings in there? It has been a while since I had an old rustler transmission apart. if there are, I'd upgrade to bearings - since its open
I dont know what those are....i have to google it lol.

EDIT: okay well im sure i saw a few bushings i believe atleast they looked like bushings...I think i'm gonna hold off on that for now...how will this upgrade effect the performance? just smoother operation?
Last edited by jsarwar469; Apr 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
earlier today went close to the levy for a walk with my gf and took the car to play around with....played with it for a while and decided to record a quick video...sorry for the quality its my evo4g...was supposed to be a little longer but then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5ckm7Ze6A

I said rustler in there...WRONG its actually the tpet said that on accident.

BTW this is the Tpet1001 with the traxxas velineon..i was actually going to sell this car on rctech and its still on there but nobody ever msg me about it....it was brand new until today i decided to throw the velineon system on it and try it out see how well it works since my traxxas broke....this here i didnt get to press the throttle all the way its too fast...also its 4x4 with 66 spur i believe (which stripped after i was done with it today, lol) and a 17T pinion.

Last edited by jsarwar469; Apr 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Bearings are like a buck a piece, maybe two bucks at the lhs so its pretty cheap to put a couple in the trans. The rustler transmission will be relatively bullet proof after that and the steel gears you are putting in.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Bearings are like a buck a piece, maybe two bucks at the lhs so its pretty cheap to put a couple in the trans. The rustler transmission will be relatively bullet proof after that and the steel gears you are putting in.
I get that but idk where exactly and how many exactly there are until i take another look at it....might just do that now actually and see where and how many there are.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:26 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Looks like there are six 5x11 bearings, my first concern would be if there were any bushings. Bushings are solid metal. If there are already bearing you should replace them but if you don't at least there are no bushings..

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...n_091210_0.pdf
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Looks like there are six 5x11 bearings, my first concern would be if there were any bushings. Bushings are solid metal. If there are already bearing you should replace them but if you don't at least there are no bushings..

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...n_091210_0.pdf
There are no bushings...i counted 7 if I'm not mistaken...the idle gear has 2 inside of it...i didnt see anything solid metal...the rings in there looks alot more like bearings if I am to compare them to the images on google. they are definitely bearings...do they have a short lifetime? are the new ones going to be better? I think I might just leave them like this for now.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
You are right I count 7 now. However let me finish a few more of my favorite beverage and I might just see a few more.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
You are right I count 7 now. However let me finish a few more of my favorite beverage and I might just see a few more.
lmao....yea according to that parts list there are supposed to be 8...so lets see if you find the last one...as long as dont get hammered to the point where you start seeing doubles we should be fine...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarwar469 View Post
lmao....yea according to that parts list there are supposed to be 8...so lets see if you find the last one...as long as dont get hammered to the point where you start seeing doubles we should be fine...
haha i am very amused by this and thats a decent looking truck and video
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3