HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
You can make a power supply from an old desktop PC power supply. Figure needing at least 25% more wattage out of the PS than you expect to put into the battery for some wiggle room.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:54 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Quote:
But a 3s lipo is less than the 10cell Ni** voltage. running 2s maybe undervolting the motor which will run poorly. Maybe even stress the battery if it's not up to scratch.
'Under volting'? Never heard of this, less volts will be slower, will run cooler, will be easier on the motor, but will not stress the battery nor run poorly.

Congrats on a great purchase, I have one and love it. I run brushless in it, castle Sidewinder with a 3300kv turnigy motor. I keep it geared pretty low, runs well. There are parts here and there, a few other hpi cars have a few interchangeable parts. I picked up some spare arms and belts when I found them, but have not needed them.

The novak smart stop http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html comes in 2s and 3s cuts off just over 3 volts per cell. The alarms are good too and often sold in 2s and 3s varieties as well.

WParsons nails it with the PC power supply suggestion, everyone has an old PC laying around. Do a search on here for that and you should find a few 'how to' posts.
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kistner View Post
'Under volting'? Never heard of this, less volts will be slower, will run cooler, will be easier on the motor, but will not stress the battery nor run poorly.

Congrats on a great purchase, I have one and love it. I run brushless in it, castle Sidewinder with a 3300kv turnigy motor. I keep it geared pretty low, runs well. There are parts here and there, a few other hpi cars have a few interchangeable parts. I picked up some spare arms and belts when I found them, but have not needed them.

The novak smart stop http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html comes in 2s and 3s cuts off just over 3 volts per cell. The alarms are good too and often sold in 2s and 3s varieties as well.

WParsons nails it with the PC power supply suggestion, everyone has an old PC laying around. Do a search on here for that and you should find a few 'how to' posts.
I was told by the seller if i run brusless it might not handle well since its "old design rc". Did some research and found out brushless motors run hot and might just damage the chassis or motor mount/things around the motor and I dont know if thats accurate info. I was also told the stock suspension might not be able to bare a brushless crash. Scary, specially because its discontinued.

For now I'm going to enjoy it with the tiny upgrade of lipo and maybe in the future if i decide to stick to this hobby I'll think about adding brushless.

I have looked into the pc power supply tutorials and they look pretty simple. Unfortunately, I DONT have an extra one laying around but Im sure a friend of mine does, so that works out too!

Thanks for the help!
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
One thing i need help on is modifying the battery holder. Anyone here performed a mod to mt's battery holder?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Brushless motors, when properly geared, do not run any hotter than brushed. But it is true that running faster can result in more damage (when you crash), but if you are going 3s lipo that is a concern already.

I have not modded my battery holder so I can't help you there.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
If you gear a brushless motor for similar performance to a brushed motor it'll actually run quite a bit cooler since they are much more efficient.

2s lipo on a ~3500kv motor will be PLENTY fast, it's WAY faster than a 17t brushed motor with matched nicads!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you gear a brushless motor for similar performance to a brushed motor it'll actually run quite a bit cooler since they are much more efficient.

2s lipo on a ~3500kv motor will be PLENTY fast, it's WAY faster than a 17t brushed motor with matched nicads!
I don't mind brushless. If I can get my hands on a brusless system here in classified section would be nice....don't want to spend too much on a new one.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
If I buy the hobbywing ez run 3300 kv motor what's a good turnigy esc to pair it with? I'm not looking to spend too much!
Last edited by jsarwar469; Mar 20, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Is this a good combo? The reviews are pretty good...

http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-9r-4370kv.html

Please recommend/suggest anything you think is better etc. If you think I can build something better for just a little more I dont mind looking into it. Otherwise I'm thinking about ordering this setup.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
For 4wd I would go with a lower kv motor. I have been checking out this esc http://www.brushlesshobbies.com/80A-...mer_p_112.html looks like a rebadged xerun/hobbywing/speed passion
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:51 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
I'd go with this one for 4wd: http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-12r-3300kv.html

I have the 3930kv version in my 2wd stadium truck (well, it's in my 1/16th scale e-revo until the motor/esc for it show up), and it runs great.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'd go with this one for 4wd: http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-12r-3300kv.html

I have the 3930kv version in my 2wd stadium truck (well, it's in my 1/16th scale e-revo until the motor/esc for it show up), and it runs great.
Have you ran it in a 10 scale car? 1/16 i imagine is much lighter than 1/10...is it made for 1/10? I don't see anything on the specs page
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:47 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
I think you'd be safe with a 60amp esc, I believe my sidewinder is rated around 65amps. of course higher amps would be good too That looks like a decent combo, too bad it is out of stock. The rs4mt is not real heavy for a 4wd
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:03 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarwar469 View Post
Have you ran it in a 10 scale car? 1/16 i imagine is much lighter than 1/10...is it made for 1/10? I don't see anything on the specs page
I bought the motor for my 1/10th scale XXT stadium truck, and ran it all summer in that. I've got the same ESC and the 4400kv motor on the way for the mini e-revo, which is hugely over powered by the 1/10th scale system in it.

In the XXT, with a 2s5000mah lipo it's noticeably faster than a bandit VXL with an 8 cell pack, runs fine for long periods of time (30 minutes +) even in the hottest part of the summer.

It's most definitely made for 1/10th scale, I've just dropped it into the mini revo for a bump in power. Plus, it's cheaper to run these combos with the big block motor mount than to run a comparable 2850 motor. Here's a picture to show just how ridiculous it looks in the little truck:

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
I am wondering if the 380 motor is up to the task of a 4wd? Those leopard motors are 380s with fins to 540 size