HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
Oh and back to your question about it being harder to turn, that's definitely not a bad thing at all. The motor in my Motley Crew (boat) is very hard to turn and it's a powerhouse.

The reason for it is the stator (windings). If it's slotless it'll turn over really easily, but if it's a slotted stator you'll feel it kinda snap into place as it passes each slot.

Slotless stator:

Slotted stator:
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
oh got it now!

I actually got a little scared I thought the motor is old n rusted etc so its having a hard time moving.

so to my knowledge most of these brushless motors can be rebuilt. so does that mean they can also be upgraded? like adding a better rotor to improve performance is that true as well?
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:30 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
Rotor and stator need to be matched together in size and number of poles. Tekin (and others) sell different size rotors, and different wind stators for some of their motors, but it's not like you can just grab any random rotor and put it in any random stator and have it work.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
A local guy I normally trade with picked up a 150c lipo battery. I asked him him of it makes a difference, the discharge rate does it make a difference. he said he see a huge dofference in speed n power when he switches from his 40c to his 150. like almost a 30%+ increase in performance. i didnt believe him so I wanted to ask you guys does it really make that big of a difference?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
I call BS on 30% increase fresh off the charger unless he's pulling a TON of amps (40c 5000mah can do 200a constant).

The big benefit to higher C packs is that they have less voltage sag under load throughout the discharge cycle. The result is that you have more punch towards the end of the run than a lower C pack does.

I run 50c packs in my 22T and find they're very consistent over the length of a 5 minute qualifier or 10 minute main. They're even pretty consistent over a 15-20 minute practice session.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I didn't think of that all. capacity drops so the amperage will drop...lol I'm a noob.

well I sold my ZD racing esc and the motor I didn't like it a lot it was too slow for me. I actually picked up the 4 pole cc motor and a ez run 6000kv motor.

also picked up a stampede shape shifter roller which has been converted to a truggy and I gotta say this thing looks really cool. it is 4x4 so I'm gonna try n run the cc 4pole 4600 kv with a small pinion and see how that plays out. Nd use the ezrun 6000kv with the rustler.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
oh and I ordered 2 new esc's. ones a car esc, turnigy 100a

and the 2nd one is kinda experimental. its a heli/plane 70a esc and up to 6s capable. I'm going to try it with a car and see how well it works. it has a bec intergrated. I understand there is no reverse and brakes are different too but I'm gonna mess around with the settings and just try it out see how it goes. any thoughts/ideas on that?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:22 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
The "brakes" on a heli/plane ESC are nowhere near powerful enough for actually stopping a car/truck. It's just meant to stop a prop from free wheeling in the wind.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
sorry its not a heli/plane, its actually a boat esc. Idk of that makes a difference.

here are the detailed specs...what about the clockwise/counter clockwise??

Programming Options
Cell Type: NiMH/NiCD/Lipoly
Cell Count: 2s~7S
Throttle Setting: Auto/Soft/Hard
Brake: No Brake/Soft/Medium/Hard
Direction: Clockwise/Counter Clockwise
Cut off: Soft/Hard
Timing: 1/7/15/30
PWM: 8Khz/16khz
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:35 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
I wouldn't suggest running a boat ESC in a car, they're meant (and specs based on) to be water cooled. Without cooling they'll run much hotter, and won't be able to take as much current as it's rated for.

I'm not sure the brakes will be useful with that either.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
hello...I have a A question...I leave some of ny rc equipment in my trunK sometimes for a week...motors esc get really hot in my trunk...is that okay and safe for the equipment? motors get hot.to the touch...while sitting in my trunk...don't worry I don't keep any lipo batteries in there ...that's the only thing I take out
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
How hot is it where you live ?,
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
it gets like 90+ outside here normally...on hot days over 100 but not too many of them.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
put a thermometer in the trunk and see how hot it gets in there. if it clears 170, then I wouldn't leave my stuff in there. I am guessing you should be ok.
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Hello all

I just purchased a LRP X12 Vector 3.0 turns 11,600KV motor. I'm planning on using this motor with the Traxxas rustler and I'm wondering is that's okay. Website doesnt say whether this motor is for on road or off road and I know from the specs one would think its definately for on road cars. I want to know if anyone ran one of these in a lighter truck such as a rustler.

2nd Question is max voltage is listed to be around 6 volts, the only lipo I have is actually a 3s. Would it be okay if I ran a 3s lipo with this motor? Or should I buy a 2s lipo? I have some nimh and nicad batteries but idk how well they'll perform.

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...d-30t/details/