HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Lol yea plan was to record a few extra long runs but didn't go well...stripped the main gear but no worries I ordered a steel spur.

I'm selling the Hpi rs4 mt roller or rtr...and also the losi xxxt roller or rtr...let me know if guys want to buy!

Keeping the rustlee and the truck above which is 100% identical to the hsp 94111 and the volcano I think.
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
I am considering getting rid of my rs4mt too and replacing it with the ofna crt .5 its similar but a little smaller with part still available. but I have enjoyed the rs4mt a lot, i really have a hard time letting go, you barely got to enjoy yours during your learning curve. another part of me thinks I should pick yours up for parts. what to do, what to do
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kistner View Post
I am considering getting rid of my rs4mt too and replacing it with the ofna crt .5 its similar but a little smaller with part still available. but I have enjoyed the rs4mt a lot, i really have a hard time letting go, you barely got to enjoy yours during your learning curve. another part of me thinks I should pick yours up for parts. what to do, what to do
lol...i know that feeling...really the only reason I'm selling this is because its a bit difficult to find parts...people posted here to get something which in case breaks can be replaced without having to wait long to find parts...took that into consideration and decided to put it away and not run it just so i wont break it again lol....even though i have like almost every part in spare.

I really like the belt driven 4x4 it is soooo appealing, something you dont see in today's RCs....I really love that about it but thing with me is i break things easy.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
The associated sc10 4x4 is belt drive but you are right, it is less common
Old May 01, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
So finally I installed the Steel spur gear into the 4x4 tpet....ran liek twice and the pinion keeps slipping off doesntm atter how tight i make it..weight of the truck is just a little too much im thinking and the steel spur is pretty damn heavy...also is there something i can do if i have stripped the motor mount holes in the motor...the stock hex top screws it came with 2 of the holes were already stripped...i was using the 2nd 2 holes and i tighten it too much on accident and stripped another one...after that I've been using pretty much any screw i can find that will hold...

Is there a permanent fix to this? Can i dremel new holes into the motor? or just us thicker screws? I was thinking about taking it to the local hobby store and have them take a look at it...but If i can fix it myself thats even better.
Last edited by jsarwar469; May 01, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Try a little blue loctite on your pinion.
Which motor has the stripped holes? I have re-threaded a motor once, any chance you have a tap set
Old May 01, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Try a little blue loctite on your pinion.
Which motor has the stripped holes? I have re-threaded a motor once, any chance you have a tap set
Its the Traxxas 3500kv motor....motor from the VXL-3S brushless system.
Motor:
http://traxxas.com/products/parts/mo...ineon3500motor

I'll try that blue loctile.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
And one more thing the Tpet 4x4 truck...its pretty much the same as the HSP 94111, or the redcat volcano....im running the system in there currently and with the original 64T spur I was running a 18T pinion and it was running fine....but with this steel spur it doesnt feel smooth at all its a little jerky and super loud...I was thinking if I take the 4v4 middle drive arm out and make it a 2wd can I use a higher pinion? such as a 24? Is there still a chance of ESC overheating? And those ESC fans if I use one to cool it down can I keep it a 4x4 and run a higher arm it should be fine right?
Old May 01, 2012, 11:21 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
you can buy a new end for the traxxas motor.
Steel on steel is noisier, as for the tpet, you are out of my element on that one. Any time you change pinions you have to keep an eye on temps.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
you can buy a new end for the traxxas motor.
Steel on steel is noisier, as for the tpet, you are out of my element on that one. Any time you change pinions you have to keep an eye on temps.
Damn I cant seem to find the part number for the motor end....For now I'll try to get my hands on a tap set and work on rebuilding the threads.
Old May 02, 2012, 03:46 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
I found the part, but its wrong end
http://www.traxxas-parts.com/traxxas...number=TRA3354
Old May 06, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I managed to rethread using diff screws...I have a quick question...

If I get a 25a esc which ia rated 25 constant and 60 burst, can I pair with a motor rated at 65 continuous and 100 burst? It'll just bottleneck the motor right? Am I missing aomething ?
Old May 06, 2012, 07:55 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Nope... you'll fry the esc in a big hurry.

The proper way to spec a power system is to pick a motor and gearing, then pick an ESC which can easily handle the amp draw of the motor/gearing combination in that vehicle, then pick batteries that can easily handle the maximum amp draw of the ESC.

Too weak of batteries will ruin the packs over time and/or puff them in a hurry, too weak of an ESC will fry.

Also keep in mind that the amp draw specs on a motor a guidelines, if you gear it differently you can have MUCH different current draw, easily over double. The motor won't last long like that though.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Got you!

Well on my current setup im running a 83 spur and 27 pinion and I feel like the battery is dying a little quicker than it should specially after the steel idle gear and the steel bigger gear inside... and the car feels slower as well after the steel gearbox upgrades....this is one the 2wd rustler...battery is 3800MAH...should I switch to a smaller pinion to avoid this?

EDIT:

Also is there a chart that will show me amp draw based on gearing setup? running a rustler btw.
Old May 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
You can only guesstimate at amp draw since there are so many variables at play...

Wheel size, motor kv, motor efficiency, gearing, surface you're running on, running conditions (WOT all the time, or lots of acceleration and braking), etc.

You can get data logging equipment that'll give you much more information, the castle esc's with logging give you TONS of data.

As for the gearing, how is the motor temperature with the current gearing? 3800mah is on the low side for car packs, I'd recommend 5000mah for sure.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons