Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Help!
NEW to this stuff...bought a HPI RS4 MT...

hello everyone!

Im pretty new to RC stuff. I recently bought a HPI RS4 MT from a local sale. It looks pretty new and pretty good condition for a 10+ year old car. It did not come with a battery. I need to know what kind of battery/charger should I buy for it? I've been looking around and I almost ordered a 7.4v 4000mah 2s 35c lipo...but then I ead somewhere the stock ESC might not be able to handle a lipo...can someone suggest what kind of battery should i get if i wanted it to perform really well!

Its all stock BTW. I know its discontinued and its very hard to find parts for it. I'm just trying this stuff out to see if this is my new thing!

I would really appreciate any kind of help or comments etc. thanks.
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
anyone?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
You need to use a lvc or lvd for lipo and this esc
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Last edited by traxx de maxx; Mar 14, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
manual
If it can run a six cell NiCAD it can run a 2s lipo, voltage is voltage.
The motor pulls what power is needed from the battery. If you put a bigger motor in then it will damage the esc.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
sweet I just ordered a turnigy 7.4 2s battery and a turnigy charger as well. lets hole everything works out!

i was thinking about putting a brushless system in but i dont think the stock design will handle it....and it looks like its super hard to find any parts for it.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I just found out I have the Tekin Rebel speed control with reverse...not the rebel 2.

i found a manual for it and it seems it can handle 4 to 10 cells batteries....did some more research and many people used the 3s lipos on these ESC's with no problem.

Now I need to know if I order a 11.1v battery should i be concerned about damaging the 20T HPI motor? i think its a 20t, might be 19t...

A quick reply would be nice...i still have to cancel my order!! thanks
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:59 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
running a 3s will give lots more power than a 2s at the cost of burning up the brushes faster.
I would imagine the motor is a disposable motor where you can't replace the brushes.
But a 3s lipo is less than the 10cell Ni** voltage. running 2s maybe undervolting the motor which will run poorly. Maybe even stress the battery if it's not up to scratch.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
running a 3s will give lots more power than a 2s at the cost of burning up the brushes faster.
I would imagine the motor is a disposable motor where you can't replace the brushes.
But a 3s lipo is less than the 10cell Ni** voltage. running 2s maybe undervolting the motor which will run poorly. Maybe even stress the battery if it's not up to scratch.
Thanks for the reply!

If I'm under volting volting with a 2s I rather buy the 3s. If i can find out the exact voltage the motor can handle it would be much better.

Does anybody know the stock motor that came with Mt? The guy said 20t motor on his ad. Do you guys think it is Saturn 20t? I don't want to take it apart yet maybe on my day off.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
I'm not sure if this comes as a roller when new and people buy the esc+motor,servos,radio equipment separately. Could you take a few pics, that would help great
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Yea sure...here they are.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:40 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
Thats not the motor i was thinking it was. Pm sent
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
You need to use a lvc or lvd for lipo and this esc
Few days ago i read it and did not understand what a LVD/LVD is...now i'm pretty sure its "low voltage cutoff/discharge/disconnect", lol.

Now i need your help finding one that will cut off power to motor when voltage below safety level...ones i see on HK are mainly alarms/lights...i want one with actual power cutoff feature. I dont want to spend too much either....might just go with the alarm on HK...But if you want to recommend one thats better.

thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:13 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
LVA
alarms are better really for price and benefit.
LVC i don't know if hobby king has any but novak smart stop is one, The LVA is better than this because of the voltage cutoff is a little bit on the low side.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I ordered an Alarm/Checker and just about ready to order a 3s 35c battery after reading up on lipos a little more.
I ordered a "Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A" charger and it needs power supply. Charger shipped from Hong Kong 3 days ago. I'm not sure what to look for in the power supply. I see some cheap ones on HK for under 10 dollars they look alot like laptop power supply. I was wondering if I order one of those will it work?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:31 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
should of went higher Wattage on the charger unless the 3s is smaller than 4500mah the max charge rate a 3s will do is 4.5A. Hobby king has a range 100W and over which should keep you going for a good while.
Power supply you should look at something higher wattage than what your charger is capable of putting out. But the the required Voltage.
My laptop power supply is 19V 3.4A 65W, But the charger has an input of 11-17V input.