Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
Discussion
Fan exploded, motor shaft is bend

Hi,

I tried to fly for the first time with a Wicked 4000 Plus motor w/ 64mm EDO Fan unit. The fan exploded upon hand launching and now the shaft on the motor is bend. I am not sure why the fan exploded, it was running fine when I tried it on the ground. I have a few questions:
1) I saw spare shafts on Don's web site. Is there instructions to disassemble the motor and replace the shaft?
2) What fan do you recommend to replace the stock fan for Squall 4s from phase 3? What rotor plug do I need with that?
3) If I use the motor in the stock fan, what rotor plug should I use?

Thanks a lot,

Le fou
le fou is online now Find More Posts by le fou
Last edited by le fou; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
Not sure why it failed, were you holding it close to the fan unit when you launched it? It is possible to squeeze the fuselage right at the moment of launch which can cause the housing to strike the rotor. I found the thread you bought that fan/motor from, can you verify the motor has a yellow paint dot on the black heat shrink coming out of the side of the motor? The yellow means 4000 KV, if it is green then that is 4400KV.

As far as the shaft the easiest thing will be for you to send the motor to me and I will replace the shaft as I have the required tools to do so. If you want to use that motor in the Squall you can use the stock Squall fan and all you need is the "XF adapter" to connect the rotor to the fan. Or I can mount it into the HET 6404 fan unit if you want but if you already have the Squall fan unit, then might as well use it.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply. It has a yellow dot. How much is the service fee to repair the motor? I do not believe I was squeezing the fuselage when I launch the airplane. Does the het 6404 fit in the squall? I thought that the stoc fan was a 70mm.

Thanks,

Le fou
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
Just pay the return postage and I will fix the motor for you. The stock Squall fan is 70mm, I only suggest the 6404 as that is largest fan unit I sell in the 800 watt range which is what the Wicked 4000 Plus will be in the stock Squall fan unit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
Hi,

Where do I find your shipping address? I could not find it on the web site.

Thanks,

David
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
224 Posts
hi Don,
are you going to be at the Toledo show this weekend? Can I drop off my motor to you at that time for repair?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,940 Posts
I will be there Friday, but I do not have a booth or display there.
RCG Plus Member