throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr..speed View Post
I can not open the link
It's working here. Interesting content.
Not the first time I read something similar related to RC gear/parts.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr..speed View Post
I can not open the link
Here is the info at the link. Bear in mind, these are NOT MY WORDS. I'm QUOTING the info at the link!

Quote:
"I first came across the manufacturer back in December 2010 after several weeks of searching high and low.
Originally it was a security market product that had a recommended retail value of $300 and a low data rate of only 3mb/s and was not really suitable for FPV for various reasons.
The factory was anxious to get my custom so I spent from January 2011 till April of the same year discussing my vision for a perfect DVR for FPV use.
Finally the DVR-SD4 came into existance and we took delivery of the first samples in late April.

The factory again insisted on a price of $300 but I managed to talk them down to $185 as a launch price.
This would be FPV-Japan firmware and therefore be separate from the security market. I also advised them that if they are to sell well in the FPV market they have to be at a lower price than Lawmate.

Everyone was happy, including you )
On a side note if you knew the 'real' price of most of your possessions you would probably spit your coffee out at your monitor. The middlemen provide marketing and sales as well as support and aftermarket service. They make a product happen just as much as the designer, factory and user does.

Digressing...

From April through to about November of the same year we improved several aspects of the build. The firmware was tweaked for full frame uncropped and unstretched video. While the other improvements were mainly on the mechanical front such as the use of all Japanese/Taiwanese parts for switchs and sockets as well as the LCD. The LCD window now uses 3M tape and it's size was slightly reduced to allow a better fit. The finish of the brushed aluminium effect on the body was refined to be smoother and the leather pouch was completely redesigned making it more secure as well as adding a hole to allow playback when cased.
We replaced the straight AV cables with 90 degree type to alleviate stress from the sockets and PCB and I had an extra cable made up with the Aux power plug removed.
All of the above improvements were a direct result of my constructive critisicm as we worked to improve the product. It is now November 2011.

Tim of RMRC had been purchasing from me for a while and the factory was happy with the numbers.

During this time the family run factory had a fallout and split. I stayed with the elder brother who had been working with me on the improvements and we plodded along, business as usual. He is also the patent holder of the device.

In January of 2012 a batch of 50 DVR were confiscated by US customs and ultimately destroyed (search the thread for the painful details).
I worked out a compensation plan between myself and the factory for Tim which took until about June of this year to pull off. I have still not recovered from this. Yes, $300 retail and I would have scraped through ok D
Learning one fall at a time...

During that time 'my' factory began supplying a local Chinese vendor the basic DVR.
This vendor then proceeded to block all Chinese IP access (as do hobbyking and others - it's done so that the factories cannot monitor or protect their prices). They also put in place an IP filter so that when I visited from Japan I would see the factory's agreed price.
Their batch of 50 sold out and due to breach of contract they were unable to get any more stock. They then went to the other factory (from before the family split) and played the same old trick. But luckily with an orphaned build and one that has not benefited from the hard work put in by myself and my guy at 'our' factory.

As this played out a fellow Chinese vendor chatted with me, as you do when you are in the business, and said he was not surprised by the dirty tricks of that particular vendor. He even went as far as to say how he was aware that I had put in all the hard work and that these cowboys just steal all the marketing and popularity and then try to make a killing upon that. Support? If it breaks forget it.
This very same person supposedly sharing my dismay had already sourced the DVR (it's a free market - play fair eh) but had the cheek to present the DVR, albeit not our exact build, to a certain well known YouTube reviewer as his very own DVR and the reviewer in question then, without any background research proceeded to tout the DVR in question as 'a first' in the FPV world. The DVR-SD4 had already been around for over 12 months at this point.

This very same vendor even had the audacity to say be aware of that guy from FPV-Japan to this particular YouTube reviewer.

Despite agreeing on a MAP (minimum advertized price) they proceeded to do exactly the same as the other vendor that they criticised."
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Last edited by motoguy1; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,614 Posts
And what about any resellers in EU?
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
Here is the info at the link. Bear in mind, these are NOT MY WORDS. I'm QUOTING the info at the link!
Motoguy1, just a quick tip, you can quote anyone outside RCG by:

[QUOTE=anyone]
blah
[/QUOTE ]

(remove last space) Here's how that looks like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone
blah
Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:26 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2008
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
We have it here in the UK: http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/rec...fpv-pocket-dvr

All the best

Simon
FPV-UK is offline Find More Posts by FPV-UK
Last edited by FPV-UK; Sep 14, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:25 AM
Still flying a desk..
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Sep 2001
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
For those of you considering the BEV RC unit, I would strongly suggest you order the unit from Ren @ FPV-Japan instead. I see some folks saying they're the same unit...but they're -not-. Ren is actively involved with the development and improvement of his recorder. Unlike BEVRC, where many of you are having trouble with reliable communications, Ren @ FPV Japan responds to e-mails quickly, and is even very active in FPV-Japan forums on other FPV web sites. He's easy to get in touch with.

For those of you who say "it's the same hardware, so it's the same thing", it's not. Here is something in Ren's own words describing the situation:

http://pastebin.com/JP0FZw3J

In short (as manufacturers across the world have discovered), it appears the Chinese agent helping Ren build / spec these for FPV use decided to take the design and sell it himself. Again, like many Chinese copies or pirated wares, though the product looks the same on the outside, it's NOT the same on the inside.

The premium for the FPV-Japan unit will help ensure you get the unit you -want-, that works the way you expect. It will also ensure you have good product support should there be an issue. I know some folks will take issue with this for whatever reason. I have no affililation with Ren, other than being a satisfied customer. It was only about 4 weeks ago that I was trying to figure out which DVR to buy. My research led me to the FPV-Japan unit, and I'm glad I made that purchase. As a matter of fact, I was SHOCKED when the unit I ordered from Ren arrived at my home, halfway around the world, in less than a week. He seemed somewhat surprised too, when I advised him of it.
That's a real sad story/history for someone trying to bring a great product to market. I feel for Ren who (and I've done it as well) has been given a rough ride by frustrated FPVer's wanting to buy his product.

However, I would say to Ren that he still needs to get his price down if he hopes to reclaim his market. $200 vs $119 is a very big gap! ($150 is realistic in my view)
My other concern is that I've seen no evidence to support any claims that the FPV-Japan unit is any better or any more reliable than the knock off product.
I've been speaking to a reputable retailer in the U.K. trying to get the price down or source or get him to source the knock off version for me.

As far as BEVRC (and my dead PV700) are concerned. I've finally received a 'one liner' email pointing me to the FAQ page
I'll take that as being authority to return the unit. It's now on it's way (with tracking) back to BEVRC. Watch this space!

ChilternFlyer is online now Find More Posts by ChilternFlyer
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:32 AM
Still flying a desk..
Joined Sep 2001
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo745 View Post
My PV-700 was D.O.A and I haven't been able to get a response from BEVRC via any of their listed contact and message options.
So I lodged a Paypal dispute and got a reply telling me to contact them for help if I have a faulty product, to quote them,

"Before returning goods, please contact us first to discuss the issues you are having. 90% of the time we are able to sort out the problem by giving technical support, without you having to send anything back"
So how does this work when you can't contact them or get no reply to any messages or emails sent ????

So has anyone else get a replacement successfully ?
It gives me the sh.... that I have to spend MORE $$$ to send back a faulty product.
Will they refund my freight, NO Way I bet.
I feel your pain.. I've spent the last 4 weeks emailing them constantly. I got so mad the other night that I sat there for 15 mins clicking the send/back buttons on the submit form on their website. I don't know how many copies they received but it did finally get a response:-
Quote:
------------------
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply,
http://www.bevrc.com/faq_info.html?faqs_id=73

Best,
BEVRC.com
paypal: rc_view@hotmail.com
msn: bird.eye.view@hotmail.com
I've taken their response as being authority to send it back. It's now in the post with a tracking number and has to be signed for at the other end.
I hope this helps.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:34 AM
Still flying a desk..
Joined Sep 2001
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Simon stocks them. He did have the FPV-japan version (last week) but it was very expensive. After emailing him last week he said that he was talking to a source in china:-
I've just checked his website and it appears that the chinese version will be available soon

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/rec...fpv-pocket-dvr
Last edited by ChilternFlyer; Sep 14, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2012
593 Posts
My PV700 from BEVRC showed up yesterday with a dead battery. Now begins the search for a suitable replacement... It works with external power but that is of limited value.

I've ordered a bit of FPV gear from them (about $500 worth) and this is the only issue but it is very annoying and might just mean I don't order anything from them in future.
Robert_AU is offline Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:30 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Lawmate is not knock,off pvr bu.t all others are

Generally knock,offs are poor in quality and that is whyntheynare cheap

Lawmate makes good pvr but more money

Pv 500 is good,one
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
ReadyMadeRC has the FPV-Japan unit for $174.99. Thought I'd point that out for those saying that the FPV-Japan unit is $200, with the BEVRC unit being $120.

Note the FPV-Japan unit from RMRC also includes a 2nd battery ($15), a 2nd AV cable ($5 or so), a car charger ($5-$10), as well as a bare cable ($4?), should you want to create your own switch.

So the "big" $55 difference between the FPV-Japan unit, and the BEVRC unit shrinks to a $25 difference, when you factor in what comes with the FPV-Japan unit. And with the FPV-Japan unit, you've got Ren (product developer) and Tim (if ordered through ReadyMadeRC) for customer support. Both have -excellent- reputations for customer support. How has customer support been with BEVRC?

Again, I'm not affiliated with BEVRC, FPV-Japan, or ReadyMadeRC. However, after the considerations, I decided to order from FPV-Japan. Given the small price difference, improved functionality, and post-sale support, it seemed a no-brainer. I guess I'm trying to make sure that those considering a DVR are aware of these considerations prior to placing your order. I'd hate to see you fall into the frustration of the BEVRC unit, when the FPV-Japan unit is only $25 more. They may look the same on the outside, but that's about the end of the similarities.

I guess I've reached the point in my life where I've come to appreciate the best value, vs the cheapest cost. Best value, IMO, leaves you satisified long-term, whereas cheapest cost usually ends up costing you more down the road (frustration, replacement, repair, etc).
Last edited by motoguy1; Sep 16, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2012
593 Posts
BEVRC reviews

I added a review on the BEVRC site for the PV700 that mentioned the DOA battery and did not give a four star or greater rating. The posting was Saturday morning but it doesn't appear on their site.

As none of the listed reviews are less than four star, I now have to ask; do they block reviews that are less than perfect? I hope not.

Can anyone recommend a source for a replacement battery? I am not having any luck with the battery suppliers that I know of.
Robert_AU is offline Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_AU View Post
I added a review on the BEVRC site for the PV700 that mentioned the DOA battery and did not give a four star or greater rating. The posting was Saturday morning but it doesn't appear on their site.

As none of the listed reviews are less than four star, I now have to ask; do they block reviews that are less than perfect? I hope not.

Can anyone recommend a source for a replacement battery? I am not having any luck with the battery suppliers that I know of.

ReadyMadeRC has them (if the hardware is indeed the same as the FPV-Japan unit).

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=674
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:32 AM
Still hackin'
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Nov 2005
428 Posts
Bat model if it helps...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=68
Thermicdude is offline Find More Posts by Thermicdude
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:01 AM
Australia, SA, Second Valley
Joined Jul 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_AU View Post

I put a lousy review on the site saying my DVR was DOA and it never appeared online. So someone must monitor it.
So why is it so F****** hard to get an email response from them.
Dingo745 is offline Find More Posts by Dingo745