HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
running reciever and speed control off of 2 aa batteries?

Hey guys. I am working on a group project for one of my engineering desgn classes. We are building a robot that can only carry 2 aa batteries on board (3v total). I am wanting to use a jr 6ch airplane radio i have to control it but was wondering if the reciever will even operate at such a low voltage. We are also trying to figure out how to control the speed of our drive motors. we are using a tamiya twin motor gearbox for power. We also need to rig up a small winch system and i figured a servo with the pot removed would be the easiest solution. Just wonder if 2aa's will supply enough voltage to be compatable with the reciever, a traxxas digital speed controller and a servo.

Thanks, justin
rustyrider is offline Find More Posts by rustyrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,114 Posts
I would seek a transfer if possible.

Seriously.........Got to the Micro RTF section. They normally live on that level...........You will need a full micro to do your specifications with ease & reliability.

Read all the rules carefully for loopholes that allow SOMETHING not specified.... to do or not to do.

Like rechargeable NIMH AA. Very powerfull for a small robot. Recharge as often as needed if not prohibited.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Last edited by cyclops2; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,411 Posts
Simple answer... No. You may be able to get the receiver to run off ~3V, but trying to power the motors, ESC, and servo off them at the same time will just be too much. Chances are the ESC won't even function on such low voltage.

What size motors are you using? If this thing is small enough, one possibility could be to modify a couple servos to work as gearboxes with integrated ESCs and motors. They could be run directly off the receiver. 3V is pretty low, but might be workable.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
the gearbox uses 2 fa-130 motors. We wont be needing to run the servo and the motors at the same time. I wonder if they make rc plane speed controllers for the micro planes that operate on a lower voltage?
rustyrider is offline Find More Posts by rustyrider
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:41 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Well put simply I doubt that your JR receiver will work reliably or at all at 3v, my money is on it won't. The JR/Spektrum equipment just does not handle low voltages very well. Your best bet is if your transmitter is designed to use a module than source a Corona module and receiver as the Corona will keep working down to about 2.25v which is the lowest i've seen tested. http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/corona_dsssv2_2.shtml You can also source some servo's that are designed to run off single life or lipo cell so "should" work at 3v.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,114 Posts
A very simple solution is COMPLETE industrial off the shelf designs.

Buy a.... micro car.... at a cheap discount / dollar toy store. Read the vehicle BATTERY requirements........Done Pick a ....AA....powered vehicle. It could even be Barbie. Done

There is VERY LITTLE new electronic breakthrus to be made any more.

Knowing how to search for adaptable parts is what made me a sucessfull retired redesigner.

Companies LOVE people who find existing parts to do a project.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2