Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Discussion
Another can you identify this thread :)

The title says it all...
I might have another great deal on some planes lined up, just need to know a bit about them.
Can anyone tell me who makes these, and what a fair price might be?
These are from an old lady whose husband died a few months ago. If we want them my aunt is going to bring them down this weekend, but I'd like to know what they are first...
Thanks again!
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
They are both Beech Staggerwings. The bottom one is almost certainly an old Byron Originals kit. The top one may be as well but I can't tell from the picture.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
They are both Beech Staggerwings. The bottom one is almost certainly an old Byron Originals kit. The top one may be as well but I can't tell from the picture.
I think you're right. This was just the picture I got, with the two together...but I think the top is a full scale, and the bottom looks like a byron from what I've found. Thanks.

Now what would be a good price to offer on it? Considering I'm not there to see it in person, dont know what radio gear, engine, etc is in it...would $300 be fair?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
Hard to say what it's worth from just the picture. If it has the Byron retractable gear in it, which it appears to have, then there are guys out there who would pay $300 for that alone. The Quadra 50 was a pretty standard engine for this bird but it's impossible to say if that is what is in this one. If it is built well and has serviceable engine and retracts then, IMHO, it's easily worth twice what you suggest.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
Yes ..don't sell it short....that was one beautiful flying airplane,and you could set up a landing approach as if it were on rails.
That landing gear was in exactly the right place.....when the airplane touched down,it stayed planted.

They recently sold one NIB for 750.00...if that one is flyable and decent looking,ask at least 500.00..They don't make 'em like that any more.

Please get back to us with more info....Eng....Radio?? Retracts ??

The trainer behind it will be interesting to some newbie,most likely..
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Ok, I hear you.
The problem is, the airplane is in pittsburgh, and I'm here in VA. I'm going to see if my aunt can bring it down this weekend when she visits, so I can look at it and make an decent offer.
The problem is, I'm still in high school at the moment, and I wont have a job until this summer. If I can get it for even $500, I'll be doing a lot of sweet-talking my mom and dad and pretty much have a going loan on it all summer.
I would love to have it though, really like scale planes lately. I wanted to get into 3d...but I got a goldberg cub on the same type of deal from up there around pittsburgh, and it tracks perfect and flies great!

Now that my family know's I'm into RC stuff they keep sending me stuff like this that they find from people around pittsburgh where most of them live.

I don't want to rip the lady off, but this would most definitely be the star of my hangar if I could get a hold of it. Might actually sell one or two other planes if I had to...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
I appreciate your not wanting to rip this lady off, but you might be wise to make her a fair offer,within your budget....
I do occasional estate sales for the LHS,and I've found the ladies are more interested in the items going to someone who would get use from them,and treat them with respect.
Lacking someone showing interest I've seen planes disposed of in dumpsters. Keeping that in mind,a reasonable offer may be accepted,by the seller.
Be fair,but don't feel guilty.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
"I'll be doing a lot of sweet-talking my mom and dad and pretty much have a going loan on it all summer"

Rotsa Ruck. I raised three sons and a grandson. Oldest son is now 57. Three of the four of them still owe me money I "loaned" them years ago:-))))))))))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
Les....they do that so you won't forget 'em. lol Earl.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Haha well I'll try to pay it back
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
Maybe a Ziroli?

I think you are right, the top is full scale (I did not look at the picture closely enough at first).
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
"Les....they do that so you won't forget 'em. lol Earl. "

That's amusing. Grandson came over the over day to make me a downpayment on what he owed me, and I had completely lost his account in a computer demise. Didn't remember how much he owed me. So he guessed at a figure, and I started a new account. At the rate he is paying, he will still be paying my estate, long after I'm gone:-))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
I promise to pay you back--Lord knows I'd rather die owing it to you,,than not pay you back!!!! ?lol

Not many people built the Ziroli Staggerwing,it's as nearly involved as the Top flite Stinson....It's well done,but requires a large time investment.

Nick designs a VERY flyable model aircraft..His DC-3 three is on on my bucket list
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
The Ziroli is what I want to build...I have a Ziroli D-18 full kit that I need to start one of these days, but figured I should start with the single-engined D-17!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I promise to pay you back--Lord knows I'd rather die owing it to you,,than not pay you back!!!! ?lol

Not many people built the Ziroli Staggerwing,it's as nearly involved as the Top flite Stinson....It's well done,but requires a large time investment.

Nick designs a VERY flyable model aircraft..His DC-3 three is on on my bucket list
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:46 PM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
297 Posts
The top one is the full scale at the air and space museum in DC
us185damiani is offline Find More Posts by us185damiani