SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Question
Balsa sheeting foam core wings vs just glassing.

What is your thoughts on balsa sheeting foam core wings vs just glassing.

Wanted to know if someone has done both and what their thoughts were.

It seems like balsa sheeting is a pain relative to 2 oz glass.

I'm look for hanger rash \ dent resistance and the wings are for an F15 which is fuse supported on landing

Thx in advance for any input

Did phrase searchs: balsa sheeting, glassing foam wing. balsa sheeting vs glass and found on thread but no comparisons.

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
11 Posts
I think the main elelment in strength and durability is, finishing resin. Using a ratio of alcohol to epoxy is the key. If you go the route of laying carbon fiber strips, then a layer of fiber glass and finish it of with finishing resin, you will end up with a very strong durable finish.
StevenN is offline Find More Posts by StevenN
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,863 Posts
I have used these before, although I only shetted the wing. Link doesn't take you right to page, click on order/view products, building materials.

https://www.dbproducts.com/index2.htm
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:46 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Hangar rash resistant, balsa+ glass will be my vote. I also use GorillaGlue as an adhesive when sheeting with balsa. Epoxy works but I like the no mixing required PU glue. The PU has to be applied as if it were epoxy (very, very thin!) and EVERY square inch covered.
I have tried Dave Browns Sorgum and it works very well to attach balsa to foam but once the local hobby shops ran out, I stopped using it. It is also VERY unforgiving when it come to positioning the foam to the wood, i.e. you have to place it right the first time because you will not be able to repostion it....don't ask me how I know .
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Hangar rash resistant, balsa+ glass will be my vote. I also use GorillaGlue as an adhesive when sheeting with balsa. Epoxy works but I like the no mixing required PU glue. The PU has to be applied as if it were epoxy (very, very thin!) and EVERY square inch covered.
I have tried Dave Browns Sorgum and it works very well to attach balsa to foam but once the local hobby shops ran out, I stopped using it. It is also VERY unforgiving when it come to positioning the foam to the wood, i.e. you have to place it right the first time because you will not be able to repostion it....don't ask me how I know .
K, quite as its kept this is my main concern.

I'm fairly new at this and I know no matter how much I take my time I'm going to screw this up and forget about something.

So do you use the GG when bonding the foam to the balsa?

If so does it foam up?

TIA
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
+1 on the balsa & glass

I use Titebond to glue the balsa to the foam, but I can see where GG would work well too.
Same deal, 100% coverage with the glue. Use the foam blanks (if you still have them) with weights on top when laminating the wing skins.

Spread very, very thin GG doesn't foam out. If it's oozing out, you've used too much.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,162 Posts
if your just glassing foam cores it will take a lot heavier cloth than the glass used for balsa sheeted wing ....balsa sheeted foam core would only need .5 to .75 oz. cloth. a glassed foam core would require a layer of 2oz. and possiably a layer of 5.8 oz. ...and maybe even more more layer in the areas of the spar ...it would depend on the final weight of the airframe and the speed and G load that is going to be seen during flight.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
...Same deal, 100% coverage with the glue. Use the foam blanks (if you still have them) with weights on top when laminating the wing skins...
K, dumb it down for me a bit...use single syllable words and throw some grunts in there once or twice

Is the process of putting the balsa on the foam the laminating process?

Quote:
...Spread very, very thin GG doesn't foam out. If it's oozing out, you've used too much.
Thx, I thought that to be the case that makes me feel a LOT better about sheeting but one more thing

Also, when I went to look for balsa sheets I couldn't find any that were over 4 - 5 inches wide.

Anyone have a source on "sheets" of balsa vs strips?

TIA
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
if your just glassing foam cores it will take a lot heavier cloth than the glass used for balsa sheeted wing ....balsa sheeted foam core would only need .5 to .75 oz. cloth. a glassed foam core would require a layer of 2oz. and possiably a layer of 5.8 oz. ...and maybe even more more layer in the areas of the spar ...it would depend on the final weight of the airframe and the speed and G load that is going to be seen during flight.
AUW is going to be around 16lbs at first but around 20lbs later on. I'm going to do twins 90 - 120s later on this year so the speed could be in the late 100s or early 2s

20lbs total lbs of thrust on twin 90s and 30lbs on twin 120s...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Wing skins can be found up to 12" wide.
http://www.specializedbalsa.com/prod...lsa_sheets.php
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Quote:
Is the process of putting the balsa on the foam the laminating process?
Yep
Quote:
Also, when I went to look for balsa sheets I couldn't find any that were over 4 - 5 inches wide.

Anyone have a source on "sheets" of balsa vs strips?
I just glue 4" sheets together with CA.
Lay them out flat on some wax paper and use just enough CA to join them together. Don't soak 'em together.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,274 Posts
"I'm look for hanger rash \ dent resistance'

Do both but put some glass between the foam and the balsa then on the outside on the balsa. You'll end up with a strong sandwich and solid core wing. Should take the hanger rash and dent resistance out of the equation as much as you can.
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Yep

I just glue 4" sheets together with CA.
Lay them out flat on some wax paper and use just enough CA to join them together. Don't soak 'em together.
thx

Goin by air sallys questions looks like I just have to cut some foam cores to to try out
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Has anyone used Fliteskin for add torsion\compression strength to a wing?

Thx in advance for any input

Regards
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
721 Posts
I glue thin plywood to foam using the same technique as above with gorilla glue but I always have to put weight on top to keep the small amount of foam from separating the 2 pieces..No matter how thin I apply the GG..always need weight or its not a good laminate....I guess you could just use hand pressure tgo get it tight on the aircraft but you will have to watch it like a hawk to be sure you get it pressed out when it is going solid..just a thought..take care all.................Chris
Hover or die is online now Find More Posts by Hover or die