Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:05 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
Alert
USPS Prohibits ALL Lithium Outbound International Shipments

Straight from USPS Headquarters 03/13/2012...

I just got notification that the USPS has made a final determination about international shipping of Lithium Polymer batteries. As of May 7th 2012, Lithium batteries OR products containing Lithium batteries will not be allowed to ship international or to APO, FPO, or DPO. This effects line 39 CFR Part 20 - Outbound International Mailings of Lithium Batteries and Other Dangerous Goods

"This final rule describes the prohibitions established for mailpieces containing lithium metal or lithium-ion cells or batteries and applies regardless of quantity, size, watt hours, and whether the cells or batteries are packed in equipment, with equipment, or without equipment."

"Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards... lithium batteries of any form shall be prohibited when mailed internationally or to an APO, FPO, or DPO location outside the of the United States (including its territories)."

Just thought I would pass this along in case anybody wants to sell a battery to a military serviceman overseas or our neighbors in Puerto Rico, Canada or Mexico (etc).
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Last edited by mattyhawk; Mar 14, 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added "Outbound" to title
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Trader Rating: 50
Are you absolutely sure about this ? http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52/pub52.pdf

That seems to contradict section 6 , exhibit 622.5

Do you have a link from the postal bulletin for this ?
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,863 Posts
Trader Rating: 24
if true,...we all knew this going to happen anyhow. The only entity that this might hurt is HK, and even then HK now has the USA warehouse. And then there's hobbypartz...and others with cheap Lipo options now as well here in the states.

Quite honestly, now that I think about it, it won't affect me at all.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
It appears to be for shipping 'out' of the USA so no effect on HK.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Are you absolutely sure about this ? http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52/pub52.pdf

That seems to contradict section 6 , exhibit 622.5

Do you have a link from the postal bulletin for this ?
The public documents aren't updated yet it would seem, no link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
if true,...we all knew this going to happen anyhow. The only entity that this might hurt is HK, and even then HK now has the USA warehouse. And then there's hobbypartz...and others with cheap Lipo options now as well here in the states.

Quite honestly, now that I think about it, it won't affect me at all.
Yeah, so far it won't affect the majority, but it shows a USPS trend that I am not pleased with. Can you imagine the fall out if USPS stopped accepting inbound lipo shipments? Ouch.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:44 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
A wild thought. If it did affect inbound...do you think domestic prices would stay as they are? Doubt it.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Apr 2004
804 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
USPS is pensioning it's way into extinction according to one of my long time mail worker friends. So, look for options .
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,863 Posts
Trader Rating: 24
the day will come when it will be cheaper to buy from you LHS! NOT!

rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Trader Rating: 45
Why would they prohibit outbound, but not inbound shipments? That just seems kinda pointless. Same trucks, same buildings, same content, what's the deal
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
Shhhh, don't tell them that. No one ever said the USPS was the brightest bunch
Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Sep 2009
229 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
UPS in shrewsbury MA had a incident a week ago with a package that ignited and released a toxic smoke with heat inside one of the trailers. They are investigating what caused it haven't heard anything else since this happend. My first thought was a lipo decided to let go the power hope that isn't the case. It would/could cause problems for us in the hobby down the road.
jt182 is offline Find More Posts by jt182
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,914 Posts
Trader Rating: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt182 View Post
UPS in shrewsbury MA had a incident a week ago with a package that ignited and released a toxic smoke with heat inside one of the trailers. They are investigating what caused it haven't heard anything else since this happend. My first thought was a lipo decided to let go the power hope that isn't the case. It would/could cause problems for us in the hobby down the road.
You can bet that after a couple more incidents like that, lithium based batteries will be banned from USPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Why would they prohibit outbound, but not inbound shipments? That just seems kinda pointless. Same trucks, same buildings, same content, what's the deal
The people packing the shipments. From some of the masterful packing I've seen from eBay, RCU and RCG members over the years, I'd ban them too.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,739 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
I take this new rule with a grain of salt...

They cant even regulate drugs going through the mail, how the heck are they going to come down on batteries...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,818 Posts
Trader Rating: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt182 View Post
Whoa - I missed that. I would have had the same first thought.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I take this new rule with a grain of salt...

They cant even regulate drugs going through the mail, how the heck are they going to come down on batteries...
USPS won't regulate until something happens, then its a federal crime and all the fun that ensues for the sender.

BTW: sorry I didn't put "Outbound" in the title, probably caused some to think we couldn't get shipments in from overseas.