Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
Doing Projects Differently
AzTrekie's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
Discussion
Am I cheating with my design of the Enterprise-A

On my design for the Enterprise-A is this permissible to make it float?

The design on my full fuse Enterprise, I have run to a snag as I can make it fly but not exactly float ( I did find out a way to make it float but have to put in an added transparent component between the nacelles /thanks to my fiend Klaus's suggestion) or should I go back to the drawing board and figure out another way to make it float?

here are some pictures to illustrate what I am talking about (courtesy of Klaus)

I would appreciate any and all suggestions and or advise
Dave
AzTrekie is offline Find More Posts by AzTrekie
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,142 Posts
Dave... you are killing me.

Why do you keep starting new threads for this one design? You really will have better luck if you keep everything together. When you add new info it brings your old thread right to the front.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
Doing Projects Differently
AzTrekie's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
question

Talon

I started this question because I is a basic question if cheating on a design or not
AzTrekie is offline Find More Posts by AzTrekie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
Doing Projects Differently
AzTrekie's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
with this cheat

with this cheat the Enterprise floats waving side to side as it goes through the air
AzTrekie is offline Find More Posts by AzTrekie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
586 Posts
I would change the design of the saucer section to make it a flat disc and use that as a wing to generate most of the lift rather than having those ribbed sections that give it more shape but likely kill the aerodynamics. The control surfaces on the tail would then do the rest.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Watt Waster
Tsavah's Avatar
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
Design Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
I would change the design of the saucer section to ... that give it more shape but likely kill the aerodynamics. The control surfaces on the tail would then do the rest.
I have seen three primary design concepts for the saucer section, each had advantages, but the disadvantages were often the focus of the discussions. Since the motor location is often in the saucer section, you are forced to make it stronger than one would a glider version. You can see at least two standard methods on Youtube, and an Internet search should bring up two more. As to using ribs to give the saucer section a classic look, that is where most end up with the wrong focus if a good RC flyer is the objective. As you stated, the saucer is used to generate most of the lift, but the lift must be balanced to the rest of the model if keeping as close to a scale copy is your objective. Since I don't care all that much about keeping it scale, I have a great deal of liberty in the design and appearance.

My hand gliders suggest the saucer section should be enlarged and look more like a flying body design, and oval seems to be a good option. The rest of the attachments need to be reduced in size, as if a cartoon version, and only hint at the TV show model arrangement. The key is not allowing those additional parts to induce so much drag as to limit the RC models ability to perform well. It really comes down to what you want the RC flyer to do - Look like a TV show prop, or fly well. Once you have decided which is more important, the rest of the decisions you make will be better focused.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Doing Projects Differently
AzTrekie's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
sorry for the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I have seen three primary design concepts for the saucer section, each had advantages, but the disadvantages were often the focus of the discussions. Since the motor location is often in the saucer section, you are forced to make it stronger than one would a glider version. You can see at least two standard methods on Youtube, and an Internet search should bring up two more. As to using ribs to give the saucer section a classic look, that is where most end up with the wrong focus if a good RC flyer is the objective. As you stated, the saucer is used to generate most of the lift, but the lift must be balanced to the rest of the model if keeping as close to a scale copy is your objective. Since I don't care all that much about keeping it scale, I have a great deal of liberty in the design and appearance.

My hand gliders suggest the saucer section should be enlarged and look more like a flying body design, and oval seems to be a good option. The rest of the attachments need to be reduced in size, as if a cartoon version, and only hint at the TV show model arrangement. The key is not allowing those additional parts to induce so much drag as to limit the RC models ability to perform well. It really comes down to what you want the RC flyer to do - Look like a TV show prop, or fly well. Once you have decided which is more important, the rest of the decisions you make will be better focused.
The pictures were only to show where the transparency would be located if I use that method, the ship was klaus's design not mine.
AzTrekie is offline Find More Posts by AzTrekie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:30 PM
Watt Waster
Tsavah's Avatar
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
An Interesting Beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTrekie View Post
The pictures were only to show where the transparency would be located if I use that method, the ship was klaus's design not mine.
Even though the ship isn't your design, I think you might be on to something useful.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Update 3-12-12 on design for the Starship USS Enterprise-A AzTrekie Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 56 Sep 21, 2012 01:30 AM
Build Log Update on my StarShip USS Enterprise-A AzTrekie Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Mar 06, 2012 01:34 PM
Discussion My Idea to build an Enterprise-A AzTrekie Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Feb 28, 2012 05:11 PM
Is it cheating to design a plane with no coupling Threshold Electric Plane Talk 9 Nov 01, 2005 12:47 PM