HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Discussion
who is making their own models' sails?

It has been perhaps 15 years since I made sails for my home built pond sailors. I bought rip-stop nylon, cut it, sewed the "hems" using an electric sewing machine, inserted dress makers' small brass grommets and sailed them. But I did get some feed back that my process was obsolete.
So my questions are how are you model builders making your sails now?
My present plan is to build some "quick build" hulls about 3 feet long and rig a 2 masted schooner, a brig, a brigantine and a galleon. That should be enough to get the grandchildren started sailing. Thanks
George
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,087 Posts
Hi George,

I used this info to get me started on making my own sails:
http://www.sailsetc.com/downloads/20...king_Notes.pdf

I know there's much more information available, but these notes are simple and compact, works for me.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
When i first started building RC boats i started with a local club who raced RC sail once a month. I bought a Victor soling to get into it but was soon scratchbuilding my own 36/600s and other 1 meters. A fella in the club tought me how to build out of micafilm useing a beveled block he made from plans from the AMYA. He told me to never make sails from nylon because it stretches to much and loses its shape. I ignored his advise and tried it anyway and sure enough! He was smarter than me!! My mica film sails still keep their shape and they were made in 92. You build them in panels and attach them to each successive panel with double sided tape. I used scotch dbl sided tape and they have still held!!! Hope this helps.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:15 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,411 Posts
George, I am very pleased with my Tyvek sails on schooner, sloop, and squarerigger. Hulls range from 10" to 3' length. Mine comes from a leftover roll of Tyvek housewrap - I have to cut out sails between the blue and red advertisement print. Another source is white mailing envelopes. Cut, reinforce corners with clear packing tape, and use cotton-wrapped polyester carpet thread for bending on the sail to the spar, not much quicker than that :-).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,041 Posts
I used to race with a group that had a guy who built a set of drafting mylar sails every year. Only seam tape was used, no stitching. I think he did it more to test out different designs than to replace worn out sets. And I obtained a big chunk of Tyvek for a set of scale sails and it looks very promising. I have also bought light weight Dacron from a sailmaker and built sails many years ago. Sometimes you can get scraps and corners for less money.
Seam tape is helpful as it really sticks. And sail repair tape (Dacron with PSA on the back) can be purchased in a variety of colors and works well to add the corner reinforcing.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
For a quick set of sails cut ripstop with a cutter blade on your soldering
gun to seal the edges.
DOOMSman is offline Find More Posts by DOOMSman