Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,965 Posts
Discussion
Looking for opinions on foam covering films

Which covering would be the best for white foam, Ultracote, Solar film or Towerkote? The plane is made of the cheap white foam that is used for insulation so I don't think it will handle much heat without melting. RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,965 Posts
I forgot to add econocote from Tower hobbies. RCNutt
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Laminating film is a good alternative if you can source some without having to buy a role. Roles are sized for laminating machines and usually sold in packages of two (top and bottom film). I bought some of the 5mm thickness film sold as pouches (12" x 18") closed on three sides, however the 5mm is much too heavy for a light plane. The 1.5mm or 2mm would be fine. The film is made of polyester, it is very strong, and it is dimensionally stable over a wide range of temperature. Mitch
Mitchell Covell is offline Find More Posts by Mitchell Covell
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
SEFF Contest Director
USA, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined Oct 2000
508 Posts
I've covered foam with all of the films that you mentioned. (not the shelf laminating film). I liked the Ultracote the best because how well it goes around corners and looks great plus they have more color choices. For economy reasons, the econokote from tower hobbies does just fine but with limited color options.

Hope this helps.

Ernie Schlumberger
rcjunkie is offline Find More Posts by rcjunkie
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
I've covered foam with all of the films that you mentioned. (not the shelf laminating film). I liked the Ultracote the best because how well it goes around corners and looks great plus they have more color choices. For economy reasons, the econokote from tower hobbies does just fine but with limited color options.

Hope this helps.

Ernie Schlumberger
I give RCjunkie 5 stars! he's right Ultracote from Hangar9 is the best straight on foam!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
I use 3mil low temp laminate. Works on depron blue cor and epp. I bought a 250ft roll for $22. sold some and it covered about 3/4 of my cost. Works great!
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,561 Posts
The covering film from HK works the same as ultracote at very low heat. Stretches and shrinks about the same. I covered this 1/3 scale Christen Eagle with it. Would have cost quite a bit for Ultracote. The HK stuff is $8.28 for 5 metres. Works very well.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
SEFF Contest Director
USA, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined Oct 2000
508 Posts
Good looking covering job Gord. Wish I knew that Hobby King covering worked that well. I might have gone that way on my Decathlon. Just bought $150 worth of 21st century to cover it.

Ernie
rcjunkie is offline Find More Posts by rcjunkie
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,965 Posts
Lammergier -- Where did you but the 3 mil laminate? Does it come in any colors? RCNutt
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
USA, GA, Carrollton
Joined Jan 2008
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt View Post
Where did you but the 3 mil laminate? Does it come in any colors? RCNutt
I bought my Doculam from this place. You can buy one roll. When I bought mine , I got the 1.5 mil 25 in. wide by 250 ft roll. $15.25 per roll plus $5.95 shipping. It works pretty good on balsa, haven't used any on foam, but I read somewhere that it works good on foam. You can paint it with Walmart $1 spray paint.

http://www.oregonlam.com/Laminating_...e.html#1525250
TFM70 is offline Find More Posts by TFM70
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,561 Posts
You can get Doculam from Staples in about 16 in. width about 6 or 8 ft. for a few bucks. Works great on foam and takes paint well as TFM 70 says. There are different brands of document film at Staples but havn't tried them.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2