Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
638 Posts
Question
Bird of Time Wing Joiners

Question for you Bird of Time (BOT) ARF builders/flyers;

I would like to know if the new, longer, BOT ARF wing joiners (12 inch) are that much better than the older, shorter BOT ARF (6 inch) wing joiners?

Reason being, I am considering purchasing a used ARF BOT that I want to install spoilers and convert to electric power. I am thinking that since I will need to remove part of the wing covering to install the spoilers, I might as well uncover the entire wing, repair the damage, and recover in a color that I choose. My only thought is are the older, smaller wing joiners sound or should I just go ahead and purchase a new ARF model with the longer joiners?

Some experienced feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jordonr
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr View Post
Question for you Bird of Time (BOT) ARF builders/flyers;

I would like to know if the new, longer, BOT ARF wing joiners (12 inch) are that much better than the older, shorter BOT ARF (6 inch) wing joiners?

Reason being, I am considering purchasing a used ARF BOT that I want to install spoilers and convert to electric power. I am thinking that since I will need to remove part of the wing covering to install the spoilers, I might as well uncover the entire wing, repair the damage, and recover in a color that I choose. My only thought is are the older, smaller wing joiners sound or should I just go ahead and purchase a new ARF model with the longer joiners?

Some experienced feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jordonr
Some info.
I have the newest ARF and the current spar is made from two pieces of 3mm aluminum plate with two wood filler strips sandwiched between. It appears to be very strong and I doubt that it would bend. How much stronger it would be than an older design would depend on exactly where the older wings were failing.

If you go with a new kit be aware that the wood fillers are two slightly different thicknesses to arrive at the correct total spar thickness so make sure each spar has one of each thickness. Don't ask how I found that out.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
638 Posts
Thanks Gary, good to know.
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr