HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mandevil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Discussion
Weekend flying

On Saturday I did some powered flying, mostly training catching the plane on landing (with not that much success). I discovered quite strong tendency of the plane to turn to left with high throttle. Nothing unmanageable, but fairly noticeable. The wings have tendency to unlock on harder landings and also catching the plane by wing is not good thing to do, but the wings seem to hold well during flight.

On Sunday the wind seemed to be quite strong, so we went to a nearby slope. Even if the wind direction wasn't optimal, there was lot of lift there and it was fun soaring for about 20 minutes. Then the wind picked up enough that I started to have problems staying on the upwind side and also worried about the integrity of the plane as I saw it being buffeted by strong gusts. Fortunately I managed a perfect landing by snatching the plane from air in mid-flight. Quite a stress test, but a successful one.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
Last edited by mandevil; Mar 14, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
Don't know if you want advice or not, but turning to the left with high throttle is part having a power system. It is best countered with opposite rudder, but you can usually minimize its effect by tweaking your thrust line. If you go to an airport and look at the planes parked there and look real close you can see the engines are turned to the right a noticeable amount and down a noticeable amount too.

Happy landings!
Nik
nikolaus_c is offline Find More Posts by nikolaus_c
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaus_c View Post
Don't know if you want advice or not, but turning to the left with high throttle is part having a power system. It is best countered with opposite rudder, but you can usually minimize its effect by tweaking your thrust line. If you go to an airport and look at the planes parked there and look real close you can see the engines are turned to the right a noticeable amount and down a noticeable amount too.
My plane has the propeller axis offset down and left, but perhaps the motor is too powerful (it's more powerful than the stock motor).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
If its a puller you want it offset to the right... and if it has gobs of extra power then yeah you're just going to have to compensate while flying (or be content to watch it veer to the left).

Cheers
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaus_c View Post
If its a puller you want it offset to the right... and if it has gobs of extra power then yeah you're just going to have to compensate while flying (or be content to watch it veer to the left).
It's a pusher. I might eventually experiment with mixing some rudder into throttle.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
I've done that