HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Feb 2012
12 Posts
Discussion
question from a noob

Short version- can a spektrum dx6i radio be used for both helis and planes? And what is a cheap, amateur friendly plane that can bind to the dx6i?

Long version- been flying helis for about 3 months now, i can stable hover my mcpx in all orientations now, and i've been into rc cars for some time now. And now im interested in the other facets of the rc hobby, im going to buy a dx6i for my helis later this week, i've heard it can be used for planes and helis, is this true? What would be a decent ~$100 plane i can bind to the dx6i? (I would assume there is an equivalent of the orange rx anywho)

Funny story-i went to buy an rc boat from my lhs, the clerk tells me i might need a boat myself to recover it incase of a battery failure or something. Me being brilliant, i borrow my inlaws truck and buy a cheap kayak from walmart(yea they have them there lol) i get it home and remember that my soft top convertable wont hold a kayak very well...

Cheers and thanks for any info!
evilpenquin is offline Find More Posts by evilpenquin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:11 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Greve Strand
Joined Oct 2008
83 Posts
Hi Evilpenquin
The short answer is YES it can be used both to planes and helis
I will recomend you buy a foam plane with the wings on top (bixler, hawksky,axn)
If i were you i would go for the orange RX, it is just as relieble as the original RX from spektrum to a fraction of the price (i have been flying the dx6i with the orange RX for over a year without problems)
Damn with the kayak But think big, Use the heli to recover the boat if you make a "titanic"
Hope this helps

Regards Jan
might is offline Find More Posts by might
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Virtualy all BNF planes from Parkzone and E-flite will come with spectrum recievers and bind perfect to your DX6i
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2011
155 Posts
You may also want to check out the TxR stuff from Tower. They have a few micros that are well under $100. I think they are still including a free AnyLink system with purchase of one. The system works great with my Dx6i, and it will open you up to the possibility of some other nice larger planes (Corvalis, Sensei, etc) when you are ready.
lcm1977 is offline Find More Posts by lcm1977
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,753 Posts
Sounds like the RC bug really has got hold of you just like it has most of us RC nuts.

I'd say go for a ANX floater/jet or the Bixler or that sort of plane as they are both foam and good flying planes,the ANX has a very big following and if you go over to Youtube and type in ANX floater you will see loads of good videos on this and the Bixler if you look for them.

You can also get the orange RX R610 that will work just fine with the DX6i,i know because i have about 7 of them in my warbirds and they all work just fine and the range is just as good if not better than the Spektrum AR500 IMHO,oh thats with and with out the orange Rx R100 Satellite Receiver which you can buy for the R610.

You can get the planes and the orange receivers/satellite from Hobbyking.com plus anything else you will need for the RC hobby,like for your cars,heli's,boats and planes,quads well you get the idea,i use this online hobby store for about 99% of the stuff i need for my RC flying gear.

Good luck and i hope you find the plane your looking for no matter where you bye it form as i'm sure you will enjoy it just like the rest of your RC stuff,i will say i've tried RC cars,helicopters and boats and nothing gives be a better buzz than what i get from the RC planes,that could be just me though.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
i will say i've tried RC cars,helicopters and boats and nothing gives be a better buzz than what i get from the RC planes,that could be just me though.
It's not just you
lcm1977 is offline Find More Posts by lcm1977
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
12 Posts
great to hear it's so easy to get started! The rc hobbies are great fun! im married and working full time while my wife and i go to school, so even with a tight budget you can manage some nice things. Of course the larger ones go up in price, but thats fine since by the time i finish school both my budget and my skills will improve to fit that. I'm also lucky enough to have a wife that goes along with the hobby in a way, she doesnt fly or drive, but she is pretty into the scale detail models, so i get her to paint my car bodies and she helps me assemble kits. (which also works out great since we can share tools)

I'm looking forward to my first fixed wing flight! even the first fixed wing crash will be fine, i love fixing these things.
evilpenquin is offline Find More Posts by evilpenquin