HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by stevster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:58 PM
Eternal Child
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Trader Rating: 281
Wanted
*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Hi fellow modelers. I need some help aquiring some models and supplies for a unbelievable senior center project, that I visited today.

Please read the attached NBC story and watch the short video that I have attached, and it will pretty much explain the man & place that I visited, and what a inspiration he is to his fellow hobbiest residents (and me)!

http://www.atriaseniorliving.com/Pre...D=17&PageID=57

Think about where you'll be in your 80's and this should touch your heart. I met Al, first hand today, and he gave me a new meaning to the word....."CAN'T" He can only see with peripheral vision, and uses an electronic, digital enlarger to build projects with.

Watching these guys build stuff, was like watching model builders in the past, acting like kids, adding years to, and enjoyment to their lives. I donated loads of balsa sheet & sticks, building supplies, and hardware. I had a few kits, but didn't really have the best selection (1/4 scale stuff isn't really gonna work out)! You know, all of that stuff you keep, but know that you'll never really need!

From what I observed, it would be great to donate any stick & tissue kits (Gillows type), small airplane kits (gas is fine...they just convert them to electric), small electrics, batteries, motors, controllers, boat kits under 30", sail boat kits would be great....they take them to the park and race them!, any HO Railroad items (their building a model RR in a corner of the "Man Cave", plastic model kits, any building supplies, etc. They also built r/c windsailers, that they "race" in the parking lot!!!

If you would like to donate anything, just email me at: stevster@ca.rr.com
You can ship to me, and I will hand deliver, and tell them who the donater is (or not)
If you would like to donate to the senior center direct, I'll steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for your time. My (your) time will be there someday also.

Steve Schooler
Cypress, Ca.
714-614-2890

Inventor Al Ladine, 83, examines one of his airplane models in the "man cave" at the Atria Woodbridge senior living community in Irvine. Ladine and his friends were building models in a small arts and crafts room at Atria Woodbridge but the women complained about the glue fumes and the sawdust so the management found a large room for him and residents to continue building radio-controlled boats, planes, land-yachts, even a solar-powered robot named Morty.
stevster is offline Find More Posts by stevster
Last edited by stevster; Mar 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Trader Rating: 57
Great post!
bigbookfrank is online now Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
I have worked at the Atria Narrows Glen in Tacoma Washington in the past, and this looks really great!

Can people use this as a tax write-off?

How can people avoid sending things that cannot be used, and to know what can and cannot be used? I suppose just email you with the items?

Thanks
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,207 Posts
Trader Rating: 88
good post! and am sure the older folks would stay busy with something to do like building models......wish I had something to donate
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Thank you lectroglide for your kind words. Wishing you could donate, means a lot, also.
Thanks, Steve
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:55 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,033 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
Stevster; Do you have a Hobby Lobby craft store there? Maybe a gift certificate would help. Just thinking (getting harder at 72) but I am still active in RC as is my wife. Indoor fly in tonite. Roy n Sandy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
Stevster; Do you have a Hobby Lobby craft store there? Maybe a gift certificate would help. Just thinking (getting harder at 72) but I am still active in RC as is my wife. Indoor fly in tonite. Roy n Sandy
Hi, Roy & Sandy

Yes, I just checked, and there is a Hobby Lobby approx. 10 miles from the senior center. A Gift Certificate would be wonderfull.
Send to:
Atria Woodbridge
1 Witherspoon
Irvine, Ca. 92604
Attn: Carole Bush/Man Cave

Thank you guys so much,

Steve
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
Trader Rating: 98
Wow that is a great project..I am an 83 year old rc modeler myself. Still flying planes and helis. and loving it..I always tell people that modeling keeps my mine active and my hands nimble, it is good therapy. Those guys are great , more power to them..
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
Sailing the sky...and ground
United States, MD, Bel Air South
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Great idea!

I hope this idea catches on...a fantastic idea!

I know a "former" modeler and RC Glider flyer living in a senior center nearby. I'm going to check with him first to see if there's any interest locally. If not (or either way) I'll scrounge around and see what I can come up with. Off-hand I know I have have a big Tamiya? WW2 Tiger tank model looking for someone with time and patience that I don't have in my busy life right now...Let me know if anyone there might want to build it. All I want is a picture when complete!

Thanks,

Ray
RCPirate is offline Find More Posts by RCPirate
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Hi, Ray.

What a great project that Tamiya tank would be! Al is a mechanical engineer, and I know the engineering that Tamiya put into their tanks, and he would love to make it work. I plan on updating this thread as often as I can, and I promise I'll gets some pictures & an update on it, as it progresses. PM me at my personal email @ stevster@c.rr.com & let me know, and I'll send you the details on where to send it.

Thank you very much,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPirate View Post
I hope this idea catches on...a fantastic idea!

I know a "former" modeler and RC Glider flyer living in a senior center nearby. I'm going to check with him first to see if there's any interest locally. If not (or either way) I'll scrounge around and see what I can come up with. Off-hand I know I have have a big Tamiya? WW2 Tiger tank model looking for someone with time and patience that I don't have in my busy life right now...Let me know if anyone there might want to build it. All I want is a picture when complete!

Thanks,

Ray
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
And power to you too Flyboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy70 View Post
Wow that is a great project..I am an 83 year old rc modeler myself. Still flying planes and helis. and loving it..I always tell people that modeling keeps my mine active and my hands nimble, it is good therapy. Those guys are great , more power to them..
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:24 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Email sent! Hopefully there is a way I can get involved! (not requiring money because I am a poor in debt college grad!!)
davidvm3 is offline Find More Posts by davidvm3
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Hi, David
Thank you so much for your interest & support.
I will call you later on today.
Thanks,

Steve
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Hi Steve,
I think the concept of helping others is a great one, and there is value to assisting the eldery with this hobby. building and flying helps keep folks active and helps keep their vision and hand eye coordination in check. I'm just wondering if this facility need donations? It appears to be a somewhat affluent living facility. Are there any other homes that don't have the economic strength/capabilities that this one has? Better yet, are there any Boys/Girls clubs, Cub Scouts or Boy Scout clubs that would benefit from this?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:21 PM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Hi.
No. This senior center doesn't need donations.....money wise. You have a bunch of "new to the hobby" 80 year olds, that are very excited to be participating in modeling for the very first time. Yes, most could afford any of these projects, but would have no idea where to go, (if they were allowed to drive) plus the fact, that there's really no LHS to even go to anymore.

Yes. They "could use donations". That's my whole reason for doing this. I'm trying to keep them busy, with no other distractions....they have enough of them just being in their 80's

I believe that providing anybody, anywhere, in any financial situation, with the chance to create...............is a worthy cause.

Steve