SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by stevster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Eternal Child
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Trader Rating: 316
Wanted
*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Hi fellow modelers. I need some help aquiring some models and supplies for a unbelievable senior center project, that I visited today.

Please read the attacthed NBC story and watch the short video that I have attached, and it will pretty much explain the man & place that I visited, and what a inspiration he is to his fellow hobbiest residents (and me)!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...135625303.html

Think about where you'll be in your 80's and this should touch your heart. I met Al, first hand today, and he gave me a new meaning to the word....."CAN'T" He can only see with peripheral vision, and uses an electronic, digital enlarger to build projects with.

Watching these guys build stuff, was like watching model builders in the past, acting like kids, adding years to, and enjoyment to their lives. I donated loads of balsa sheet & sticks, building supplies, and hardware. I had a few kits, but didn't really have the best selection (1/4 scale stuff isn't really gonna work out)! You know, all of that stuff you keep, but know that you'll never really need!

From what I observed, it would be great to donate any stick & tissue kits (Gillows type), small airplane kits (gas is fine...they just convert them to electric), small electrics, batteries, motors, controllers, boat kits under 30", sail boat kits would be great....they take them to the park and race them!, any HO Railroad items (their building a model RR in a corner of the "Man Cave", plastic model kits, any building supplies, etc. They also built r/c windsailers, that they "race" in the parking lot!!!

If you would like to donate anything, just email me at: stevster@ca.rr.com
You can ship to me, and I will hand deliver, and tell them who the donater is (or not)
If you would like to donate to the senior center direct, I'll steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for your time. My (your) time will be there someday also.

Steve Schooler
Cypress, Ca.
714-614-2890

Inventor Al Ladine, 83, examines one of his airplane models in the "man cave" at the Atria Woodbridge senior living community in Irvine. Ladine and his friends were building models in a small arts and crafts room at Atria Woodbridge but the women complained about the glue fumes and the sawdust so the management found a large room for him and residents to continue building radio-controlled boats, planes, land-yachts, even a solar-powered robot named Morty.
stevster is offline Find More Posts by stevster
Last edited by stevster; Mar 14, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
USA, AL, Gadsden
Joined Mar 2008
473 Posts
Trader Rating: 247
This is so awesome, I PRAY BLESSINGS on you for doing this and getting this out there in front of people.....

Their minds have to be improving, this has got to be much better for them instead of just sitting in their rooms starring at four walls........this is what giving back to the community is all about,

KUDOS TO YOU my friend....this is awesome.

TODD
mechengineer03 is offline Find More Posts by mechengineer03
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Thanks, Todd
I watched my father dwindle away, because he had no interests or hobbies.
I hated seeing that, but was so inspired by watching these guys.
I wish my father was still around, to put a bottle of CA in one hand,
and a model in the other. He would have died a happy man instead!
Steve
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
876 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
ill check what i have that its in good cond and i dont use anymore.Great gesture from you and a great opportunity to be usefull and help the elders.
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Nov 2011
24 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
This is awesome can you send me a list off the supply's I don't build much so don't know what they need but with list I can go to LHS and get some stuff to donate thanks we need more people like you they are the men that kept the hobby going for us to enjoy today thanks again. Junior NJ
Angry Bird is offline Find More Posts by Angry Bird
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Great idea, and it makes you wonder why more senior centers are not doing this stuff.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Thanks, karfrik
It very inspiring to see this effort in person, especially meeting with Al. Thank you very much for you consideration.

Steve
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Hi, Angry Bird

Thank you very much. The most needed items from a LHS would be glues. Now that more seniors have gotten involved, they all need bottles of glue, instead of just a couple of builders, as before. CA's, epoxy and "Titebond" types, would be great, or for that matter, anything that involves consumable hobby supplies. Thank you very much for your consideration. You can email me direct @
stevster@ca.rr.com
and I'll direct you where to send donations. I'll try to keep an updated story of the "Man Cave" effort, here on RCG.
Thanks again,
Steve
Last edited by stevster; Mar 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
Being disabled myself I have a lot of time on my hands and the rc hobby makes dealing with health isuses etc so much more relaxing I'll see what I can dig up I am sure I could cough up some glues, tools, other misc and maybe a wood kit or two!!

Awesome thing you are dong here for these guys and gals!!
Monstermanhbf is offline Find More Posts by Monstermanhbf
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:23 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Hi, Monstermanhbf

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, doing this for them, is really very rewarding for me. Gives me a whole new meaning of what this hobby is really all about.
Anything that you feel like donating, will be welcomed greatly. Consumables like glues, are a perfect thing to send them. The get a $50.00 "allowance" each month for supplies, and I think we both know, that won't go very far anymore in a LHS!

PM me at: stevster@ca.rr.com and I'll help direct you where to send any items.
Thank you very much,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermanhbf View Post
Being disabled myself I have a lot of time on my hands and the rc hobby makes dealing with health isuses etc so much more relaxing I'll see what I can dig up I am sure I could cough up some glues, tools, other misc and maybe a wood kit or two!!

Awesome thing you are dong here for these guys and gals!!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
20Q
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2007
106 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
This really is a great thing you are doing!
20Q is online now Find More Posts by 20Q
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:48 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Thank you.
This needs to be done at all senior centers.
It gives them something to look forward to every
morning. Just like a true modeler!!!!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
I can dig up a fair amount of plastic model kits that should be enjoyed by these folks, Ill be in touch. I think this is a great thing you are doing by the way.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Mendo PM'd
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
500 Posts
Trader Rating: 74
I found some HO shrubs and trees in a plastic bucket.will send next week,will look for more...need address...mark
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked