Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Eternal Child
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Trader Rating: 316
Help!
*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Hi fellow modelers. I need some help aquiring some models and supplies for a unbelievable senior center project, that I visited today.

Please read the attacthed NBC story and watch the short video that I have attached, and it will pretty much explain the man & place that I visited, and what a inspiration he is to his fellow hobbiest residents (and me)!

http://www.atriaseniorliving.com/Pre...D=17&PageID=57

Think about where you'll be in your 80's and this should touch your heart. I met Al, first hand today, and he gave me a new meaning to the word....."CAN'T" He can only see with peripheral vision, and uses an electronic, digital enlarger to build projects with.

Watching these guys build stuff, was like watching model builders in the past, acting like kids, adding years to, and enjoyment to their lives. I donated loads of balsa sheet & sticks, building supplies, and hardware. I had a few kits, but didn't really have the best selection (1/4 scale stuff isn't really gonna work out)! You know, all of that stuff you keep, but know that you'll never really need!

From what I observed, it would be great to donate any stick & tissue kits (Gillows type), small airplane kits (gas is fine...they just convert them to electric), small electrics, batteries, motors, controllers, boat kits under 30", sail boat kits would be great....they take them to the park and race them!, any HO Railroad items (their building a model RR in a corner of the "Man Cave", plastic model kits, any building supplies, etc. They also built r/c windsailers, that they "race" in the parking lot!!!

If you would like to donate anything, just email me at: stevster@ca.rr.com
You can ship to me, and I will hand deliver, and tell them who the donater is (or not)
If you would like to donate to the senior center direct, I'll steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for your time. My (your) time will be there someday also.

Steve Schooler
Cypress, Ca.
714-614-2890

Inventor Al Ladine, 83, examines one of his airplane models in the "man cave" at the Atria Woodbridge senior living community in Irvine. Ladine and his friends were building models in a small arts and crafts room at Atria Woodbridge but the women complained about the glue fumes and the sawdust so the management found a large room for him and residents to continue building radio-controlled boats, planes, land-yachts, even a solar-powered robot named Morty.
stevster is online now Find More Posts by stevster
Last edited by stevster; Mar 13, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
Truly a great story, I pretty much recycle everything I have spare into another project, but of I can find anything when i get home I'll pm you for more info.
Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Thanks, Garrett, they will really appreciate it!
Steve
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Just an update on the "senior project".
I can't believe how many responces I have received on this effort.
Most have responded on the boat, electric, & fuel kits threads I posted, with
lots of great donations. For this, I thank you very much. This will touch
the hearts of so many seniors, who now feel they have something to
live for. I'll post some pictures when I go back, and update this thread
on the "Man Cave" effort.
Thank you,

Steve
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
Brown City MI
Joined Jul 2008
51 Posts
Trader Rating: 53
Stuff To Donate!!!

Hey Stevester I have a few things to donate I'll PM u with What I got n U tell me if they Need it!!!!Thanks Les
cherry629 is offline Find More Posts by cherry629
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:49 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Thank you Les. They will certainly appreciate anything that you could supply them. I look forward to your list.

Steve
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:06 AM
Eternal Child
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Here's an article from the Orange County Register about Al.
If you would like to be really inspired, or think you just can't
do some things.......you really need to read this!

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/l...says-room.html

Steve
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:59 AM
Site Moderator
Joined Oct 2011
133 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
cross-posted too many times, and in the wrong section. Closing the thread.
KrisM is offline Find More Posts by KrisM
Administrator
Closed Thread