HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
Discussion
sig? kadet sr rebuild

picked this up for $25 along with a few boxes of r/c related stuff at a storage unit sale. it appeared to be fairly old and having been crashed at least once. from what i can find, it appears to be a sig kadet sr. wingspan is 78". i didnt think to get any before-pics, so here it is stripped and ready for a re-build.
i am in need of some pics of the nose cowl, side windows and help with deciding a color. im planning on totally sheeting the entire plane and using an os 40.
ideas and suggestions are welcome and i will update this as i get stuff done.
thanks all!

sweatybetty is offline Find More Posts by sweatybetty
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:09 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
that is indeed a Kadet Senior. I had one as my first plane. its a wonderful flier but its going to be kind of a dog with a .40. it will "fly" with that engine but thats about it. a 70-80 four stroke would be perfect. I wouldnt sheet the whole plane though. if its built properly its strong enough as it is.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
Geetar, ive already started the sheeting. i re-glued the entire plane and it is still kind of flimsy feeling, so... it appears to have been rebuilt before, kind of scabbed together.
another question, im thinking of adding ailerons. if i do, how much, as a percentage of each half of the wing would be right?
thanks to all
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,184 Posts
I am in the process of refurbishing my old Sig Kadett Senior too. It was way overpowered with the old OS .60 open rocker 4 stroke engine on it. I am planning on running a old Drone .29 diesel in it next.

Here is some pics I took after pulling it back out of storage. My plane has a balsa cowl on the front that required a lot of carving and sanding into the shape. The newer ones have a plastic cowl on them.

I think the sheeting would just add more weight to it. They tended to fly nice and slow, more l like a glider does.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
997 Posts
Sig Kadet Senior

First: your plane looks like a modified ARF or kit; too many ribs between the the leading edge and first spar, the circular windows may have been added, and there are no rubber band dowels (kit only) for the wing hold-down.

In terms of what you have, the only sheeting you need to be true to the kit of ARF is the top of the nose. And if you want, I can email you a copy of the balsa nose pieces needed to complete the kit version.

I'm building my third Senior. The first was stolen. The second was the victim of a trainer cord being unplugged during a club training flight. For what ever reason , I am building #3 "old school"; silk and lacquer. I will be powering it with a SuperTigre .40 2s. Number two which had a .61 was a pain in the tush as there was too much trim differential between part and full throttle.Your OS40 (LA a guess) will be more than sufficient.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Last edited by jjkupinski; Mar 14, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski View Post
And if you want, I can email you a copy of the balsa nose pieces needed to complete the kit version.
thank you!that would be great. pm with addy sent.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I agree on the engine, don't saddle it with any type of 40, it will fly but be very lazy. I have an ASP 80 4 stroke on my Sr. and it can fly in 15-20 mph wind effortlessly. I had a Sr. with an OS 40, hated the thing.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski View Post
First: your plane looks like a modified ARF or kit; too many ribs between the the leading edge and first spar, the circular windows may have been added, and there are no rubber band dowels (kit only) for the wing hold-down.

In terms of what you have, the only sheeting you need to be true to the kit of ARF is the top of the nose. And if you want, I can email you a copy of the balsa nose pieces needed to complete the kit version.

I'm building my third Senior. The first was stolen. The second was the victim of a trainer cord being unplugged during a club training flight. For what ever reason , I am building #3 "old school"; silk and lacquer. I will be powering it with a SuperTigre .40 2s. Number two which had a .61 was a pain in the tush as there was too much trim differential between part and full throttle.Your OS40 (LA a guess) will be more than sufficient.
How did your plane get stolen?
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
We had one which flew with an old Fox .25 Took forever to get off, but flew well.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:20 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
997 Posts
The S.O.B.'s were able to bend the aluminum rear window frame on my camper shell without breaking the glass. Where I temporarily parked my truck, I could not see it from my workshop. It took them about seven minutes to open the truck, take two planes and a field box, and disappear without making any loud noises. I took my fuel and transmitter out first and was taking them to the workshop when they stuck.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:07 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,777 Posts
Kadet sr

I had the same combo like Earl and the OS FS60 was really overpowering and made the plane fly way too fast, that's my experience
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I had the same combo like Earl and the OS FS60 was really overpowering and made the plane fly way too fast, that's my experience
I like the takeoff power of the 80 4 stroke, then I can throttle it way back and just glide around. The extra power is great to have in winds over 15mph.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Ailerons? The pic is of a kit wing modified using the ARF aileron structure.

I have had conversations with Bob Nelson (SIG tech guru) when I built mine. He said that most use a simple strip aileron similar to the 4Star60 approach. Like the 4Star the Sr. has a flat bottom constant cord wing - so the approach used by the 4Star makes sense. The 4Star aileron is a tapered strip from the flat wing tip to 1/4" from the fuse side. At the aileron tip it measures 1 1/4" and at the root 2 1/4".

The 2nd pic is of the 4Star's wing structure.

HTH
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
thanks to you all for the replies please keep them coming.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
made a little progress this last weekend. got a new 16oz fuel tank installed (with room to spare ) engine mounted, servo trays installed and nose cowling built (big thanks to jjkupinski!) and sealed on the inside including a drain. need to get a muffler extension to clear the side of the cowl though. thanks to you all for the help, pics and tips.