Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:52 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,605 Posts
Im not sure that all those parts will be as bad as been made out

Build of the boat itself...... but who am I to say my first attempts were worse

I used that exact motor in a springer, The exact same battery in a plane though I made my own prop-shaft and used a 40 mm brass prop.

I think the prop that comes with the shaft is wrong for what you want, but it will work, if its a 4 mm thread on the end a raboesch brass prop will screw straight on. The design of the shaft is similar to how I've been making my brushless shafts, no need for separate engine mounts.

Plenty of members in my club use that radio with zero issues.

My only slight hesitation would be with the charger but the reviews seem O.K. and I've never used that paticular servo.

Jim/ BOZINATOR I would really like you to justify what you said about the choices, I feel slightly offended you think so poorly of my thoughts

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:44 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
That is funny nick I can't help you with your self esteem because I am not that kind of doctor. A broken bone I could help you with, but not a bruised ego.
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,605 Posts
No bruised egos or self esteem issues on my part, just wondering why you think they are no good? have you had personal experience with the specified equipment? I dont see you offering any alternatives

Will the parts work together, Yes, are they the perfect setup, probably not but opinions are like backsides, everyone got one

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
OK
No boat specifications + wild ass guess on power setup = who knows

I was always good at math
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Well, I had to finish the boat... I couldn't throw it out or leave it sitting on the shelf.

There was lots of praying, but it floats and has no leaks at all. I took it on it's first run in November. It doesn't look nearly as good as I thought it would, but I'm happy.

Oscar
Oscarfish48 is offline Find More Posts by Oscarfish48
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it
Cambridge
Joined Aug 2004
433 Posts
looks like it might need a bit of ballast to trim it out to sit on the correct waterline. But looks fine for first attempt. bit of added details and paint etc.
thething84 is offline Find More Posts by thething84
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:54 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Yeah, I will have to move some batteries around to ballance it. It has paint on the areas that touch the water but I'm afraid to paint the deck and cabin because my painting is really bad (as you can probably tell from the picture). I might try and make some lobster traps to put on the deck later.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:59 PM
Cambridge
Joined Aug 2004
433 Posts
how do you apply paint??? do you plan on filling and sanding the hull smooth. Alot of painting is in the prep before hand. Filling, sanding filling some more, sanding some more, apply coat of paint and sand again. etc etc. you get the idea.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
I was painting in thick layers without sanding because I thought it would wreck it.
I would love to smooth out the hull. I will certainly use the steps you gave when the weather warms up. Thank you very much.

Oscar
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:44 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarfish48 View Post
I was painting in thick layers without sanding because I thought it would wreck it.
I would love to smooth out the hull. I will certainly use the steps you gave when the weather warms up. Thank you very much.

Oscar
Sanding can be done gently, doesn't need you to use your full strength. Don't be in a hurry. When its time to paint, good brushes help a lot. They are a worthwhile investment, properly looked after. Thin coats, sanded between, like thething84 said, and a wipe down between sanding and painting, saves having those little bits of random lumpiness. The secret is practice, then more practice, learning from mistakes.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:22 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Ohhh... I see. I tried sanding once in the beginning, trying to get it done fast and I just ended up wrecking it. I also have been painting with cheap foam brushes.

Thank you!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
This is a great post! I'm in the process of making a semi scale tug boat which is 18" in length.
Your latest set of parts just might work well for me.
I did a quick addition of your parts list and came up with $86.50 as a total. Not a bad price
considering I could use the transmitter,receiver, and esc on a later boat.
Let us know what boat you'll be building next. And once again, thanks to all for the ideas.
don_s is offline Find More Posts by don_s
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
OH! I fogot to mention, I didn't end up using the parts I listed. I didn't want to go through the currency conversions, border customs and other garbage so I personally can't say anything about if they would or wouldn't work.
I'm very sorry. Best wishes with your boat

As for my next boat, I've been thinking about a paddlewheeler... Maybe even steam powered. I've always liked steam engines.
Last edited by Oscarfish48; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:47 PM
Cambridge
Joined Aug 2004
433 Posts
just another thing. your thought about using filler?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
I tried using fiberglass resin as a filler. It plugged a lot of the holes between the tounge depressors but I think it was the culprit for a lot of my bumpy painting. Are there products specifically for filling?