SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
569 Posts
Discussion
should i send it for service?

Hi guys i was flying my beast 3d outside (it was cold!) with the stock batterys (they suck big time compared with other brands) and all of the sudden the motor stops but all the other surfaces where ok (ail, elev rud) so i was able to do a somewhat controlled crash. (when i chk the battery it still had 74% of charge left)
so my guess is that the cold weather made difficult to provide enough juice and the ESC hit LVC
Well i called HH and was told by the customer Serv representative to send the plane for inspection. i ask him if i should send the battery too but he said no!

My concern is that im the one paying for shipping charges and besides that crash my plane flys and perform good after i fixed the nose and wings and warmer weather. So what happens if they chk the plane and determine everything is ok and ship me back my physically damage plane.

Dont want to spend money shipping the plane for me getting the same broken plane

heres some pictures showing the damage (battery compartment, front nose, wings struts, and wing damaged on the sides)

should i keep it (i already have an extra set of wings) or should i send it back what do you guys consider??
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
I tried my small 300 mAh lipo batteries with my indoor plane outside in -5 degrees celsius. They usually last well over 5 minutes, now the flight time was below 2 minutes if the battery was warm when I started. If they where cold the plane lost power almost instantly. When I recharged them later at home they where not even half discharged, I don't remember the exact amount.
I believe based on this experience that some small lipos are sensitive for low temperatures. My 500 mAh works much better even if they also get weaker by cold weather.

So my advice is that you should try it when it is warmer before you send the plane.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Last edited by Stark; Mar 12, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Put the beast and lipo in the freezer for an hour, fire it up and run it full throttle and see what happens, if the motor shuts off in less than 3 minutes send it back.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
569 Posts
thxs for your answers guys.
slow-fly ill chk what you say, but whats gonna prove is that the eflight battery is weak on cold weather but whenever HH try it (back in their offices) my guess is that it will be ok and theyll send me the crashed plane back.
Remember that according to them i cant send the lipo battery back (in my opinion the culprit) so probly they wont be able to reproduce my findings.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
If you can replicate the problem by putting it in the freezer, tell hh they need to do the same. Hopefully your beast won't get stolen by a hh employee looking to microwave a frozen dinner for lunch lol!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
569 Posts
lol