HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2001, 09:37 AM
Triad of Fun
Little Rock, AR Triad: Windy, ECO 8 and E3D
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Any tips on building my new Vortex CC?

I've seen the ezone review and read through some posts but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the following:

- should I cut the ailerons loose and do the aluminum tube LE mod?
- which servos to use?
- suggestions for adding rudder?
- should I use music wire for the antenna?

I've got a couple of motors to try in it. My 1015/2Y and a 6x6 prop should push it over 100mph on 10 cells. My 805P (3 turn) should turn a 10x8 prop and give it unlimited vertical. Should be fun to try different things.

Thanks for any input guys.
WilliamSettle is offline Find More Posts by WilliamSettle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2001, 10:05 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Flight Report, Please

William, please let us know how your Vortex performs when you've got it flight-ready. Personally, I think it's an awesome-looking ship!

Brian Nixon
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Nov 03, 2001, 10:20 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I think the aluminum LE on the ailerons is a must. I don't think it needs a rudder - this is a go-fast ship, although some have tried and it works ok, just not what it was designed for.. Direct drive high speed is the way to go, but again, someone here put a geared motor into a Twister for unlimited vertical. Again, not designed for it, but still fun - sort of a mini-F5b? Music wire antenna is probably a good idea..
Mine has carbon layed up on the lower wing skin (for stiffness) and is covered in silkspan as per Jeff's review. Silk-smooth finish, I don't know if I even want to paint it, it's so pretty! I glassed the tips and the outboard sections of the LE. completely Glassed the tail, also - with the same poly-u - and have the glass hinge for the elevator (although I'll be adding mylar tape here). The only trouble I'm having is the ailerons - how to hinge with the aluminum LE - I don't want to use tape above the tube's center point, but I don't want to use hinge-points either.. stumped.
Mine will get a 1406/2 for the test flights - as per the review - but with 8xCp1300 cells most likely. It will then upgraded to the 1409/1Y F5D motor I picked up - I've been told to expect 5000kV from this sucker - on 7 cells and a 5x5, that's 175mph pitch speed.. won't go that fast, I'm sure, but it's likely to be fun!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 04, 2001, 08:45 AM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Wow, 175 mph would be awesome! I'll be happy if mine pulls 100mph on the flat and level.

I'm the one that geared a Twister and I'm still flying it. I think I like it better that my direct drive one. Of course I'll try the Vortex geared at some point but I'll fly it direct drive for a while first.

What did you do for cooling holes for the motor?

I rebuilt the tail feathers for my Twister using the silk span and polyurethane SS and it works very well. However, seeing the glassed balsa tail feather on the Vortex CC makes me want to try some vacumn bagging. It doesn't sound too difficult to do and really adds the strength for very little weight.

I think I'm going to use 241's like Jeff or some HS-55's. It seems HS-81's are way overkill.
Old Nov 04, 2001, 10:09 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I plan on an HS85BB for the ailerons, and an HS60 or similar for elevator..
..a
Old Nov 06, 2001, 10:08 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,462 Posts
Andy,

The only trouble I'm having is the ailerons - how to hinge with the aluminum LE - I don't want to use tape above the tube's center point, but I don't want to use hinge-points either.. stumped.

Not sure if I am on track here, but I have a neat system for this. Cut the ailerons loose (foam wing? I hope). Then, glue the aluminum tube so the front of the tube is under & behind the top hinge line. That is the top sheeting protrudes past the tube. The little gap left above the tube on the aileron can be filled with epoxy and micro-balloons / cabosol.

Here is a drawing, let me know if you want a picture.

wing...... Aileron
---------- .. -----------------
--------- .........-------------

Well, the O (tube) is bigger and a 1/2 round is sanded into the wing for the tube to recess into on down aileron.

Follow?

Dave

Email daveairway@jps.net if you want a pix.
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Last edited by Daveairway; Nov 06, 2001 at 10:18 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2001, 10:20 PM
Torrance, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
94 Posts
Cooling Hole: I placed a scoop on top one inch behind the spinner. The scoop is one inch wide and 3/16" high at it's highest point. I am considering adding two 1/4" holes just before the wing for an outlet. I have a ground based cooling fan and hose for between flight cooling.

Setup: Vortex CC version, HS-85BB on ailerons and elevator, Cirrus CS26BB on the rudder (glued on top of the elevator servo with "Golden-Rod" connection to rudder). 1406-2Y with an L260 controller and 8xRC2400. AUW=41oz. 7x6 Folder. As Andy states, the rudder is largely unnecessary but helps in hammerhead/stall turns and knife edge flight.

Jeff
jparisse is offline Find More Posts by jparisse
Old Nov 24, 2001, 09:08 AM
Indialantic, FL
Joined Dec 2000
420 Posts
Re: Any tips on building my new Vortex CC?

Quote:
Originally posted by WilliamSettle
I've seen the ezone review and read through some posts but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the following:

- should I cut the ailerons loose and do the aluminum tube LE mod?
- which servos to use?
- suggestions for adding rudder?
- should I use music wire for the antenna?

I've got a couple of motors to try in it. My 1015/2Y and a 6x6 prop should push it over 100mph on 10 cells. My 805P (3 turn) should turn a 10x8 prop and give it unlimited vertical. Should be fun to try different things.

Thanks for any input guys.
I use .25in triangle balsa stock. Glue in place with epoxy, sand excess and apply thin CA to the balsa stock.
rafaelABN is offline Find More Posts by rafaelABN
Old Nov 24, 2001, 10:29 AM
My dremel tool has no fear
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
344 Posts
I built my Vortex before the ezone review and I didn't know about the aluminum tube trick. I did think the ailerons were too flimsy so I just glassed them top and botttom. This really stiffened them up and lets you hinge them with ca hinges per the instructions
I'm flying mine on an Astro FAI 035 with a CAM 5.5x5.5 on 7 2400's at about 45 amps. I have a 1010/2y so I'm going to try that on the same prop and cells
Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mark
Old Nov 24, 2001, 05:56 PM
Indialantic, FL
Joined Dec 2000
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I built my Vortex before the ezone review and I didn't know about the aluminum tube trick. I did think the ailerons were too flimsy so I just glassed them top and botttom. This really stiffened them up and lets you hinge them with ca hinges per the instructions
I'm flying mine on an Astro FAI 035 with a CAM 5.5x5.5 on 7 2400's at about 45 amps. I have a 1010/2y so I'm going to try that on the same prop and cells
Hi Mark; Nice looking Vortex. The KV of the 035 FAI is higher than the 1010/2Y. So your performance is going to decrease but your flight time will increase. It seem that the Vortex is a popular plane. Lets start a rollllll call to see what people are using to power their Vortex. Iím building mine now and using a 1005/2Y W/4.4gb, 7 CP 1700 cells and a 10*10 race propeller.
Old Nov 24, 2001, 10:29 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rafaelABN
Lets start a rollllll call to see what people are using to power their Vortex.
Starting with a 1406/2Y as per the review - 300W or so. Then moving to an F5D-modified 1409/1Y - 500W or so.. expect it to be quick, so my tail surfaces are glassed, by wing is reinforced with carbon, etc..
..a
Old Nov 24, 2001, 11:11 PM
Indialantic, FL
Joined Dec 2000
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W

Starting with a 1406/2Y as per the review - 300W or so. Then moving to an F5D-modified 1409/1Y - 500W or so.. expect it to be quick, so my tail surfaces are glassed, by wing is reinforced with carbon, etc..
..a
Holly S!@# a 1409/1Y. That is scary. What is F5D Modified anyway? Carbon case?
Last edited by rafaelABN; Nov 25, 2001 at 11:33 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 09:13 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Lightened case (cut down with lots of space for air to get thru), and cut down rotor with a kV of 5000 or so, I believe. I think something like 225MPH pitch speed on 7 cells.. I don't expect to fly that fast, but in the mid 100's, I'd hope.. hence the carbon..
..a
Old Nov 25, 2001, 09:45 PM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Andy, have you flown your Vortex yet?

I have to hang my head in shame. I was so anxious to get the Vortex and while waiting on parts and flying other models I got hooked on sport planes. I built a Modeltech Magic and have been flying it and started building my E3D yesterday. Man this hobby is addictive! I've now got 3 models waiting in boxes to be built.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 10:13 PM
Torrance, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
94 Posts
Rudder Addition

Here is a picture of the rudder addition I did on my Vortex CC. I glued a servo (a Cirrus CS-26BB) on top of the elevator servo and connected the servo to the rudder with a "golden rod" connector. One end of the golden rod was mounted to a small plywood arm that I attached to the servo's mounting tab (all other tabs were removed) and the other end was glued to the horizontal stabilizer.

I used two fins to make the VS/Rudder cutting them so the hinge and TE angle was closer to 90 degrees. The surface area of the new VS/Rudder is the same as the fin that comes with the kit. The movement was set at 20 degrees in each direction. The rudder addition added 1.5oz. to the AUW of the plane.

Jeff Parisse
jparisse is offline Find More Posts by jparisse