HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Discussion
PSS - Durafly DH-100 Vampire

I'm looking for my first PSS ship to throw off the edge on my next slope vacation and just stumbled accross HK's sweet looking DH 100. I love the Vampire and was wondering if she might fly as good on the slope as she looks. From what I've read and seen on yt she glides very well....

Has anyone flown one of these on the slope yet?

Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,653 Posts
Well ,I'd say it would fly but performance wont be anything to write home about ,and seeing as its unsupported foam its life expectancy on the slope would be minimal due to the fact you'd need to load it up to make it fly better and there in is the problem, adding extra weight would only make its first landing possibly its last.
Still its worth a shot, saw the video wasn't impressed the thing looked pitch sensitive to blazes ,I'd say the CG was out
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by steve wenban; Mar 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
236 Posts
It would be cool to make glass booms and sheeted wings for it.
slopein scale is offline Find More Posts by slopein scale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:20 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2004
506 Posts
If you want a Vampire thats been designed from the beginning as a sloper and has been proven to fly well you won't go wrong with this one

http://www.ozskunkworx.com/Products.html
oziflyer is offline Find More Posts by oziflyer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,653 Posts
As far as I know the Skunk worx boys have not released the Vampire ,but pretty sure if you wanted one they would make it for you.
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: done
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,829 Posts
Virtually any plane will fly on the slope. Since this is a foam plane and being fairly light the flying speed would be fairly low. The wing airfoil isn't optimum for slope either. However, if performance isn't your first priority and scale looks is what turns you on, this might be the slope plane for you. It certainly is worth trying.

I like the Dynam Grand Cruiser myself. Used as a starting place I can invision using some of the parts to make plugs out of and making a fiberglass fuse and nacelles for it.
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,183 Posts
It faces the same issues as any other twinboomer on the slope, ... Breakage at the boom and the horizontal. They ALL do it.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,858 Posts
It's definitely doable Jenne, but you would really need to do a proper conversion to improve performamce and longevity rather than just putting some gear in it and chucking it off a hill. I have two of these, one will be EDF and one is a spare which I may use for parts or do a PSS conversion on it. Also have a Skunk Works Vamp in the build queue (pic below) - I kinda like Vampires The Skunk Works guys have their tails hanging out with alot of projects on the go at the mo, so there could be a long lead time in them being able to get another Vampire produced.

Another option is to set the Durafly model up as an EDF or Pusher with a folding prop and just ridge soar it like that. Myself and a couple of flying buddies have had a lot of fun flying working EDF ships as PSS ridge soarers. I have a 4S Skyhawk that is fairly heavy, but goes great as a PSS ship. Having back up power comes in handy if you muck up a landing as it gives you "go around" capability which should limit landing damage. You need a fairly big landing area though. Another thing to consider is what is on your slope, as if you have a big smack up, you could damage the Lipo to the point where it explodes resulting in a certain amount of "deforestation" in the local area.

Some of the things I would do to the Durafly Vampire to do a quick PSS conversion would be:
1) Crack the booms open and insert a large CF rod, then close them back up;
2) Open up the seam all the around the fuse and glass it from the inside with heaps of carbon tow thrown in for good measure;
3) Expoy in a large cf rod into the bottom of the wing from wing tip to wing tip - you may have to stop short of the wing tips o/a the dihederal;
4) Install a ballast box on the cg so you can add various weights for different conditions; and
5) As you are going to make a mess of the bottom of the wing putting in the spar, I would glass the bottom and repaint it.

I did a similar job on this Vampire's sister ship, the Durafly Spitfire and it flies great. Here's a blog entry about the maiden flight: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429897
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyFly DG-808S
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the info.

The Spitfire looks ace - nice conversion!

Hm, I admit I'm just curious about PSS and normally fly gliders or EPP ships on the slope. I fell in love with the Vampire already some time ago and maybe you know it, the type/shape of an aircraft can get a kind of obsession. I like the de Haviland designs a lot - The DH 104 Devon for example...

I wished something like this would be available as EPP version... The Durafly Vampire is quite cheap (~ 54 USD ) ARF. Sure a lot of reinforcement is needed but I thought without gear I can easily spent arnd 600 g ( 21+oz) for that. I thought about completly covering the wings and other parts to prevent the EPO from "exploding" in an impact and rather just break. The twinboom is a weakness I could live with just for the fun of it.

*cratching my head* Maybe I'll just give it a try and see what happens...
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,183 Posts
Why not just make your own from EPP. It's pretty darn simple enough to do.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member