HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:34 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Question
glue question

What's the best glue for aluminium to plastic?

thanks
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,006 Posts
Stabilit Express, or a 2-part acrylic adhesive.

In the U.S. I use these; available from auto part stores.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Thanks for your reply... Will try to find out an equivalent glue here...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,117 Posts
You could try Polyurethane glue or CA too. I would rough up both surfaces also. You did not say what type of plastic. Polyethelene and nylon can be difficult to glue. I think CA (cyano-acrylate) melts styrene plastics.

Jake
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Indeed it's nylon...
Gorilla glue can't be used here?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
Indeed it's nylon...
Gorilla glue can't be used here?
Then forget the 2-part acrylic! Can you be more specific as to exactly what you're attempting to do? A photo of the intended assembly, or repair?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Atm, I don't have any photo... But the idea it's for gluing a small alu circle to a nylon fuselage. Motor will be attached to that circle via screws.

I'm also thinking in using screws together with glue to hold that alu circle to the fuselage.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:39 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
Atm, I don't have any photo... But the idea it's for gluing a small alu circle to a nylon fuselage. Motor will be attached to that circle via screws.

I'm also thinking in using screws together with glue to hold that alu circle to the fuselage.
I've not heard of nylon being used for a fuselage before. In any case, you have a slippery plastic. In your case I'd use a urethane adhesive such as GOOP. Not sure what is available for you, but you should be able to find GOOP, or similar, in a home improvement, or craft store.
Sand the matting surfaces of the aluminum and nylon and apply adhesive as per instructions and let dry for several days. And yes, use screws.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
Difficult to comment without really seeing the problem, but why bother with glue at all? I assume the aluminium is to stop the motor damaging the nylon? Could you simply use longer mouting screws that pass through the motor mount, the aluminium circle and the fuselage and some washers and bolts inside the fuselage to hold it all together?
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
39 Posts
Roughen the plastic with some 80grit paper,apply a bead of silicon sealant in the centre and then press your roughened alloy disc into place, attach with 4 small self taping screws.
I have used this method to hold plastic floats to the alloy struts on seaplanes with great success. On fibreglass the gell coat separates when you try to remove the floats
Wikiflieger is offline Find More Posts by Wikiflieger
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
First of all thanks for all your feedback here!

So, here is my issue...
That X cross is from the original motor mount pack.
The idea is to attach a bigger alu plate (circle) so that it covers all the nose plus a margin...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,117 Posts
Ah an AXI motor. Are you going to backmount it or mount it inside the fuselage like an inrunner?

I would here make a firewall that is smaller than the plane's nose but bigger than the hole in the front of the fuselage and glue it in from behind, maybe with epoxy or something like gorilla glue, and then screw the motor in from behind the firewall, which can't go out the front because the firewall is pulling the fuselage.

You could make the firewall out of decent 1/8 birch plywood too. If its nylon probably a rubber based glue like Walthers Goo or contact glue might work. even Phenoseal adhesive caulk. I do not know where in Portugal you can get this. Maybe even Hot Melt Glue
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Agreed on making a "firewall". Use some G10 (aka circuit board base), it's a glass epoxy laminate. Strong and lightweight, and can be epoxied in, then drill the holes for the motor mount.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
HI HF_ALT

You need the following
http://www.espritmodel.com/cb-motor-mount.aspx
or you can just make your own from plywood.

Frans
snarf007 is offline Find More Posts by snarf007
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:27 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions...

The motor is a brushless outrunner, an axi 2820/12.
I also have considered using plywood instead of alu. The only reason I firstly thought using alu is due to better heat dissipation as the motor can get quite hot. However, plywood will be much easier to attach to the fuselage (supposedly).

I've white gorilla glue, hot glue, and epoxy to try out. Maybe I can also try using pcb board I've laying around (not sure if it can really handle the motor without breaking).