SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:56 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,228 Posts
Have to agree that motor gliders make good trainers.

The only shortcoming to the motor glider as trainer is that as delivered, most cannot take off or do touch and goes. MGs with pylon mounted motors and with some kind of undercarrriage/wheels can do touch and go off smooth runway.

As I thought about this concept of MG as trainer, I looked at my HZ Supercub,,,,,,,,,,with a 20% longer wingspan, I think it can fly similar to a MG.

If I can find someone with a broken SC wing, I think I'll cannibalize that and add/graft 5 inches to each wingtip of my SC. Should make an easy flying trainer even easier to fly.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:13 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
I'd second ArneHu's idea.
Chen
Me too. After a few hectic attempts with a foamies, I decided to play it safe and electro-mod an old balsa glider for training purposes. I shortened the 50" wings to 30", fiited huge wheels and made some aelerons for it.

It took off OK and flew nice and controllably. If my build had been better, it wouldn't have crashed! Anyway, I bought another kit just for the wings, so I could experiment a bit more..and have something to do while the winter weather is too atrocious for flying.
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post

The only shortcoming to the motor glider as trainer is that as delivered, most cannot take off or do touch and goes. MGs with pylon mounted motors and with some kind of undercarrriage/wheels can do touch and go off smooth runway.

As I thought about this concept of MG as trainer, I looked at my HZ Supercub,,,,,,,,,,with a 20% longer wingspan, I think it can fly similar to a MG.

If I can find someone with a broken SC wing, I think I'll cannibalize that and add/graft 5 inches to each wingtip of my SC. Should make an easy flying trainer even easier to fly.
There have been a few in the past. You might have to look them up to see what I'm talking about, but two that come to mind with sailplane wings and landing gear are "Miss Stick" and "Butterfly". The Miss Stick was a kit, but you'd have to find one on Ebay or something. I don't know who sells the Butterfly, but it is an option on Real Flight 6. Both are tailfeather planes though (3 channel).

Or, you could suitably modify a powered sailplane to have a simple taildragger landing gear too. It wouldn't be too hard.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:44 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post

The hawksky,diamond 2500,super sky surfer all three will take off the ground
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:45 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
989 Posts
You can get the " Buterfly " from Tower. They only show a KIT no ARF's. Nice plane I still have one I converted to electric.

If you get one ~~ just be carefull on take off . Into the wind they don't require much power and even less elevator. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,178 Posts
My Radian Pro is one of my favorite to fly planes! learned alot about flying with it.
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
My Radian Pro is one of my favorite to fly planes! learned alot about flying with it.
And a beauty it is to ! been thinking about getting one myself
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:57 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,990 Posts
Does the Radian have ailerons?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
i dont think it does, go with the pro and do any mods that people are doing, like i always replace stock esc on all my planes, with a bigger one ,and then the control rods and clevis,s if there not up to par replace,and any servos that are freaking out.

Or just get the Art tech diamond 2500 I have two and there the best most stable ones i have flown. I got one from nitroplanes,replaced esc with a 60 amp, then went up to a 2650 4s lipo, then i installed servos for the flaps. flys like a dream.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,990 Posts
A friend of mine has a Radian and likes to fly it off the Rio Grand Gorge bridge in Taos. He's very good too, but I have noticed his Radian has a very severe rudder flutter. (That sounds funny because it rhymes). Really though. It hasn't caused any damage, but you can actually see it flutter in a dive.

If it were me, I'd cut ailerons into the Radian. Even with it's circular dihedral.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
pusher gliders are my favorite

I started with a wild hawk. $80 rtf , found new old stock @ local harbor freight. All the stock electronics are a little on the weak side, but it gave me a chance to fly while figuring out what i really wanted out of my flying experiences. i was also able to hone my fuse repairing skills. But never had to replace a motor, mount or prop! The pusher set ups are the way to go for a stone cold newb. The wild hawk gave me the chance to learn with out having to replace motors and props with every "less than perfect" landing. Its a little under powered but thats makes you stay ahead of the plane (anticipate) rather than getting behind the plane (reacting). The hawk can glide gently and fly sporty. I have learned a lot about basic set up and tuning from this plane. The 3 chan set up is not bad. You can do loops, bank and yank, rudder rolls, stall turns and even get it inverted. I have extended the control surfaces and it reacts quite well for rudder/elev plane. I added ailerons last week end but not happy with the su yet. It rolls harder on rudder but turns nice and smooth on the ailerons. Getting the left thumb in on the action is interesting to say the least. The wild hawk isnt available any more but there is many options in the pusher /glider arena. Bigger fpv (bixler) to small and sporty (floater). I just got my floater in the mail tues.

I have some vids posted in my blog if want to take a look.

happy flying
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
The PRO does, and flaps. The 'regular' Radian is and RE ship and more floaty than the heavier/faster Pro.

I have both the Multlplex Easy Star and the Minimoa. After learning to fly fairly well, I find the Minimoa (4ch) much easier to fly than the ES(3ch)... Was not the case when learning though.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates